PDA

View Full Version : Footstrap Positioning

johnk
29th May 2009, 07:02 AM
Hi Roger,

I was reading through the Starboard tuning tips regarding footstrap positioning. Some instructional material reccomend using the inboard intermediate position while learning the footstraps. Do you agree with this or do you teach sailors to use the outbaord advanced positions from the very beginning?

http://www.star-board.com/2009/img/2009-go-tuningtip.jpg

Thanks,
John

Youri
29th May 2009, 08:06 AM
Hi,

I cannot speak for roger, but from my experience, the inboard strap will definitely be easier to get yourself into at first. I have a GO 2006, and the outboard straps are right by the edge of the board. Meaning the the rail of the board sink if you don't have enough speed, making it almost impossible to be in the straps without being on a plane.

If you use the inboard setting, you can actually take more time to get in the strap before gaining speed, giving you time to get used to the process, and the board will be easier to maneouver since the back foot is closer to the center of the board.

The outboard strap will give you better stability and let you sail at higher speed with ease.

My suggestion, use the inboard for the first few times. As soon as you are comfortable with getting in and out of them, move to the outboard straps.

Ken
29th May 2009, 11:55 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with the inboard strap position. Easier to use and learn. You only need to use the outboard straps when you begin to achieve board speeds over 20 knots or when the board become a handful and it's difficult to manage and maintain control.

The wider straps provide the leverage you will need to counter the lift from the fin at speed. The foil of the fin will try to lift it to the surface as speeds increase, which will cause lack of control. If you put on a smaller fin at speed, there will be less need to be in the outboard strap position. If you put on a larger fin, you will need the outboard straps at lower speeds.

Youri
30th May 2009, 02:40 AM
True Ken,

John, just don't confuse lower speed with slow speed ;)

crazychemical
30th May 2009, 04:58 PM
when i first got my GO 139 the dealer put the footstraps fully outboard for me. To be honest, in heinsight i wish i'd put them on myself and preferably more inboard because even though the outboard settings are awesome once you learn how to use the, they ask for a fare bit of technique to get into and also a good deal of sailpower. I think because of my outboard preset it took me 2ce as long to controle footstrapsurfing then it should have. However, now, i can basicly sail any board with any setting and for freeride boards i even prefer super outboard settings like the Go has (or ISonic).

have fun experimenting is what i say!

cheers

Ken
31st May 2009, 02:48 AM
YOURI,

Good point, but "lower", "slower" and "control" are all relative to the experience of the sailor.

Crazychemical makes the best point - it's just plain easier to learn with the staps in the inboard position.

Roger
31st May 2009, 02:53 AM
Hi guys,
I put togther a post on this a couple of nites ago, but it's clear that it did not get posted.
All of you are correct!
Nothing at all wrong with "progressing" from the intermedi.ate inboard and forward strap positions (just not the way forward "begnner" strap positions, which I consider somewhat dangerous as they put your feet in straps within the impact/pinch zone of the mast foot and mast base).
If this make ist easier to learn to put your feet in the straps, that's a good thing.
Just continue to be aware that eventually you will wane them all the way back and outboard to get the full performance from your board.
Once you learn to trust the straps to keep your feet in positon, and learn to get your weight off the board and onto the rig, it becomes much easier to work your way otu into the outboard and back straps.
A couple of things I see here that need to be addressed:
1/ While you can get away with it, getting into the footstraps BEFORE you get planing is normally not a good idea.
Being in the straps limits your range of movement, and puts you too far back and outboard on the board for non-planing sailing.
Trying to get into the footstraps before your board is up on a plane can PREVENT you from making the transition onto a plane.
2/ If you are having issues with the board turning upwind when you try to get your front foot into the front footstrap, you are making a couple of errors.
When you go for the front footstrap your weigh must be entirely supported by your back leg (over the board's centerline and in front of the rear straps) and the lift from the rig.
If you place any weight on the fornt foot, out near the rail, the board will immediately head upwind.
And, once in the front foot strap, you need to wait for the board to accelerate and the rig to power up so it will support virtually all of your weight without putting any weight on the fornt foot or...... instant roundup.
Hope this helps,
R

eugenio
4th June 2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Roger,
in these conditions:
-very very light wind,
-freeformula 157 (84 cm width) and 9,5 freerace sail,
seems me to gain a lot in early planing with all inboard strap.
Is it right?
Thanks
Eugenio