PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth yardstick for formula boards

screamer1664
3rd June 2009, 05:01 AM
I must be mmad but to improve my racing I have started racing against dinghies on my formula board. However, no pints can be awarded without a portsmouth yardstick value. Has one been agreed for formula boards ever?

ceri
3rd June 2009, 02:11 PM
i do not think so , but i will look into it.

jay.
3rd June 2009, 07:11 PM
i currently do the same thing racing dingies and requested a yardstick, this was returned to me and i was given a yardstick of 500 i believe in the sailign world this is equivalent to an 18 foot skiff.

Unregistered
3rd June 2009, 08:06 PM
hopefully when you race you can plane, otherwise your yardstick will be worse then the illustrious and late phil bolger's "brick".

Unregistered
3rd June 2009, 10:04 PM
What is that? Yardstick.

Unregistered
4th June 2009, 01:18 PM
Its a piece of wood 3 feet long.

michelb
4th June 2009, 10:17 PM
Sorry can you explain also for what anybody can need a Yardstick?

Papounet
5th June 2009, 12:36 AM
LOL (-:
http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/

michelb
5th June 2009, 12:53 AM
Ok, then is like a handicap. Someone tell is "a piece of wood 3 feet long" ( like My .... jajaja).

Saludos,

sailquik
7th June 2009, 09:42 AM
It will be difficult and probably be unfair to try to use a yardstick number without adjusting it for wind strength. I note that the latest version linked above has such adjustment for the Windsurfer class div 11 boards.
It will be even more variable with a planning board at the bottom end. Sub planing you will struggle to even make the upwind mark and beat the kids trainer dinghys. In 12-15 knots you will be flying relative to most other craft.
The system has a method to work out yardsticks in reverse (Personal Yardsticks). Sail a few races and have the handicapper work it out, but keep a record of the conditions so you can link it to them.
I would suggest starting at around 80 in planing conditions and see where it puts you.