PDA

View Full Version : slalom season

juan1
17th June 2009, 01:53 PM
is the way(clearly) albeau is leading the 2009 slalom events suggesting that the previous years was the sailor and not the baoards?
do you think he will be also winning whith any other board like rrds or fanatics?
reagards juan

viking
17th June 2009, 03:09 PM
Of course it is clear. It is good, many people will open their eyes on this forum... I was treated like a fool when I said AA would win as easy as before with his new boards, now the demonstration is done!

Ken
17th June 2009, 08:56 PM
There are so much great equipment out there (boards, sails, fins, masts, booms) that the top sailors will remain on top regardless of what they use. It's more a matter of confidence in their gear than brand name.

I do believe that the top sailors if given a choice will likely favor one board or sail over another, but that doesn't mean the gear is better, just that the gear is better suit their sailing style and or comfort, which results in more confidence.

nonopr
17th June 2009, 09:13 PM
Too early still. Many of the top competitors are in very good position right now for anything to happen.

juan1
17th June 2009, 11:02 PM
the thing is that the boards AA is using are not developed by him
2010 boards will claim his experience and knoledge but the ones he is using has been developed before he joins
its soon , i know but he jumps in new boards and allready wins two out of three races (the fisrt was a tabou anyhow) so perhaps the so advertised isonic boards are not the ultimate as they suggest in every windsurf magazine around
they say was the board not the man and for me is clear that the bopards are good of course but the winner was the man himself
juan

Per
18th June 2009, 01:38 AM
Starboards results through the last years speak for themselves, but of course they're not the only brand who can make competitive (and winning) boards. They just seem to be two years ahead most of the time. This also means some quite radical experiments like the Hypersonic will appear. AA would probably be among the best on any gear. A year ago Dunkerbeck stepped on a iSonic for the first time and started winning. I guess Ken is right, it's a matter of personal choice and sailing style. The best gear is the gear that works best for you.

raffig
18th June 2009, 05:04 AM
Just check the PWA Korea video and AA amazing straight board speed in the first reach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RD-ch90Eo

This is flying!

Grant
18th June 2009, 07:16 AM
It would be interesting to know if his new NP sails have given him an advantage. They sure look radical!

juan1
19th June 2009, 01:28 PM
anyway , isonics are still clearly on the top choice for anyone that want not to take risks on the boards election
if you go armed whith isonics to an slalom event then you know that is you and not the board the responsible on your results
but i have a doubt , why isonics are on the heavier side of the slalom boards?
still planing well but imagine a isonic 1 kilo lighter?
juan

Vando
19th June 2009, 04:26 PM
Something to note that Steve Allan could of bought any board in the world but he chose Starboard and so far it looks like it has paid off.

Unregistered
19th June 2009, 04:58 PM
Steve A hasn't tried all the board neither... he had a go last year on one and found them good, nothing more than this!

I think I was running ouyt of time as well to get tuned for the new season.

LK
19th June 2009, 11:20 PM
Well said, if you have to pay for your board and want to win, you buy what is best.
:-))

Unregistered
20th June 2009, 07:23 AM
Steve is also using a Tabou 110.

viking
20th June 2009, 10:25 AM
It will be very interesting to see the ranking after the first event discard (is it after 4 or 5 events), then we will have an idea of the final ranking. Buzianis and Williams can come back on the podium easily.

I think Ross Williams is the next big champion in slalom (when A2 will end his domination, I think he has a couple of good years still to come), he is talented in waves too.

This year will be very interesting. Not for the first place, but the podium will be a serious contest between BD/Maynard/Williams/Buzianis and maybe one or 2 other guys.

Regarding to the boards performance, it is clear that it is the sailor who makes the result, not the board. It is more a question of style rather than performance that will make a sailor performing better or not on one board. Of course, the rig is very important and I guess than the difference of performances between the rigs are more significant than between the boards.

Grant
20th June 2009, 08:24 PM
The real test would be to have AA and DB switch equipment back and forth between races within events with conditions being similar. Give them time to tune the equipment to their liking and then let them go at it! BD wouldn't have switched last year if he didn't think equipment made a difference. I suspect the better you and your competition are the more of a difference the equipment makes - the difference may seem subtle to everyone else, but if you're fighting for a top spot it'll seem huge to you. Boards, rigs and skegs - select the right stuff for the conditions and tune it properly and all other things being equal you'll most likely be a winner. If not, then why are racers paying thousands for a single fin if equipment isn't a major factor at this level?

Grant
28th June 2009, 12:51 AM
Is Steve Allen independently wealthy? How else can he afford to compete at the top level without sponsors? I'd like to know more about him.

Windman
28th June 2009, 02:35 PM
Hi, Grant,

You can read about Steve at http://www.steveallen.pl/.

In the "Contact" section, you can mail him, but I do not think he is independently wealthy.

Regards,

Windman

Grant
29th June 2009, 07:20 AM
Thanks Windman - I googled his name and found an interview with him and he talks about why he doesn't have sponsors. He's not very happy about one of his former sponsors (Gaastra)!

viking
29th June 2009, 07:45 AM
I heard he became a kind of TV superstar in Poland in a singing contest show or this kind of program. Maybe he gets his money from that.

Unregistered
30th June 2009, 09:15 PM
his wife's parents own a chain of pharmacies. Bet that has subsidised his career. He got paid to go dancing with the (polish) stars. Probably much better money than WS.