PDA

View Full Version : Evo 90 in high winds?

Doby
25th July 2009, 12:57 AM
Hi looking for a one waveboard quiver. My weight is 90 kg. Currently ride a RRD wave cult 92 -06. Sails 4.2- 6.0. This board is great in the waves but doesn´t perform very good on the lake were I sail 90 % of the time. It gets very choppy and the RRD bounces around a lot making it hard to do anything funny. Tried a Fanatic freewave 86 and it was so much better in the choppy conditions.

I want a board that is good for blasting and jumping on the lake but also give me a lot of fun when waveriding in the slow waves in Sweden such as Torö, Åsa. Have been looking at the evo 90, tried the -06 but is has changed a bit since then hasn´t it? Or is a evo 80 or kode a better bet? Will be using the board mostly with 4.7 and 5.3 but occasionally with 4.2 and 6.0 ( 6.0 only in waves as I have freestyle for flatwater).

Ola you may reply in Swedish if you wish to rrd@spray.se

Ola_H
28th July 2009, 10:49 PM
The EVO 90 is quite OK when it comes to control when you wave ride, but when blasting it's still a rather wide board. But I think t will be an awesome board for Torö for someone at your weight. So if that's a big priority, It think you should give it a go. An EVO 80 would work too due to its width, but particularly for Torö most people do need shear volume on the inside which makes the 80 a less good alternative. Also, I think 6.0 on the E80 is not a viable alternative at 90 kilor. An fsw like the Fanatic or Kode just below 90 liter would be a better board for blasting, but isn't really so good for Torö.

The 07 and newer EVO 90s are looser and just plain better than the earlier ones and I would say control is better too.

Doby
29th July 2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks Ola, been looking at the evo 90 for years but actually never bought one because of it´s width. A wish for future evo lines is a 60cm wide 90. For me it´s not a light wind waveboard so I think it´s too wide.

Ola_H
29th July 2009, 02:37 PM
The new Quad 86 would be perfect then. 60.5 and with a narrower tail, but all that fin area plus a faster rocker powers up the tail for upwind and planing but the Quads are still easier turning than the EVOs and with a wider speed range on the wave.