PDA

View Full Version : New Formula 2009

Unregistered
29th July 2009, 04:09 PM
The 2009 Formula board is slighty changed a bit I have seen. Looks like it rocks now, and racers have more to choose. First, it was the F2 Z to beat, but now the Starboard also rides very loose and controlable.

Can Starboard explain a bit to the visitors of this forum, what they have changed about the board? It should not be much, while you can only change a certain amount on a board during the season (max 8 % I thought?)

michelb
30th July 2009, 02:36 AM
"The 2009 Formula board is slighty changed a bit I have seen. Looks like it rocks now, and racers have more to choose. First, it was the F2 Z to beat, but now the Starboard also rides very loose and controlable.

Can Starboard explain a bit to the visitors of this forum, what they have changed about the board? It should not be much, while you can only change a certain amount on a board during the season (max 8 % I thought?) "

Are you sure what you tell??? As I know the Formula 162 must be unchanged for 2 years, then there is no changes to August 1st 2009 ( I'm waiting for this new information). As I know the only change is now are 2 versions ( Std Wood Formula 162 and Formula 162 " FOD". The only difference is in the extra paint in the deck.

saludos,

Michel
Formula 161, Gaastra Vapor 10, 11 mts
Chile

Unregistered
30th July 2009, 04:56 PM
I think he meant to say 2010 formula board, that may be unveiled in august.

ceri
3rd August 2009, 05:17 AM
i am sure it is 2010. Starboard always play to the rules, and are solid supporters of formula. FW gives the best opportunity to race in all wind conditions, with the least amount of equipment, and .... sorry , i digress

Unregistered
4th August 2009, 11:54 PM
There's another difference betwen the standard 162 and the OD 162. The standard 162 comes with a Drake R19 fin, and the OD with a Deboichet R20.

michelb
5th August 2009, 02:43 AM
But the board is the same..... design mould. That is the important thing with the Formula rules. The design of the board need to be the same. About Fin's are free, you can use the finyou want, if the fin are no longer than 70 cm.

nonopr
5th August 2009, 06:15 AM
There's another difference betwen the standard 162 and the OD 162. The standard 162 comes with a Drake R19 fin, and the OD with a Deboichet R20.

The 162 never came with the R20. They kept the R19 in production.

michelb
7th August 2009, 02:22 AM
Look what I found surfing the net....

http://www.iwindsurf.asia/index.php/windsurfshop/windsurfingboards/53-starboard-windsurfing-boards-2010/255-starboard-formula-windsurfing-board-10.pdf

Saludos,

Michel

nonopr
7th August 2009, 06:42 PM
iSonic and Formula boards for 2010 will not include fins at all. You have to buy your own.

Remi
9th August 2009, 06:48 AM
Hi All,

I confirm that the F162 was never deliver with a Drake R20

It was deliver with the FOD package a Deboichet R20 for ISAF proposal to became Olympic only.

The new HWR and LWR will be deliver with out fins, and for your information all fins who was working great on the F160 and F161 will be great on this boards.

All the best

Unregistered
10th August 2009, 02:37 AM
I think it happens because both boards are an evolution of the 160 and 161 (proven wonderfull designs...).
I use compete in FW and have sailed Starboard since the 158.The 162 wasn't my cup of tea (after a great season with the 161) so sold it ans re-bought an "old" 160 with great sailing pleasure again.
Can't wait the new HWR...

Unregistered
12th August 2009, 02:10 AM
I had just put an order on the new starboard. but i had no problem whit the 162.

From Denmark

nonopr
12th August 2009, 06:56 AM
I think the new Formula has a carbon top and a wood bottom. The top will be painted white and there is two models HWR and LWR.

Unregistered
13th August 2009, 10:31 AM
what fins would be good on the LWR and HWR?

nonopr
13th August 2009, 06:54 PM
The same fins you used for the 160 and 161 Formula board.

michelb
15th August 2009, 02:34 AM
Is very Strange for me that the HWR ( Heavy Weight Rider) has less volume than LWR ( Ligth Weight Rider) from:

http://www.star-board.com/2010/products/board_formula.php

Nice Boards Just like my 161.... No change for this year.

Remi
17th August 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Michelb,

This boards was develop from the F 160 & F 161 and the 160 was more orientate for light racers despite it have more volume than the F 161.

We have the same for the LWR and HWR, but this difference is not this who make the board more for light racers or heavy racers, but the width in the tail.

If you compare the F 160/161 to the LWR/HWR, there is a lot difference who are less visible but this improvement make the difference like :

- New rocker with the 2mm tail kick
- New Cut aways who help
- New construction in Wood/Carbone who give you the nice water touch from the wood with control and the rigidity and lightness from the Carbone. Result better acceleration with control in all conditions.
All this modifications help for the top speed but also for the up wind angle

Al the best

raffig
17th August 2009, 07:41 PM
and now the inevitable question...

which fins will work with the LWR and HWR? By the way, I think that the R20 is out of the game...not very successful if we see the equipment list in the last Europeans / Allegro Cup among the top riders.

Cheers,
Rafa

Unregistered
18th August 2009, 04:22 PM
I am 80 kg national level racer. Like many others I swich back to 160 last year as 162 did not work for me with usual Deboichet fins.

do you suggest me L or H model for me?
dont you thing all top racers will go for H (wider) board?

Thanks for your suggestion
S

Remi
19th August 2009, 07:06 AM
Hi Raffig,

All fins who was working great on the F160 and F161 will work perfectly on the LWR and HWR.

All the best

nonopr
19th August 2009, 07:13 AM
Remi,
Which formula board for a person in the 79 kilos and wind from 12-16 knots?

Remi
19th August 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Nonopr,

Both can be good in you case, but I will say because not hi-wind go for the HWR.

All the best

Unregistered
19th August 2009, 07:12 PM
Hello,

My weight is 77 Kg and I currently have a 162, could you please indicate which are the main differences between the HWR and the 162? Would it be sensible to keep the 162 as a light wind board?

Also, what would be the main differences between the LWR and HWR in terms of upwind angle / downwind speed considering my weight?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rafa

Remi
20th August 2009, 05:58 AM
Hi Rafa,

If we compare the LWR and the HWR to the F162, you will notice big difference and the main one is about power for your back leg and glide.
The LWR is the less physical with top glide > HWR > F 160 > F161 > F162
The HWR is faster everywhere and in all conditions than the F162, so in my opinion, no.
For up wind only in the lower wind the LWR will be for you little less angle and speed, but down wind will be faster and more free under your feet. But if you want to keep your F 162, the better option will be F162 and LWR.
For one board is depending of your style, if you are more a power man or a gliding man and of course about the main condition you use it.
If most of the time under 18 knots, I will say the HWR, over LWR.

Hope this help

All the best

Unregistered
21st August 2009, 01:07 AM
Please can you shine a bit more light on the peculiar new cut out shape? where is the clean shape. all corners and small steps confuse me.... so I guess it will confuse the water flow also? Why, for instance is the new shape stopped 1 cm before the real side cut out start making the rail in the last cm just not as clean as possible?

Maybey Jim Drake or Tiesda can give some inside flow explanation on this?

Unregistered
31st August 2009, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone
I am a light weight formular windsurfer with a weight of 65kg and will be windsurfing in condition between 8 - 16 knots. I will be placing an order soon, so please can anyone advise on which will be better between the HWR AND LWR.

If possible also what is the 3 sail range for my weight.

Regards
Sey1

Remi
1st September 2009, 01:40 PM
Hi Unregistered,

For your weight the LWR will be a better choice, more easy to get the max speed on it compare to the HWR who need more power. This board is built specially for light guys like you.

All the best

sergio_k
1st September 2009, 09:04 PM
Hi Everyone
I am a light weight formular windsurfer with a weight of 65kg and will be windsurfing in condition between 8 - 16 knots. I will be placing an order soon, so please can anyone advise on which will be better between the HWR AND LWR.

If possible also what is the 3 sail range for my weight.

Regards
Sey1
I'm lightweight too, 62kg..
Agree on the board - LWR, for sail range you only need 2: 11 for light wind (70cm fin), 9.0 for high wind(66-62 cm fin); boards/sails/fins progressed far enough so
no need for the third sail or a fin.

Unregistered
1st September 2009, 11:45 PM
REMI AND SERGIO
Thanks alot really appreciate your experience and time. Will surelly go for the LWR, and sail range 11, 10, 9.
One more question for you guys what is your reconmendation on sail make to go for. Gaastra Vapour, Red Code Severne, Or Neilpryde RS RACING.

Regards
Sey1

Unregistered
2nd September 2009, 12:37 AM
What I am reading is that in order to be competitive I will need 2 formula boards next season.
1 for lightwind and 1 for hi wind???
The point of the FW class rules that put boards on a 2 year cycle was to eliminate things like this and make formula easier to get into.

sergio_k
2nd September 2009, 09:59 AM
REMI AND SERGIO
Thanks alot really appreciate your experience and time. Will surelly go for the LWR, and sail range 11, 10, 9.
One more question for you guys what is your reconmendation on sail make to go for. Gaastra Vapour, Red Code Severne, Or Neilpryde RS RACING.

Regards
Sey1

I think all those brands are good, plus few more like North,Maui Sails,..., so it's what you like in the sail, personal preferance, availability, etc... Any could win you a race.

And to Unregirestered, if you heavy go for one, if not, o reason to buy 2 boards unless
your weight goes up and down 50kg

Unregistered
7th September 2009, 06:07 AM
I may have missed this, but does the two new Formula boards have inserts for two chicken straps or just one on the centerline. I see where the new Exocet formula board has inserts for two offest straps from the centerline as does the Mike Z boards. And I see where some folks in high wind places have added those inserts later.

Unregistered
7th September 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #30
"What I am reading is that in order to be competitive I will need 2 formula boards next season.
1 for lightwind and 1 for hi wind???
The point of the FW class rules that put boards on a 2 year cycle was to eliminate things like this and make formula easier to get into."

Poster #30, you do NOT need two boards to be competitive.

The option to have two boards is not new.
During 2008-2009 anyone could have two boards say a F2 Z (for light wind) and a 162 (for high wind).
Starboard i believe want to make Formula attractive to both Heavy and light weight racers, who want to ride Starboard.

Remi
7th September 2009, 06:30 PM
Hi Unregistered,

We make a board for light riders and heavy one to make satisfy all and give a chance to all to be competitive despit thei weight. Now is only up to you if you want to buy 2 boards, but as far I know their is no change on this since the beguining of the Formula. The rules say only one board for the event.

All the best

Unregistered
13th September 2009, 05:37 AM
Hi,

I am thinking of buying formula board. I am 172/76kg. Now I ride Angulo Magnum/Naish Redline. Which board would you suggest LWR or HWR. I mostly sail up to 22knots.
Please advise as I am a little confused with the choice. As always more choice more problems :-)

regards

Greg

Remi
14th September 2009, 06:09 AM
Hi Greg,

Did you will use this board for race or just for enjoy for light winds?

All the best

SeanAUS120
15th September 2009, 03:22 AM
Some photos of the new boards here in Santa Pola.

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35498

Unregistered
15th September 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Remi,

I believe both but at first I have to start sailing formula and learn as much as possible and than maybe race at the end of 2010.

greg

Unregistered
24th September 2009, 12:28 AM
Hi Remi,

So what do you suggest in terms of a choice for me?

Greg

Remi
27th September 2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Greg,

At your weight both can work but the LWR is less physical and more easy, so better to choose the LWR.

All the best

Unregistered
27th September 2009, 11:16 PM
thank you for help... i guess i will go for used 160 and after first year i will switch to something more "modern:" :-)
Thanx again

Greg