PDA

View Full Version : F161

G
17th November 2006, 01:02 AM
Hallo Remi,
what's the best starting set up of the board?
Footstraps,mastbase,hearness lines,boom height and sail trim (does it need a sail that "frees" or not??).
Please consider that I'll sail it powered by RS5 and R17S+5 and Birdi TBM +4
I've already ordered an R19S- +8 as suggested.

Thank you

G
18th November 2006, 05:39 PM
Another question is:
which is the right footstraps sense?
I mean,if you look at them you have to read "Starboard" from the rail or from the centre of the board?
I'm asking it NOT because of look problem but for functionality (they're not symmetrical to their longitudinal axis center).
Thank you

Remi
18th November 2006, 06:36 PM
Hi G,

This is my actual trim :

Footstraps all the way in the back and outside.
Mast base, this depend of your sails but for me with my Code Red 11m 1cm behind the middle of all the mast track.
Boom heught with a X9 boom : Chin
The R17 s + 5 doesn't deliver enough power up wind for this board, really dificult to drive over the water with that one. You really need the new R19. I don't know the Birdi.
For the foostraps, you have to read them from the center;

All the best

G
18th November 2006, 08:09 PM
Thank you Remi for your answer.
Do I have to sell my R17S+5 at all or may I use it in some particular wind/water condition?
And,right now (till I'll get the R19) is it better going on Drake provided fin or my R17?
I hope to have some board feedback tomorrow.

thank you

G
19th November 2006, 11:48 PM
OK,first little feedback.
Wind 6-12 kns gusty and shifty,flat water,rs5 10,7,r17s +5,boom chain,mastbase 1 cm behind centre,footstraps all the way back.
Do you want some more?!!!

bubi
20th November 2006, 02:50 AM
any expierience f161 with deboichet custom hard (stiffness)?
best regards

bubi

G
21st November 2006, 03:26 AM
Hi Remi,
from what I've seen in the first test (you can read the condition and the trim in the post above) the board tends to stay very low on the water and it does need to push hard to keep the nose up and riding fast and free.
It means that the R17 doesn't fit this board fine when so light (as you earlier stated) althought I kept planning as never done before (I was on 10,7!).
I couldn't test the provided fin because it flipped in the box and no time to fix it.
Well.
Now I have a question about fin rake (R19).
I guess it is strictly correlated to sail model and brand to sailor weight and to mast base position. Am I right?
I mean,if we use a more forward raked fin we obtain a bigger power for pushing the tail and keep the nose up,we can use a smaller sail (in the a given wind) and going at the same angle and we can move a bit back the mast base.Does it correct? If yes, it will happen if the sailor is able to strong push the fin!
But, what about if it doesn't happen?! I guess that a fin like this will slow down the board. Please correct me if I wrong,I wish learn here.
So what's better for a med weight sailor good trained (around 80 kg) a +8 or a more "human" and faster +6 ?
Thank you

But,what about board speed?
I think that in light wind a +8 is the way to go but what about when 15 kns or more?

Remi
21st November 2006, 08:25 AM
Hi G,

I develope this fin since last december with Patrick who is 78 kgs and for us the Rake + 8cm is the perfect one even over 15 knots. But please notice that we are faster with a R 13 medium rake + 8 over 20 knots.
The R17 is definetely not really good for this board, you will ride higher even with the Drake R19, but less nervous.

Hope you will receave soon your R19 soft-- rake +8cm to see the differents.

All the best

gl
28th November 2006, 01:45 PM
Hello Remi,
I follow your recommendations and understand that R19S-- is best option for upto 15 knots. What is recommended fin for 20 knots and above in choppy conditions?
You wrote:"But please notice that we are faster with a R 13 medium rake + 8 over 20 knots."

What about R19 M? I understand that there are 2 options to improve control in stronger winds:
1) Reduce rake (to e.g. 6+)
2) Go for stiffer fin.

What is better option in your opinion? Maybe just R19S (without --) is sufficient?

Thank you in advance

Remi
28th November 2006, 05:56 PM
Hi Gl,

Actually I prefer the R13 medium rake + 8 but + 6 can be good for lighter racers. I have a beter glide due to less surface in the tip, but only over 20 knots.

All the best

SeanAUS120
6th December 2006, 04:23 PM
Hi guys,

Thought I'd share some thoughts on the 161 as I've been sailing it quite a lot over the last few months.

One thing I&#39;ve noticed with this board, is that it is less sensitive to fin stiffness than previous model starboards. I find that I can get "almost" similar results with a S- or an M fin in most conditions under 15knots. At the bottom end of the wind range (<10knots), the softer fins are better, but the difference isn&#39;t as pronounced as you would think. I&#39;ve mainly been testing with an R19 S- and an R13 73cutdown M, and can get almost identical results upwind, with the R19 being a little faster downwind with its smaller tip.

This makes me understand why an R17 won&#39;t work in this board, and what fins you should really be using...

Basically, the extra width in the tail of the 161 is contributing to your lift upwind. Because the board is so big (and wide), you need a high-lift fin to unstick the board and get it to rail. High-lift fins can come in two forms, either a soft fin (soft fin relies on twist to get the lift), or a fin with a large area (like an R19). This is why I think you can get a M or a S-/S-- fin to do a similar job, as long as the M you are using is high in area (R19, R13 cutdowns). *** Although in saying that, a high area fin like an R19 that is super soft, should give you the greatest lift as it combines the best of both worlds, but a softer fin is usually a little slower than the same fin in M stiffness downwind.

The R16 and R17 fins are not high-lift fins. They have thinner cross sections and less area than R19/R13s and rely on speed to get the lift. Despite whatever you do to get the nose to lift on the 161 (ie, boom up, mast-track back, footstraps back), these fins simply don&#39;t generate enough lift to get this big board to rail and unstick the nose: more board in the water means more drag, which is slow.

So Remi is right on the money with having your mast track further back, straps in the back holes and not using an R17 in this board. Your main aim on this board to go fast is to get the nose up and the board railing...

Racer
11th December 2006, 06:53 AM
Sean

When you say that power can come from either rake or softness have you ever tried or seen a C3 Jay?
The fin i have appears to have no rake compared to a deb fin, but it&#39;s hard to quantify as its a different shape. However the fin is soft with lots of twist.
Would you think that such a fin would be more powerful than a R13 H +2 in light wind?
Most deb fins now seem to be both soft and racked at least +6

honk
11th December 2006, 10:11 PM
After yr advice, we bought 3 pces of R19 S from Deboichet
I use my R 19 RF6 on my F161, my friends use the R19 RF8 on the F159. We all have the same problem, the board tends to spin out on light wind , strong wind. We do understand it is because we press the back leg too much but we are all experience sailors and this has not happen in our previous board and fin setup. Since we are using on the F161 and 159 ( 2 different kind of boards ) we suspect there is something we should know how to make better use of the R19. Could we have yr advice and suggestions on this spin out problem

Remi
12th December 2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Honk,

The R19 soft -- rake +8 cm is specialy dedicace to the F 161. So I never try it on the F 159, but this fin must be too much powerfull for this board (Tail is too narow).

You may try the Rake + 8cm on the F 161 and put your mast base as much as possible in the back. This depend of the size and trade mark of the sail you use. But for me (Severne) and Julien (Pryde) it&#39;s behind the middle of all the track.

Hope this can help.

All the best

SeanAUS120
18th December 2006, 08:29 AM
Racer:

To make it a little complicated, there are a few varieties of C3 Jay fins that I have come across on the market. I wont comment on how the difference in rake/shape between a C3 and a Deb will make the board perform, because its something I dont totally understand, however one thing I do know on the C3 Jays is that its important to have a fin that is torsionally stiff, to get it to work upwind (and downwind). By &#39;torsional stiffness&#39; I mean if you put the fin in your board and turn the board upside down, then twist the fin tip left and right with your thumb and index finger (like you are unscrewing a beer bottle top), that is the torsional stiffness, as opposed to the stiffness we normally are talking about when you bend a fin over your knee.

The early Jay fins from Boogie werent very torsionally stiff, and as a result we found the Debs a lot faster upwind/downwind. A few of the boys down in Sydney worked with Boogie and managed to build soft fins that were torsionally stiff which were starting to get on par with the Debs. With the Sydney boys helping, Boogies fins were getting better and better and better with each new Jay proto, but unfortunately, Boogie now no longer makes fins. So there are only about 3-4 versions of these torsionally stiff Jays I have seen in existence which are all down in Sydney so my guess would be yours is an older version (>12 months old?), which would be soft, torsionally. This wont give you the same power as a soft Deb fin. ALL the Deb fins are quite torsionally stiff, whether they are S-- or H+, which is why they are such nice fins ;)

So back to the point (lol), I think your Jay will be better (more power) than an R13 Hard +2 simply because it is softer and getting more power from the flex/twist of the fin than a H fin will, but it wouldnt be anywhere as good as a modern R13/R19 S- especially if you got one raked forward >+6cm. As a rule of thumb, I think the further you rake a fin forward, the more torsional stiffness you need to go downwind fast, because if your fin is twisting too much downwind, you are losing the loading you are generating on the fin with your legs as the fin keeps releasing (as it twists from side to side), which could also mean you spinout a little downwind or that the board &#39;fin-steers&#39; (ie, the board controls where you go, instead of YOU controlling where you go!)

Honk:

The R19 works great in the 159. In fact, it works fine in the 159, 160 and 161 (although with the 161 you can obtain the best speed/angles out of that fin). On the 159 with the R19 I use the mast track ALL the way back (ie, mast plate covering the serial number) with a 10.7 in all winds (a little further forward with 11.6/12.5 or if you are >90kgs in weight) and with the 161 the mast track a little behind centre (ie, 2cm behind centre) in all winds. With the mast track further forward you are pushing the nose of the board down which may give you an uneven loading on the fin. Also try filing the front (or back) of your fin head so you can adjust the rake 1-2cm while on the beach, and try your fin at a few different angles next time you go sailing. For every cm you change the rake of a fin you are changing how the fin twists/performs and this is very personal to your sailing style and maybe why you are getting spinout (strange, because I have never experienced spinout with the R19 in any board). There could be a host of reasons for spinout too (not enough downhaul, boom to high [overloading the fin], footstraps too far apart [incorrect loading of fin] ??? but probably you guys are good sailors and might know that already. . .

Testing gear is like computer programming, just try everything one step at a time and you will eventually eliminate all variables until you figure out why your spinning out.

Err...sorry about the long post :S

Racer
18th December 2006, 01:13 PM
Sean
Many thanks for your detailed reply. I used the C3 recently and did find it more powerful than the R13 H, but really slow up and down wind.
It is torsionally very soft and your answer explains all.

konstas
19th December 2006, 04:25 PM
KOSTAS GR
Hello i want to ask you a guestion .Im 1.70m and 66 kgr. Wnat is better to use E161 or APOLLO ?. THANK YOU

Remi
19th December 2006, 11:37 PM
Hi Konstas,

It&#39;s depend of what you would like to do with this board and wind condition you have in your spot.

Formula Racing between 7 to 30 knots = F 161
Free Racing : under 12 konts = Apollo
Formula Racing with 70cm fin under 10 knots = Apollo

Per, on us who develope this board who is only 60 kgs like this board with 11m under 10 knots.

Formula Racing fins rules still 70 cm max, may be change nest year for 75cm after trials with all top racers during an big event.

All the best.

konstas
20th December 2006, 02:26 PM
KOSTAS GR
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER REMI
Our Formula Recing condition in Greece is beetween 8-34 knots uswaly the conditions is 9-18 knots. What you think to do?
WAT is your opinion for SEVERNE SAILS

konstas
20th December 2006, 02:40 PM
KOSTAS GR
SORI
SEVERNE SAILS CODE : RED R2 11-10 m

Remi
20th December 2006, 05:01 PM
Hi Konstas,

In this case, I recomand you to get the F161, you will be fast in all the wind range.

All the best

konstas
20th December 2006, 06:54 PM
THANK for your help.
After your answer I buy a F161.They send ne at march. What kind of fins yo said for use?;)

Remi
20th December 2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Konstas,

We develope with Deboichet a special fin for this board : R19 soft -- rake + 8cm.

All the best

d49
21st December 2006, 05:40 PM
Hi team

Is the supplied Drake "R19" fin no good for this board if you want to use it for racing with racing sails (RS 6) in 10-20 knots. how would you rate it compared to a R19 costum in terms of performance,rake, stiffness, etc.

Best regards
Lennart

Remi
21st December 2006, 06:03 PM
Hi D49,

The Drake R19 soft -- rake +8cm is a good one for a production fin. You can race with it, no problems, but if you want to increase your performances, the best way to go is the Deboichet R19 soft -- rake + 8cm.
The Drake is a copy under Deboichet licence, but not with the same carbone and this make a big difference. The Custom is more nervous and keep the board higher on the water.

All the best

konstas
23rd December 2006, 12:37 AM
HI REMI

I have a fin R13m +6 may i have to use that with F161?
and how many knots to use that?

Thank you very much

Remi
25th December 2006, 05:41 PM
Hi Konstas,

It&#39;s depend of your weight but over 15 knots for sure, the R19 is really fast until 15 knots.

All the best

sbaisen
29th December 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Remi, i will have the 161 and the Code Red 2 10 and 11, for my weight (68kg) do you think is good the fin wich you recomend R19 S -- Rake 8? I though to buy R13 S 68 R5 and maybe R13 S rake 5 70, do you think that i can compite with 70cm R19 S-- R8 and 68cm R13 S R5 or i need other intermediate fin, like the R13 S R5?
Thanks a lot!

Remi
29th December 2006, 07:30 PM
Hi sbaisen,

For light wind until 15 knots, the best way to go is the R19 soft -- rake + 8cm. The F 161 is really wide in the tail so you need a fin much more powerfull. This doesn&#39;t means that he will dificult to control it. We valid this fin from rider from 60 to 100 kgs.
If you compare it with your R13 soft rake + 5cm, you will plane earlier and go truth the lulls much more beter and you will keep a very good angle up wind. You will have the same benefits down wind.

For your second fin over 15 knots your R13 soft rake +5cm is ok. The 68 cm must be too small due to the extra widht of this board, maybe in extrrem wind condition but at this time your 10 m will be too big.

All the best

sbaisen
30th December 2006, 02:53 AM
thanks Remi, i think that i will order the r19, but the 68 with nice wind more than 15 knots will faster than the 70 no? i thought that a smaller fin with wind is faster than a bigger. what do you think is better for my weight, 68 or 70 for wind?
hanks a lot;)