PDA

View Full Version : Colour of Red Futura Underneath

mario.milhazes
27th August 2009, 08:02 AM
Hi

Does anyone have this board in red tecnhora?
I received mine today and its white underneath....??? I was sure it supposed to be red.

Thanks

Ola_H
29th August 2009, 02:13 AM
I believe it should be white underneath? Anyone else knows?

leysenkr
29th August 2009, 07:36 PM
Hi

Does anyone have this board in red tecnhora?
I received mine today and its white underneath....??? I was sure it supposed to be red.

Thanks

Hello Mario

Did you already try it?

Roger
30th August 2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Ola,
I've seen them both. Some have red bottoms, some have white bottoms.
I had to look at one that was perfect in every way, but the lady who bought it thought she was getting a red bottom and refused to accept the white bottom claiming that the board had been repaired or was a 2nd and had been refinished at the factory.
Hey, ALL Starboards are pretty much "handmade/hand finished" so I do not think we will ever see the consistency of truly mass produced/robotic QA inspected products.
Some come out of the factory a little more "perfect in every way" than others, but I've found that the vast majority sail identically.
Perhaps ask Tiesda if he can I.D. (by serial number or date of mfg.) which have white paint on the bottom and which have red paint on the bottom.
Hope this helps,

mario.milhazes
30th August 2009, 06:44 AM
Hello leysenkr

I tried to sail it today but there wasnt enough wind so i had to change gear to my 130L and 8.0m sail.

But i went to water with for about 1 hour trying to get use to the board....very diferent from my 130L that has 258cm of length and this one has only 240cm...one foot a little more on front and the nose will sink....lol.....but i liked the stability of the board....i could uphaul with some specific tecnic....the board is more sensitive to your foot position.

When i try it in high wind i will feedback.
Thanks for asking.

PS: Your futura is white underneath?

Hello Mario

Did you already try it?

leysenkr
30th August 2009, 09:00 PM
Hello leysenkr

I tried to sail it today but there wasnt enough wind so i had to change gear to my 130L and 8.0m sail.

But i went to water with for about 1 hour trying to get use to the board....very diferent from my 130L that has 258cm of length and this one has only 240cm...one foot a little more on front and the nose will sink....lol.....but i liked the stability of the board....i could uphaul with some specific tecnic....the board is more sensitive to your foot position.

When i try it in high wind i will feedback.
Thanks for asking.

PS: Your futura is white underneath?

Mine is bleu underneath.

mario.milhazes
10th September 2009, 10:40 PM
Watch out for starboard boards...

I bougth a Red Futura 101 L 2009 that supposed to be red underneath and it came out as white!!!!

Ive made several complaints to my local dealer, where i bought the board, i also filled up 5 times the "service and warrant" form and i had NO RESPONSE from any of them!!!!

So they just want to sell there products, get your money on there pocket and then ignore you when something goes wrong!!!!

What kind of company is this??? Im preparing a formal complaint to the Portugues and European Customer Service because this is not correct!!!!

I fill cheated and ripped off!!!!

Floyd
10th September 2009, 10:47 PM
Mario
Is the colour the only problem ??? You sound very agrieved ; white bottom ??? Try sunbathing ????

Ola_H
11th September 2009, 02:34 AM
Mario, I wrote a bit in some of the other thread concerning this. I'm trying to look things up for you but in the end it will have to go through your dealer anyway. They are the ones that are responsible for selling the board to you and the business arrangement is between them and you. So the most constructive way for you to go about with this is to sort it out with your dealer.

leysenkr
11th September 2009, 05:43 PM
I would also feel ripped off if this would happen to me. Is there any other way to distinguish a 2008 from a 2009 board?

But how is it sailing Mario?

van
11th September 2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Mario

Although I understand where you are coming from on this issue, personally I prefer a white bottom board as most repairs in my experience happen on the bottom and it's easier to repair and for the repair made not show rather than a colored bottom board.

Having said that this is not the issue here and boards should be sold as advertised. I hope you sort this out and although of course initially we have to go through the dealer, we all know dealers will be dealers, and at the end of the day it all comes down to the relationship you have with them. Starboard is responsible in supplying the dealers with wrong colored boards and should put things straight.

mario.milhazes
11th September 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Mario

Although I understand where you are coming from on this issue, personally I prefer a white bottom board as most repairs in my experience happen on the bottom and it's easier to repair and for the repair made not show rather than a colored bottom board.

Having said that this is not the issue here and boards should be sold as advertised. I hope you sort this out and although of course initially we have to go through the dealer, we all know dealers will be dealers, and at the end of the day it all comes down to the relationship you have with them. Starboard is responsible in supplying the dealers with wrong colored boards and should put things straight.

Hi Van

You are very right that repairing a white board is much easier than a coloured one.
But when i first looked at a red futura with its red bottom i loved it and said this is my next board!!!
Now i get a futura with a white bottom...what a dissapointment.....

The board sails very well.....high end speed and lots of control, i love it but that bottom white makes me feeling....that this is not 100% perfect!!

mario.milhazes
11th September 2009, 10:43 PM
I would also feel ripped off if this would happen to me. Is there any other way to distinguish a 2008 from a 2009 board?

But how is it sailing Mario?

Hi leysenkr

Like you said....the board is very fast and scary...but very good...best board i ever got on....only if the colour came out right i would be 100% satisfied!!

Thanks for asking

mario.milhazes
11th September 2009, 11:07 PM
Mario
Is the colour the only problem ??? You sound very agrieved ; white bottom ??? Try sunbathing ????

Hey

What is your problem???
Please show some respect for other peoples problems!!

Floyd
12th September 2009, 04:26 AM
Mario
First of all ; it was a poor attempt at humour. Apologies.

Second
You haven`t really got a problem !!!! The bottom of your board is white !!! It doesn`t really rate as one of life`s disasters does it ????

The performance; durability value and even aesthetics are totally unaffected.
If the board sails as expected; weighs within its limits and is free from defects I dont think you have any complaint....
Besides I assume you picked the board up from dealer ??? When did you notice colour ????
IMO (if you were unhappy with colour) you should have returned board immediately (or not taken it ?)
I`m not a great fan of some of Starboard`s policies and have criticised them myself on this very forum but in this case I cant see you really have any reason for complaint. (Unless the board is older than specified or faulty; you have not indicated either) Sorry

leysenkr
12th September 2009, 01:15 PM
Mario
First of all ; it was a poor attempt at humour. Apologies.

Second
You haven`t really got a problem !!!! The bottom of your board is white !!! It doesn`t really rate as one of life`s disasters does it ????

The performance; durability value and even aesthetics are totally unaffected.
If the board sails as expected; weighs within its limits and is free from defects I dont think you have any complaint....
Besides I assume you picked the board up from dealer ??? When did you notice colour ????
IMO (if you were unhappy with colour) you should have returned board immediately (or not taken it ?)
I`m not a great fan of some of Starboard`s policies and have criticised them myself on this very forum but in this case I cant see you really have any reason for complaint. (Unless the board is older than specified or faulty; you have not indicated either) Sorry

Hello Floyd

some humour, that is exactly his question!!

Mario

Does the underside looks like:

http://2008.star-board.com/2008/pages/products/v_futura.php
2D picture

Greetz

Floyd
12th September 2009, 03:56 PM
leysenkr

I assume from your comments that if you were a manufacturer you would now supply (entirely at your own cost) a new board with a red bottom and in its place take back a perfectly good (but now second hand) board of identical specification ; purely because dealer/ customer did not communicate ?????

I agree its not funny !!! This (IMO) is simply not a Warrany claim. If it becomes a successful one its at the cost to rest of buying public and to some with genuine warranty claims.

(Still think Sunbathing to get a red bottom was funny but the attempt at a claim isn`t !!!!)

Good luck though Mario ... You never know ????

Floyd
12th September 2009, 04:00 PM
PS
"Like you said....the board is very fast and scary...but very good...best board i ever got on....only if the colour came out right i would be 100% satisfied!!"

??????
The base is wrong colour ?????

mim
12th September 2009, 04:14 PM
In some other threads me and Floyd are like a day and night (or night and day...not to push someone on the dark side of things)...but on this one I have exactly the same opinion...especially on the pre-previous one!

Mario, go out and sail it...even with white bottom...am sure that the wind will blow this out of your mind.

Ciao M.

leysenkr
12th September 2009, 04:53 PM
leysenkr

I assume from your comments that if you were a manufacturer you would now supply (entirely at your own cost) a new board with a red bottom and in its place take back a perfectly good (but now second hand) board of identical specification ; purely because dealer/ customer did not communicate ?????

I agree its not funny !!! This (IMO) is simply not a Warrany claim. If it becomes a successful one its at the cost to rest of buying public and to some with genuine warranty claims.

(Still think Sunbathing to get a red bottom was funny but the attempt at a claim isn`t !!!!)

Good luck though Mario ... You never know ????

Your assumption is one off the possibilities but it is not the only possible one. So your assumption is incomplete.

What I assume is that deviant colours mostly indicate other differences such as model year (250€ difference). But the indication from Mim will clear that out. If you sell products through marketing (new colours but same shape f.e.), you must be able to handle marketing to come back to you sometimes.

Are you a dealer then Floyd? Because the question of Mario can only be answered by a Starboard member.

Floyd
12th September 2009, 06:23 PM
Leysenkr

We do not need to be dealers to express opinions. Mario states only "problem" is wrong colour on base. That is not a problem. (obviously IMO)

If dealers/manufacturers swapped boards on such issues in these circumstances (ie board has been used; so it wasn`t such a problem) they would soon be bankrupt ; or have to charge far more for their products. Either way sailors suffer.

And no I`m not a dealer but used to be !!!! BTW are you ?????

Just enjoy the board.
(PS there are many arguments for a white base)
a) White is more stable. (Less likely to fade. Guess the worst colour ? Red)
b) White is easier to colour match, for repairs.
c) White reflects more heat away.
d) White is faster. (???? Honest)

John Kemsley
12th September 2009, 06:53 PM
Being totally unbiased, if I ordered something in a certain colour and when it arrived it was different from that advertised I think I would feel agrieved. However as the board seems fine maybe there is a middle ground here - maybe SB should provide a free board bag??

John

leysenkr
12th September 2009, 06:59 PM
Leysenkr

We do not need to be dealers to express opinions. Mario states only "problem" is wrong colour on base. That is not a problem. (obviously IMO)

If dealers/manufacturers swapped boards on such issues in these circumstances (ie board has been used; so it wasn`t such a problem) they would soon be bankrupt ; or have to charge far more for their products. Either way sailors suffer.

And no I`m not a dealer but used to be !!!! BTW are you ?????

Just enjoy the board.
(PS there are many arguments for a white base)
a) White is more stable. (Less likely to fade. Guess the worst colour ? Red)
b) White is easier to colour match, for repairs.
c) White reflects more heat away.
d) White is faster. (???? Honest)

I'm no dealer. But this is definately a question to starboard members from a customer. And yes i'm a satisfied customer who would also be aggrieved when receiving an other version (looking more like previous version) than showed in the brochures! You can only find in the 2008 brochures boards with white bottom, you can't find anywhere pictures from a 2009 version with white bottom.

Please first read my post and try to understand before you react. If you buy a product, you buy marketing, if you sell marketing to get a higher price, you must also be able to handle some backfire from this marketing part. 'A' till 'D' has nothing to do with this!

Ola_H
12th September 2009, 07:46 PM
Just to put one thing straight, the serial no of Marios board clearly indicates it is a 2009 board (made in january 2009, so a rather late batch).

What is still unclear to me is if the 2009 red Futura is somewhere advertised as having a red bottom, if 2009 Futuras come with both white and red bottoms and if so, wether this alternates within batches or if (for example) the red bottom was found not to be particularly good so the bottom was changed to a white one (which manufacturers pretty much always reserve the right to do, without notice).

My position with Starboards is such that I don't have insight in these things - I only do some forum work, you know. I would still want Mario to walk away from this satisfied though. But that said, my personal belief is that it is still a matter between Mario and his dealer. And as someone indicated above, it is a bit of a stretch to see this as a warranty issue unless there is in fact something wrong with the board (like if the bottom was for example just forgotten when painting).

mario.milhazes
13th September 2009, 01:49 AM
Hi Everyone

Sorry for being so nervous and not acepting your jokes....but this is a case of feeling that a company doesnt treats the clientes as they deserve.

Ive sailed the board and i like i very much, best board ever, but i want an answer from the manufacturer of the board.......what im dissapointed is that nor the dealer nor the manufacturer says nothing about this issue!! The only thing that the dealer says that he sells what starboard sends him.

When i ordered the board i told the dealer that i wanted a RED one and had to wait for 2 weeks because he didnt have it in stock, i could have bought the 2008 model for less 200€ but i prefered to pay more for the board of my dreams......the 2009 Futura 101L all RED as seen on the beach and on catalogs!!

When you look at catalogs (http://www.isthmussailboards.com/pro...p?number=SB9FU) you can see that the bottom is red.....in in 2 or 3 years if i want to resell the board do you think that the people wont think that this board has been repaired because its white on the bottom.....so for sure i will loose money!!

I love starboard boards.....very easy to sail and very pretty, i was already negociating with my dealer to buy a Kode 86L and a Isonic 121L at the end of this year, but with this issue im thinking twice because i cant see any kind of answers coming back when something goes wrong.

When you spend your money, that you had to work hard to gain it, on a product you are after a quality product but also after a good post customer service from the manufactur that meaning the you will have some kind of feedback if you have a complaint.

In my country, Portugal, some companies are banned out of the market if they dont have an efficent customer service, we have a public departament where you can expose what happend and if the company doesnt reply it will be banned from selling there products, thats happening to a lot to asiatic companies (chinese most of all).

As i truly believe that Starboard is not like this i deserve an answer from them because the dealer says he sells what they send him!!

Im not against starboard.....i just want some feedback and justification why this happens!!

Good sailing to all!!

Maximus
13th September 2009, 05:49 AM
If you were so worried about the colour of the boards bottom, then why did you pick the board up from your dealer? You should have advised him to order another!

Screamer
13th September 2009, 06:12 AM
A few simple questions:

Why did you accept the board in the first place if you weren't satisfied with what you've got?
And then why you've sailed it (so it's not new anymore)?
How can you use it and only AFTER you've used it you demand explanation?

Maybe you could have answered these questions before threatening with a lawsuit, because your public department might ask you the same.

Yes it's red in some shop's catalogue. So what. Was it red on official website/official catalogue? Not sure. There's usually a disclaimer (when selling almost anything), that says "...reserve the right to change details without notice etc..." or similar.

Let's start a whole new forum on the subject of red bottoms ffs

leysenkr
13th September 2009, 03:46 PM
A few simple questions:

Why did you accept the board in the first place if you weren't satisfied with what you've got?

Maybe you could have answered these questions before threatening with a lawsuit, because your public department might ask you the same.

Yes it's red in some shop's catalogue. So what. Was it red on official website/official catalogue? Not sure. There's usually a disclaimer (when selling almost anything), that says "...reserve the right to change details without notice etc..." or similar.

It is red in SOME catalogue??? It is red in ALL videos and ALL catalogue!! That is a major difference!

If I would buy myself a second hand 2009 starboard with a white bottom i won't belief the person that it would be a 2009!! Because i can't find anywhere on the internet a 2009 version with white bottom!!

Floyd
14th September 2009, 03:41 AM
With all due respect think the whole premis of this thread is rather childish. !!!
To allow the colour of base of board to affect ones attitude towards that board is nonesense and then to let it detract from your enjoyment is even worse !!!!
Like quite a few on thread have said, if Mario felt so strongly about colour he should not have used board. To complain after using it; and then blame #B for not doing anything is petty.

Just sail and enjoy the board ; if its the only complaint you`ve obviously bought correct board !!!!

BTW. Where is information/evidence to suggest a white based board is less valueable 2nd hand ???? Its just bending truth to suit argument..I`ve sold/traded probably hundreds of boards. Neither a customer or dealer has ever suggested this to be case !!! Second hand boards are valued on condition not colour !!! (Thankfully)

mario.milhazes
14th September 2009, 05:43 AM
A few simple questions:

Hey

I complained at the moment i opened the board at the dealer....i told him that the board should be red on bottom and i didnt want it.

But he told me to pay the board, take it and use it that he was going to solve the problem,....but after 3 weeks no reply from him or starboard.

I dont want a board replacement because i used the board already and like it.
What i want is a ANSWER and EXPLANATION from the manufacture!!!!!

Just that, i think that i have that right!!!

Ola_H
14th September 2009, 05:55 AM
Hey

I complained at the moment i opened the board at the dealer....i told him that the board should be red on bottom and i didnt want it.

But he told me to pay the board, take it and use it that he was going to solve the problem, (i believed him, i know i was an inocent guy to belive that crap)....but after 3 weeks no reply from him or starboard.

I dont want a board replacement because i used the board already and like it.
What i want is a ANSWER and EXPLANATION from the manufacture!!!!!

Just that, i think that i have that right!!!

Hopefully we can get some explanations when the head quarter guys come home from the dealer meeting.

leysenkr
15th September 2009, 01:12 AM
With all due respect think the whole premis of this thread is rather childish. !!!
To allow the colour of base of board to affect ones attitude towards that board is nonesense and then to let it detract from your enjoyment is even worse !!!!
Like quite a few on thread have said, if Mario felt so strongly about colour he should not have used board. To complain after using it; and then blame #B for not doing anything is petty.

Just sail and enjoy the board ; if its the only complaint you`ve obviously bought correct board !!!!

BTW. Where is information/evidence to suggest a white based board is less valueable 2nd hand ???? Its just bending truth to suit argument..I`ve sold/traded probably hundreds of boards. Neither a customer or dealer has ever suggested this to be case !!! Second hand boards are valued on condition not colour !!! (Thankfully)

Please Floyd
Re-read all the posts and try to understand before react. A board isn't less wort through the colour alone but the believe that a board might be one year older then set in the advertisement WILL be less worth!!!

Concerning 'truth bending', it is you that always bent someone else's words. Already said 50 times before but will answer all your remarks, second hand board is not only valued on condition but also on AGE!!!

A hope this time everything will be clear to you.

Floyd
16th September 2009, 04:10 PM
But the age would be exactly the same irrespective of colour. The board is dated by its Serial number which (according to Ola) corresponds to the year the board was sold (as) !!!!

Its an utterly pointless thread !!! Dont even know why I`m replying again !!!

I`m off sailing. There`s more important things to worry about than colour of boards !!!

Ola_H
16th September 2009, 05:07 PM
FYI, Svein has informed me that most 2009 Futuras actually had a white bottom. And marketing director Martin has contacted Mario to resolve any remaining issues.

Ulf
16th September 2009, 08:42 PM
A thing like that ( Colour) can continually be a dissapointment. Every time you see it, in the garage, in the car , on the beach.
I have a kode 2009 112 with a RED bottom and the shop Demo 2009 Kode 112 has White underneath. The red looks a lot better and gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. The white just didn't do it.
Furthermore if you sail accasionally sail on lakes with mangroves the water will stain the white a light tan colour. A bit like on old surf board. It looks crap and devalues the resale. :eek:
Face it we people are very visual or we wouldn't get clossy colourful Starboard brochures each year. They would be black and White.
I feel sorry for Mario. I know exactly what he is on about.
A board for some is a big purchase. It should be spot on.

Floyd what would you think if your new car had a white bonnet on red body? Still works great. Does just what you expected, but evertime you looked out the windscreen you see that bloody white bonnet. I'm sure you would be delighted.

Ola_H
16th September 2009, 09:09 PM
Ulf, on a side note: I think that "light tan" is very easy to remove. In fact, its the only time I've experience anything close to the magic that is shown in most TV ads for cleaning products.

I used some fluid made for cleaning coffe machines. A cap of it in a gallon of water or so. Put on board. Leave for a few minutes and rinse off. Board white. Magic (well, chemistry but it feels lika magic).

mark h
16th September 2009, 11:20 PM
I'll give the coffee machine cleaner a try, I normally use "Cillit Bang, Grime & Lime". Spray it on, wipe all other with damp cloth, hose down and instant white, like new. I think its something to do with the de-scaler.

leysenkr
17th September 2009, 12:26 AM
But the age would be exactly the same irrespective of colour. The board is dated by its Serial number which (according to Ola) corresponds to the year the board was sold (as) !!!!

Its an utterly pointless thread !!! Dont even know why I`m replying again !!!

I`m off sailing. There`s more important things to worry about than colour of boards !!!

Yes Floyd, you are wright but if I were not a Starboardsailor who did not read this forum, I would not believe the seller if I only can find 2009 with red en blue bottoms on the internet.

mario.milhazes
17th September 2009, 01:40 AM
Hi

Finally ive been contacted by Starboard Marketing Manager, Martin.
He is looking into the situation and soon will give me an answer to my problem.

Thanks guys for the support
Thanks Ola for helping me contacting Starboard.

Floyd
17th September 2009, 02:14 AM
I`m at it again !!!
Missed Ulf`s comment !!!
If it drove like a Ferrari I personally wouldn`t careless and I cant see base of my board whilst I`m sailing. It could be lime green with pink streeks (actually ???) l if it sailed well no problem !!! Suppose I`m from a different generation; or planet (???) cos it seems to matter to some folk !!!!

Good sailing. Hope all`s well that ends well.

Apologies for some of my comments .

Take care

Langdon
21st September 2009, 11:25 PM
Forget it...

mario.milhazes
3rd October 2009, 03:19 AM
Hi all

As stated before i was contacted by Starboard Marketing Manager, Martin Haglev.
Thanks Martin for being a great person and helping me with this issue.

He explained me why the board bottom changed color and why starboard didnt contact me sooner, they were all at the dealears meeting to promote the new boards.
The bottom is now white because its lighter and is faster on the water.

Now all is fine and this issue has been closed.
Im still a starboard fan and will keep buying these fanastic boards.

Thanks all for your support and comments.

Denter
11th November 2009, 08:34 AM
I just bought a used Futura with white bottom but I want it Blue can Starboard exchange it.

leysenkr
11th November 2009, 03:59 PM
pretty childish reaction Denter.

mario.milhazes
12th November 2009, 12:50 AM
Hi Denter

There is no more blue or red bottom.
All are white.
Forget about exchange of the board.

I just wanted an explanation from starboard why my board was white in the bottom.
All is fine and enjoy the board.