PDA

View Full Version : Evo70 with 5.8 ???

woo
24th November 2006, 11:11 PM
hello everybody,

i just bought the 2006 evo70 and after three days of sailing with 4.5 and 5.2 i am more than happy. much better for me than the acid77 which i had before...

i have 63kg and usually surf in european conditions, waves 1-2m, cross-onshore conditions.

now my biggest sail is a ezzy 5.2 and i was wondering if i can use a 5.8 on the evo for lighter winds. i know this is not a perfect combination, but i am going to tobago this winter and i only want to bring one board (not really a high-wind-spot, 13-20 kn average)...

what do you think?

best, wolfgang

boussog1
25th November 2006, 03:06 AM
Hello,

At 75 kg, I find that the board works well with my 5.5 as long as I am well powered up. (In fact, this board just doesn't seem to care, whether I use it with 3.7 all the way up to 5.5!) Hope this helps!

Ola_H
25th November 2006, 04:15 AM
At 63 kilos it should work fairly well. I'm closer to 70 and have occasionally used the 70 with a 5.9. As boussog writes, the board is unbelievably versatile when it come to sail sizes. I haven't sailed Tobago but from what I've heard about that area, the EVO 70 should be a great match.

Your Ezzy (at least of its a recent model) should be VERY powerful for a 5.2 though, so even if most people are on 5.8:s, you might still get away with the 5.2.

If you go for the 5.8, I would DEFINITELY get a bigger fin. The Drake Natural 23 or maybe even 24 should do the trick.

woo
25th November 2006, 09:25 PM
thanks boussog1 and ola_h for the answers-

my ezzy is very powerful indeed (and i can use it when others sail 5.8 or bigger) but i thought that i would even be planing earlier with a 5.8. thought about buying the naish boxer...

i think a bigger fin is great idea and i will try this out for sure!