PDA

View Full Version : Delamination on the new 121 iSonic Wood Carbon.

nonopr
27th October 2009, 06:19 PM
http://www.staboard.comEnjoy the post

GFB
28th October 2009, 02:59 AM
Maybe my Isonic 122 has the same issue.

Can you insert pictures from the delamination?

Phill104
28th October 2009, 05:00 AM
Have you thought about speaking to your dealer rather than spouting on an internet forum? Mistakes do happen in manufacture, or it could be that you didn't put the vent plug in correctly. I am sure your dealer will sort the problem quickly.

Hot Ice
28th October 2009, 06:01 AM
The question is: Will Starboard stand behind their product an deal with this in a timely matter.

Why would they not stand behind their product?

Do you always go onto an open forum before giving people a chance to respond? :(

Marko CRO169
28th October 2009, 03:26 PM
nonopr, why did you post this question at the Free Forum and not at Ask Our Team, as this way it is more of a "rhetoric" question than a direct request for comment by Starboard?

Ken
28th October 2009, 09:24 PM
nonopr,

The requests from the distributor seem reasonable and it's what Starboard needs in order to determine if it is a valid warranty issue or not.

I also agree that the Team forum is a good place debate an issue if you feel you have been mistreated. So far, I don't see any justification to be to upset, other than you apparently received a "bad" board. It happens.

Unregistered
29th October 2009, 03:18 AM
Here in the UK you would deal with your dealer. It is with him that you have the contract. Even if they no longer dealt with their distributor or manufacturer. It is with the dealer you made the contract.

I am sure that in your neck of the woods, similar laws apply. Take the board to your dealer and tell them to sort it or you want your hard earned back, simple as that. Not really much point coming on a forum to vent your spleen, or do you think that will make your dealer work harder? I doubt it.

Hot Ice
29th October 2009, 03:46 AM
I am not upset. I am working with the system and in hopes to help people out in posting all the process to a hopefully succesful warranty claim.

Really :rolleyes:

This is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Giving a blow by blow account on an open forum of your warranty claim that at the moment has encountered no problems is rather unfair to the people who are working to resolve your warranty claim.

Some things are best done in private.

Certainly if it can't be resolved then pressure from an open forum is an option, but its early days yet.

GFB
29th October 2009, 01:53 PM
Can you send me a picture? I may have the same problem. The top varnish on my isonic 122 is milky at the rear and dissolves perhaps.

steveC
31st October 2009, 04:03 AM
This thread is a bit of a curiosity. Of course, I have to admit, it's the first time I've seen it. Seemingly, nonopr edited and virtually eliminated his initial post after realizing that all his subsequent posts, with the exception his 10:19 post, had been deleted. Given that nonopr is a fairly consistent poster here, only makes the situation a bit stranger overall. However though, in light of the tone of other posters, seemingly nonopr's series of posts might have been too negative.

I'm wondering why Starboard didn't just vaporize the thread in its entirety rather than selectively deleting portions of it. Now we're left with this odd mystery.

Unregistered
1st November 2009, 01:00 AM
"a ripple in the wood veneer,

That sounds fast!

moredownhaul
27th May 2010, 09:35 AM
I had a Starboard 105 Kombat that had been used a handful of times then delaminated and blistered, Starboard would not honor this defect they gave me some line about storing it wet but never warned me not too. Seems to be a common problem to boards made in the Cobra factory.

bottom line
Starboard will not stand behind their boards.

davide
29th May 2010, 11:33 AM
I had a Starboard 105 Kombat that had been used a handful of times then delaminated and blistered, Starboard would not honor this defect they gave me some line about storing it wet but never warned me not too. Seems to be a common problem to boards made in the Cobra factory.

bottom line
Starboard will not stand behind their boards.
Not to particularly defend Starboard but the warranty on the board last only one year. I had a very minor problem with my Isonic 111, with the grain of the wood apparently swelling up after a few months of use. The "swell" was less than 1mm but Starboard honored the warranty and had the bottom refinished by the master of the Bay (Mikes' Lab) at their expense. I really appreciated that, in my case great costumer support.

A couple of things. No board should be stored wet in a bag, especially if the weather is warm. It is a recipe for all sort of problems. And I do not think that there is nothing particularly wrong with the Cobra factory, they make great boards. A couple of years ago I bought a couple of boards from a supposedly good builder (Carbon Art) and frankly the construction quality was worse than my Starboard or RRD.

What might be worth considering is the type of sandwich used in the construction. One wanders if a layer of glass in the bottom might help protecting better the veneer (which right now, besides been epoxied, is only "protected" by paint), and/or if a better grade veneer should be used. The wood veneer on my Isonic did not seem very fine, with widely spaced grain which might exacerbate water/humidity penetration.

Kato
29th May 2010, 04:50 PM
"A couple of things. No board should be stored wet in a bag, especially if the weather is warm. It is a recipe for all sort of problems. And I do not think that there is nothing particularly wrong with the Cobra factory, they make great boards. A couple of years ago I bought a couple of boards from a supposedly good builder (Carbon Art) and frankly the construction quality was worse than my Starboard or RRD"

Never heard of this before in 25yrs of sailing ,always have put boards away wet or dry and i live in a hot climate. Never had a problems with boards opening up. Seen lots of CAs down here all finished really well. Did you contact CA/Starboard/etc and tell them about the problem??? or..........not. Contact the supplier first and often if there,s a problem. Name and shame campaigns tend to look a bit petty.