PDA

View Full Version : 100 litre high control board ???

Floyd
18th December 2009, 06:02 PM
What do folk reckon is best 100 litre+ high control board made ,in and out of Starboard range ??

Not for racing/slalom/waves; just surviving in very strong winds (40knot+) and rough water ???

????

PG
18th December 2009, 07:03 PM
Some older starboard carves would maybe do, but I have understood that the new boards are quite a lot more nervous.

For composure on the water, and control in high winds, I think the RRD FSW are hard to beat. An advantage for gusty and variabl conditions is that they also plane early. I have a FSW 94 that for me (at 100kg +) works reasonably well in 40 knot winds.

Farlo
18th December 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Floyd, for an overall purpose board I would recommend the ST104 (first edition if you can find one). It's extremely fast, flies over chops while remaining very comfortable/controllable. Out of Starboard range Exocet CCarve 103 or SCross 105 have excellent control as well for their size. This is a bit of extrapolation because I would never use 100+ L in 40 Knts, but overpowered in rough water, yes.

mark h
18th December 2009, 10:34 PM
Kode 94 or 103?? If I had to choose one for 40k plus survival in open rough seas, at 105kg I'd way prefer to be on the Kode 93 than the 103, the 103 is to wide. But truthfully, in 40k plus rough seas blasting I would be on the Kode 86:)

Floyd
19th December 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for replies.

Tried Kode (104 + 94) they were very harsh but were Carbon models. Kode is very wide for its volume so think that rules it out for what I`m looking for.

Will try boards mentioned.

Thanks

Farlo
20th December 2009, 09:36 PM
If you're not afraid of looking old school, the Tiga 259 is much narrower (56 cm or so) than the boards mentioned above, very smooth to ride and almost undestructible. ST104 is 60 cm wide and the Exo's ~65.

Ken
20th December 2009, 11:35 PM
I also have an old Tiga, the 263 which is narrower than the 259. Both are poly boards, somewhat heavy, but very, very smooth in the chop and great at jybing. I only take mine out when it is a steady 25 knots plus. A real pain if the wind drops for me since it is a sinker.

The only negative for the Tigas are the foot straps, which tend to twist a lot.

Farlo
21st December 2009, 03:25 AM
Yes, you can always keep them stuck to the water (in the good sense) whenever you need. By the way Tiga 259, 263, 257 & 268 are in the 80/90 liters range. All are excellent shapes in high wind although 263/268 are freeride/slalom oriented and 257/259 are wave/frewave. If you want something closer to 100 liters, the 269 is of the same stuff. Adversely the sandwich epoxy FreeCarve 57/61 have much more "pop" but are also much harder to control in rough conditions. Strap twisting on old Tiga is annoying indeed, but elliptic toothed washers combined with the monopad normally fix it.

Floyd
23rd December 2009, 03:58 PM
Seems this is an area manufacturers seem to be ignoring (or probably doesn`t exist?)

Nearly all the modern kit at around 100 litres is worried about early planing and top end. (even Kode ?) My F2 Style 250 is worn out !!!

Will try and get on a RRD FSW

Thanks for replies.

mac33
23rd December 2009, 06:04 PM
are u sure u mean 40knots.

most sailors cannot sail in 30knots.

in 35knots even on 4.0m very feware sailing and less sheeting in.

in 40knots, never saw anyone sail, unless in sheltered water.

i do remember 6/7 years ago, two of australias top 5 slalom sailors got caught out in approx 40/45 knots in the swan river. they both were in water for over 5mins till gust past.

to answer your question.... the green + bluemistral flow of around 10 years ago sailed very high out of water and safe.

Farlo
23rd December 2009, 08:02 PM
Well I guess that at around 100 Kg you may consider surviving in 40 Knts. Hi Floyd, you should give a try to one of the old plastic Tiga. Early planing was never their best feature but for control/comfort in high wind & hard water there are still unmatched. It's definitely a different kind of sailing.

mark h
24th December 2009, 04:52 AM
are u sure u mean 40knots.

most sailors cannot sail in 30knots.

in 35knots even on 4.0m very feware sailing and less sheeting in.

in 40knots, never saw anyone sail, unless in sheltered water.

i do remember 6/7 years ago, two of australias top 5 slalom sailors got caught out in approx 40/45 knots in the swan river. they both were in water for over 5mins till gust past.

to answer your question.... the green + bluemistral flow of around 10 years ago sailed very high out of water and safe.

Don't mean to sound rude, but its just not true to say "most sailors cannot sail in 30knots". Who were to two slalom guys you saw in trouble, and were they on the wrong kit for the 5 minute squall?

30 knots is stage one of high winds and when it all starts to be fun. 5.8m/6.3m for speed/slalom and 5m for waves is were its at in those winds.

I agree that a lot of guys/girls start to struggle in solid 40k winds, and only decent sailors can tame 45/50k winds. But 30k winds, be it flat water speed/freestyle, coastal sailing/slalom or wave sailing is not "untouchable" for experienced/half decent sailors. I would recommend "all" sailors to try it, its a hoot:)

Happy holidays to all:)

Unregistered
24th December 2009, 05:04 AM
have a tiga plastic board , dont use it much as its on the heavy side and as you mentioned not the earliest planing but it rode nice when the wind was up.
shredulato

mac33
24th December 2009, 10:53 PM
the two were robbie radis + chris lockwood, had lots of fun watching these two go down simultanously as gust came through. no-one could sail in that gust. they were on race gear, chris on 5.0m other i think on 5.8m. averaged 30 knots, gusting to high 40's.

did see once a heavy scandinavian bloke [100kg] fully sheet in,wind around 40knots plus sailed for about 400metres.at end of run the wind picked his kit up and blew it 30m towards shore.

Farlo
25th December 2009, 12:27 AM
Where do you pick these numbers from? 30~40 Knts do not happen every day but are not exceptional in France and I know a few sailors doing better than just surviving in such conditions. Happy Xmas to you all.

Floyd
25th December 2009, 01:42 AM
Its the etarnal argument about actual wind some folk can sail in !!!
Before moving to Leucate France I would have agreed with Mac33 that 35 knots was perhaps max limit for "enjoyable playful " sailing.Having spent last 3 years down there its quite obvious some can easily exceed that limit (I`m not one of them !!!)

Last October gusts were coming through recorded at 53 knots ; with a steady 45 knots.(from Windfinder and Leucate Met Station) 3 lads rolled up; helped each other rig(in lee of sand dune) and sailed !! I was struggling walking !!! (It was on Etang not open sea)

I reckon 40k is a realistic goal for me !!
Thanks for input.

mark h
25th December 2009, 01:58 AM
Hey Mac, Is Robbie still competing and how is he doing these days? Have not heard about him since ADDECO tour days. I know he had some bad luck and also took time off from Kinetic to build a family home.

I know for sure that both Robbie and Chris can deal with high winds. One off the legs on the ADDECO (Pengue) is one of the windiest places on the planet, most events were held in 40k plus open sea's and Robbie won most years accept for the years that F192 AA, US10 MP and S10 AB turned up. All these guys and many other world class guys always said that this was one of the toughest races ever.

Chris is out on a 5.5m to 7m in 30k to 40k these days on his speed kit. Again, making it look easy.

Did you claim maritime salvage rights to the Scandinavians kit:))

mac33
25th December 2009, 04:01 AM
robbie has not competed for a few years, chris only sails upwind/downwind with small boards and big sails looking for gps times. heard he put gash in his leg or something while sailing. you can check aust sailing+ wa from website.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8

Unregistered
26th December 2009, 01:39 PM
Robbie was a great ambassador for the sport on the AWT.
Together with Anders and Antoine, they were the best at handling the 40 knots plus in Penghu.
But its what you get used to and the locals in Penghu were always out in good numbers in those conditions, usually on less than 4 m2 sails.
The (pro) racers almost always used 5.0 race sails.
I once saw Anders race there with a 4.0 wave sail once it got to 50 knots !

mac33
27th December 2009, 03:46 AM
sailed last wed afternoon in twilight slalom at peli/point,[swan river] wind around 25knots gusting to 30 knots. state of water due to 100 sailors, boats etc was pretty radical. chop + swell combined with seriously strong wind made just finishing each 2km heat an achievement.
out of 20 to 30 who competed in the heats many pulled out, it was soo radical.
sailed in stronger wind but not with chop everywhere and swells too.
i pulled out after finishing 2 heats, my forearms attempting to gybe around buoys were killing me.
everyone was sailing so slow, as combo of wind + chop + swell was scary.
going out to mark was torture, average board speed maybe 15 knots only . on way back to inside mark around 20 knots.
i finished close to last, but learned alot, more downhaul and smaller fin!
a few of top guys got caught out using too big gear and pulled out.
never experienced anything quite like that in 20 years of sailing.

surfrider
15th January 2010, 08:33 PM
What do folk reckon is best 100 litre+ high control board made ,in and out of Starboard range ??

Not for racing/slalom/waves; just surviving in very strong winds (40knot+) and rough water ???
Why such a big board? anything will float, go for a small waveboard with LOTS of V. Have an old AHD Pro Wave from 1997. Briljant with a 3.7 in survival mode.

Papounet
15th January 2010, 09:56 PM

????

For sale => 30 €

http://193.164.196.30/images/711/7110823877.jpg

For sale => 100 €
http://i.ebayimg.com/09/!BhJsksw!mk~$%28KGrHqEH-DsEsKb8vgI%29BLH6ZV,WRw~~_12.JPG

Tiga 269 Bump & Jump, What else !!!!!

Papounet
15th January 2010, 10:23 PM
the two were robbie radis + chris lockwood, had lots of fun watching these two go down simultanously as gust came through. no-one could sail in that gust. they were on race gear, chris on 5.0m other i think on 5.8m. averaged 30 knots, gusting to high 40's.

did see once a heavy scandinavian bloke [100kg] fully sheet in,wind around 40knots plus sailed for about 400metres.at end of run the wind picked his kit up and blew it 30m towards shore.

Gruissan south of France mai 2007 between 40 & 55 knots, the best gust at 62 Knots
The little guy on Starboard had a 5 meters sail

Look at the MS, a well-known Aussie ( without is hat )

http://hwo.free.fr/defi-wind-2007_site/images/p1050862.jpg

http://hwo.free.fr/defi-wind-2007_site/images/p1050853.jpg

http://hwo.free.fr/defi-wind-2007_site/images/p1050856.jpg

http://hwo.free.fr/defi-wind-2007_site/images/p1050854.jpg

Nice time for a beach party (-:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_r_ssToTpbqM/RlyFgaOgHsI/AAAAAAAAAZM/A00IbikdScI/s800/fredbonetdefiwind07%20%2043.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.fr/windsurfilles/DEFIWIND2007ParFredBONET#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3218693719067103733#

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20qpl_defi-wind-2007_sport

Unregistered
15th January 2010, 10:58 PM
Thats exactly where board is for and if anyone knows area they`l understand why I dont want to go super small. Wind can go from as it is in pictures to under 10 knots in literally seconds.
It would be easy (well easier) to get a board simply to cope aswell as is possible in 40k ; its harderr to get one that will then float you home if required.

Where`s the Tiga ?? Near Leucate ?? I`m here till April ; will come and fetch it if its in Leucate region.
Thanks
Floyd

Papounet
15th January 2010, 11:47 PM
One of the boards is in Belgium, the other in Britany ( West of France, not in GB )

But sometimes, you can find the same ones or 263 in Leucate's surfshops ( 4 or 5 )

http://www.quai34-leucate.com/fr/shop/occasions/occasions_flotteurs_windsurf-ref/?ref_ssfamille=011101

http://www.neway-leucate.com/fr/shop/occasions/occasions_flotteurs_windsurf-ref/?ref_ssfamille=011101

http://www.chinook-leucate.com/rayon_entete.asp?id_t_sousfamille=1&marque=&occaz=1

http://www.surfoneleucate.com/category.php?id_category=35

agrelon
16th January 2010, 02:56 PM
Seems this is an area manufacturers seem to be ignoring (or probably doesn`t exist?)

Nearly all the modern kit at around 100 litres is worried about early planing and top end. (even Kode ?) My F2 Style 250 is worn out !!!

Will try and get on a RRD FSW

Thanks for replies.

I'de have to agree with you. So many modern boards are focused on early planning. But it is super difficult to get an early planning board that doesn't complain once over powered as generally the characteristics for early planing don't work so well when completely maxed out.

I think for really high wind a freestyle/wave board is the way to go, with one strap at the back. The water will be too confused anyway to allow you to simply blast and that 1 strap will make hitting jumps a breeze.

Farlo
16th January 2010, 04:07 PM
Hi Floyd, if volume matters then go for the 269 rather than 263. It is around 15 liters larger and much easier to initiate and keep planing. With all respect, the 263 is more for lighter riders and will sink at the first lull under your weight. Hi Papounet, you're about 100 Kgs as well, aren't you? What would you say?

Papounet
18th January 2010, 07:04 PM
95 Kg (-:
On sea side, until 30 Knots of wind, you can use what you want.
After.................

With big b***s, high wind, but easy speed slalom boards as
TB˛ 58 / Warp speed / Tabou 58,59 / AB+ 58,54 / Tiga Hyper X 85

Otherwise, the softer small board you can find and if slow, it's perfect...

On the ponds, except in 2 or 3 places which work's like sea,
Rock & Roll party starts before 30 Knots, jumping from crest to crest

For the Tiga boards, i think that 263 noose rocker is a bit flat.

Farlo
19th January 2010, 07:17 PM
Old plastic Tiga are known for having NO dynamic shape stability. They bend and twist in all directions, which of course affects top speed but brings this particular smooth ride. C'est le "secret de la glisse". You can rely on small models in rough conditions. Below 30 Knts as you say, other boards are more fun. When it becomes hectic I jump on my 257.

Ken
19th January 2010, 08:56 PM
Papoune,

I have a 263 and the nose is pretty high, never a problem with sticking it into a wave. I don't know the volume for sure, but I would guess around 80-85L. The 269 is under
100. Smooth as silk in choppy water.

I don't use the board much since where I sail the wind is highly variable and I sink big time when I hit a hole or a shadow. I only think about using it when the the wind is 25+ knots, which isn't often. I weigh 79kg.

Farlo
19th January 2010, 10:23 PM
From the back of my head I would say the 263 is 82~86 L and the 269 is 96~99 L. Sorry for not being more precise but all genuine data were removed from the web after BIC took over... and then the "secret de la glisse" was lost.