PDA

View Full Version : Evo 74 2006 spinning out

chiel
17th December 2006, 06:45 PM
A coupe of months ago I bought a Evo 74 2006, which I a used quite a lot since then. After a couple of days adjusting my style to this type of board I am extremely pleased with the board. (using 5.2, 4.7 and 4.2 NP Combats)

But while pointing or doing (sort of) high speed bottom turns the board/fin tends to spin out abruptly. Is that just me or maybe the trim? Or does it have to do with the fin (22 Drake) which seems to have a lot of flex?

Regards,

Chiel

shangu
17th December 2006, 10:07 PM
Hi,

Got the same problem but i try to reduce rail pressures when in fast crossOff.
That's exactly the king of condition where i feel my Evo 74 ( 05 ) a little too much ungoverned in the wave.
i usually sail the Drake 21, but don't spinout ( sometime it is very close ) but i try to manage carefully the board, this makes fast cross-off not as confident as with an Acid.

I plan to change for 75 XTV to see what happens in big crossOff scenarios, hard for me to change Evo for a trad.

shangu.

Ray Timm
17th December 2006, 10:22 PM
I would chalk much of your spinning out to the fin and the reluctance of the Evo to handle much backfoot pressure. I've been sailing Evos, 70, 74 and 80, since they were introduced and initially I found the boards, especially the 80, spun out on me, but the more I sailed them the less it happened. Some will recommend a stiffer, bigger fin, but I prefer the Drakes over anything else I've used. IMO larger, stiffer fins make the Evos feel like something is stuck to the fin compared to the Drake. All this said, the Drakes do sail small, so when I'm using a 5.3 I usually stick a 23 on the board.

Ola_H
18th December 2006, 01:17 AM
I agree the Drake Natural fin is just SOOOO great. Not likely the problem here, at least not for the bottom turn issue. I think Ray is onto it. For me, the best way to keep the EVOs from spinning out is to setup the turn with a lot of mast foot pressure very early in the turn. I start the whole dropping in sequence by putting on some mast foot pressure and then start charging down the line. In that way you kind of settle the board onto its front rail and in this mode that board will be much more stable. Try it!

As for the pointing issue, this can actually be a fin thing. The Drake Natural 22 is actually pretty small (much smaller than the depth would indicate). Especially with 5.2, a Drake natural 23 or 24 (depending on your sailing style) will definitely give you an easier time. Both these fins will still work great in wave riding, especially if your not riding super fast conditions. If you want to stay with your current fins, you might try to move the back strap forwards. Upwind problems on the EVOs often depend on that the boards requires a lot of feel form the rider to keep it just below the spinout level. This is especially true in marginal conditions. With the back foot further forwards, you'll get less direct reactions from the board to your varying foot pressure.