PDA

View Full Version : Quad 76 or 71??

xander
4th March 2010, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I know this question has been asked a bunch of times, but even after reading all the various responses I still can't figure out whether I should go for the quad 76 or 71? I've had this up on the team rider side (thanks Ola) - it would be great if some others could weigh in here as well.

I will be using the board for California Coast sailing. We have a combination of small to big mushy side shore beach break and up to logo / mast high clean point side shore conditions. Mostly I will be sailing in slightly over head high clean side shore point break conditions with a bit of a slog out to the wind line. My quiver is 5.3 / 4.7 / 4.2. By far the 4.7 is used most. I am 70 - 72 kgs dry.

I am getting better at wavesailing as I'm now linking turns and getting aerials. I'm a pretty aggressive sailor who crashes quite a lot. Basically I have moments where I really rip and many more moments where I am an absolute KOOK. I sailed last years 75l Evo in Maui. The size felt very good for a 4.7 / 5.3 and a little bit big for fully powered 4.7.

I want to buy one waveboard. I'd probably prefer to go with the 76 to ensure that it works well when its a bit marginal and that it will be easy to tack and slog. But I also wonder if since I've heard that Starboard underquotes volume I may be just fine slogging the 71 which will be better for powered up 4.7 and bigger conditions and then maybe looser as well. I must also add that the fins on the 71 look a bit weird to me where they seem to look more natural on the fish tail of the 76. Don't know why. THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!