PDA

View Full Version : Futura 133 vs Isonic 121

jary
8th March 2010, 03:58 AM
Hello!
I want to bye a new board for planing as early as possible.
My weight is 75 kg and I am an intermediate advanced rider.
Given that I will use a Glide 8,5 m2 for both board-alternatives;
wich board will plane easiest of the Futura 133 and the Isonic 121?
Will the Isonic 121 be harder to jibe compared to Futura 133?

Best regards
Jacob from Norway

Remi
8th March 2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Jacob,

For early planning the iSonic 121 will be the best but Glide will give better result on the Futura particularly if you don't pump to get planning. Anyway jibe will be easier alos on the Futura.
With this sail I will recommand you more the Futura 141 to have good planning and good ride.

Hope this help

All the best

Jawa
9th March 2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Jacob,

I had the chance to sail the 2010 F131 and the isonic 121 at Furteventura last September - No doubt, both boards are fantastic.
Conditions were marginal, 5 - 8 m/s, and I was restricted to a NP RS slalom race sails, size 6,7 m2, wich was the biggest they had at Rene Eglis.
I was a wopping 100 kgs at the time. Both boards had the 42 Drake fin, which was not ideal.

Not surprisingly the isonic release faster thanks to the sharper rails. Jibing is excellent as well - It is actually quite easy to plane through.

The F131 is also super fast with the proper setup, and has the best jibing qualities of any board I have ever sailed.

Both boards planed equally early, though it must be said that I expect that a different fin would have helped the early planning quite a bit, lowering my thereshold from around 7 m/s to at least 6 m/s. The same goes for increased sail size. With the ideal setup pre 6 m/s planning should be achiveable for me, and the makes a great difference in the outer Oslofjord area which is my hometurf in the summertime.

I am super impressed with the shapes - the both deliver the sensation of riding a "small" board, which is paramount for the fun factor.

The Isonic though is a bit more direct an nervous, which makes for more tiering and less relaxed ride. The Futura is the definition of Smoothness and control. Still it made me feel almost as fast as on the Isonic - and I was still outspeeding all other sailers by a good margin.

I was lucky to have access to the woodcarbon edition - And I would favour this for the F131 - especially if early planning and top bottom end is the focus. For smaller boards wood is probably still going to be my choice.
Hope this helps - best of luck.

jary
10th March 2010, 01:22 AM
Thanx a lot Remi and Jawa for helpful information!
After very much thinking (!) I think I will go for iS133 W/C combined with a Glide 8,5. Think it will be a good solution for me. Going to order the equipment next week, looking foreward to that!! See you in the outer Oslo-fjord in the summer Jawa..

Regards
Jacob

Remi
11th March 2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Jary,

With this sail you will be more comfortable and efficient on the Futura 141 W/C.

All the best

MOP
13th March 2010, 04:48 AM
Hi Remi!
I am sorry, but I am a bit confused by your answer. I am also considering bying a futura 133 and a glide 8.5(my weight is 89 kg).
Aim: early planning but still be able to sail comfortably with my new ncx pro 6.5.
According to Severne the recommended sail size is 6.0-9.5.
9.5 is a square meter bigger than glide 8.5, and you also recommend the overdrive 8.5 as the ideal sail for futura 133.
Is the glide in a special posistion here, since 8.5 is not recommended by you for this board?(Like it has power of a 9.5-10 meter sail and this is why it is necessary with a bigger board matching this?)
Is not the sail size recommendation valid for the glide?

I guess what I am asking is this: Is F133 a good board for both ncx pro 6.5 and the glide 8.5? Or should i rather stick to my "old" 2009 ncx 8.0

Thank you very much for any respons.

Remi
14th March 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi MOP,

You want to plane early and with the Glide the Futura 141 will be better than the 133. The 8,5 Glide have enormous power compare to Overdrive or Ncx, is definitelly not the same profil. Recommend you the C3 Venom 50 on it.

You can use your 6,5 Ncx in strong winds on it with a the C3 Venom 42

Hope this help

All the best

MOP
14th March 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi and thank you very much again!
Just to be sure:
"You can use your 6,5 Ncx in strong winds on it with a the C3 Venom 42"
Are you referring to the 133 or the 141 liter?

Remi
14th March 2010, 06:55 PM
Hi MOP,

Both of them they are very close to each other in hi-winds but the 141 plane earlier and sure with 8,5 Glide you will be very satisfy

Have fun

All the best

MOP
15th March 2010, 04:36 AM
Ok,I now understand than F 133 is not a good board for the Glide 8.5.
Do you think element 8.5 is a good combination to go with the F 133 for light wind planing, or is it not much better than my ncx 8.0 (regarding early planing)..(sorry about all these questions but I have to order this week and I still havent decided yet what to buy:-)

Again thank you very much for your time and answers

Remi
15th March 2010, 05:58 AM
Hi MOP,

Regarding what your are looking for with your weight, I confirm you Futura 141 with Glide 8,5 and Ncx 6,5.
Please understand that I didn't say that the Glide 8,5 on the the Futura 133 are not good, but the 141 will be far better.
Personally I prefer the Glide 8,5, it's really a machine to get early planning so far better than Element or Ncx in this part. For stability in gust the Ncx will be the best. For performance in light winds I will choose the Glide and the Ncx for stronger winds.

All the best

jary
16th March 2010, 04:13 AM
Hi Remi
Ok, you have at last convinced me,- I will go for Futura 141 combined with Glide 8,5!! Thank you for your help!
Last question (for this evening):
Since I will shange my big board with a new Futura 141 I will altso like to shange my small board as well (thats the good thing about windsurfing,- its so much equipement)!!
I am thinking about bying the new Kode 103 or the new Futura 101. Can you please tell me the difference between this boards? The most important thing for me is jibing.

Regards Jacob

Remi
16th March 2010, 01:21 PM
Hi Jary,

First I would like to know which sail you will put on it so I will propose you the best combination, thanks

All the best

jary
16th March 2010, 03:53 PM
Hi Remi
I have just ordered following 2010 model sails:
- NCX pro 6,5 (combined with a Redline 430 SDM).
- Gator 5,5 (combined with a Redline 430 SDM).
- Gator 4,7 (combined with a Redline 430 SDM or a 370 Naish firestick).

I guess that the NCX 6,5 and the Gator 5,5 will be the sails mostely used on the smallest board.
What board will be the most sutable?

Regards Jacob

COACHG
16th March 2010, 08:50 PM
Jary,
If you opt for the Futura and want to use that 4.7 Gator then you may want to consider the 93 liter version. I'm 79 kilos and my 93 liter Futura easily uses 4.5 to 6.5 sails.

Coachg

Remi
16th March 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Jary,

Now is really depend of what you want, for speed and easy jibe I will say Futura 93 as Coachg, but for maneuvrability and super jibe the Kode 94 but it will be slower than the Futura.

Hope this help

All the best

Jawa
17th March 2010, 12:27 AM
Hi again Jary,

This really turned into an interesting thread !
I happy to se you have opted for the futura - Great choice.

When it comes to your small board I find it quite tricky to chose between the two boards in question. Had the Code 103 been fitted with at tuttle fin I would definitely have picked that. I think it really boils down to which wind range you envisage to cover - And have you got a smaller wave board for those 12 m/s + days ? If you have a waveboard, I would go for the Futura. Otherwise you will have give Remi a bit more info on your sailing preferences.

jary
17th March 2010, 01:59 AM
Hi Jawa
Thank you very much for responing two times, very helpful!
To day I have an JP X-cite ride 120 with NCX 8,0 and NCX pro 6,5
combined with a JP Freestyle Wave 93 and Gator 5,5 and 4,7

To be able to sail more in light wind I will shange out the JP X-cite ride 120 with a Futura 141. Sails for the Futura 141 will be a Glide 8,5 combined with the NCX 8,0 I allready have.

But then I think that I have to shange out thr JP Freestyle Wave 93 with a little bigger board that can take the NCX pro 6,5 (Futura 101?).
This is because I want to be able to alternate the NCX 6,5-rig between the Futura 141 and the Futura (?) 101 when the wind conditions is just in between!

For the few days with 12 m/s + I have to sail with the new Futura 101/Kode 103 and my smallest sail; Naish 4,2

My sailing preferences is manely blasting, jibing and jumping (intermediate level). But the most important thing for me is to be able to sail when I have the opportunety inbetween two small kids, wife and to much work..

So Jawa, can you please give me some more advices?
And why do you recomend so strongely a tuttle fin??

Very thankful if Remi altso could respond.

Regards Jacob

agrelon
17th March 2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Jawa
Thank you very much for responing two times, very helpful!
To day I have an JP X-cite ride 120 with NCX 8,0 and NCX pro 6,5
combined with a JP Freestyle Wave 93 and Gator 5,5 and 4,7

To be able to sail more in light wind I will shange out the JP X-cite ride 120 with a Futura 141. Sails for the Futura 141 will be a Glide 8,5 combined with the NCX 8,0 I allready have.

But then I think that I have to shange out thr JP Freestyle Wave 93 with a little bigger board that can take the NCX pro 6,5 (Futura 101?).
This is because I want to be able to alternate the NCX 6,5-rig between the Futura 141 and the Futura (?) 101 when the wind conditions is just in between!

For the few days with 12 m/s + I have to sail with the new Futura 101/Kode 103 and my smallest sail; Naish 4,2

My sailing preferences is manely blasting, jibing and jumping (intermediate level). But the most important thing for me is to be able to sail when I have the opportunety inbetween two small kids, wife and to much work..

So Jawa, can you please give me some more advices?
And why do you recomend so strongely a tuttle fin??

Very thankful if Remi altso could respond.

Regards Jacob

Although I'm no expert with fins, I believe that a lot of high end fins come in Tuttle box and that this box is the strongest. Having the ability to increase the performance of a board by being able to buy the best fins for it may indeed be a strong argument. Again, I'm not sure if this is the reason for Jawa emphasizing this type of fin box, just an idea.

Jawa
22nd March 2010, 04:01 AM
Hi again,

It is really all about finding the best two board quiver for a very specific sailing location. I do not know if you have allready ordered the F 141, but if I where in your position I would chose the following setup:
Big Board: F 131 wood carbon. Crisp. Super fast. Super fun. At your weigth, and with a powerful cam sail, I rekon you will be smokin from 5-6 m/s. I have sailed the board, and was powered up at 6-7m/s with a smaller sail (7,0m2 RS Neil Pryde), and a not ideal fin (40 or 42 cm standard Drake). The board sailes like a small board, wich my Carve 140ish did not. The fun factor means alot to me, and I would gladly sacrifice the 1 m/s lower planning threshold of a F141, which I admit I have not sailed. I expect the F131 to still be a great ride at 12 m/s, but from 9m/s onwards you would switch to your smaller board.
Small Board: I would go for the Acid 94 - Wood will do. Plenty of speed and control in a rough seastate, and you will be rocking until you max out your wind registre at 16 -18 m/s. For the average 10 m/s to 12 m/s you will be perfectly dialed. I also have to do my sailing in between the obligations which come from having to smallish kids. My sailing level is experienced but by no means radical. I know how to load up the fin properly for a slalom style ride, and can exit my jibes still planing. The two boards mentioned would also be my preferred setup - even at 100 Kgs.
Regardless of your eventual decission - Best of winds, and enjoy the ride !

MOP
28th March 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi again; will the Drake freeride Drive fin 42 be ok with futura 141 and ncx pro 6,5?

Thanks again!