PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Race 320 filmed with GoPro Full HD

ZedZdeD
13th March 2010, 11:47 PM
I dont understand why Starboard does so little to promote this excellent board. Since I bought it, I rediscovered the pleasure of sailing as often as I wish, like in the old days, and always with the great sensations of a regatta board.

Little new camera is fine too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IGYF6HA00

Per
14th March 2010, 06:22 PM
Excellent video. A no wind day becomes funny.
Longboards do have a place on the market. To be honest, more than 50% of the days where I want to go windsurfing the wind is too low or just too shitty, even for my formula and +10 sail. I love blasting my iSonic in heavy winds, but this kind of surfing is only 20% of my time on the water due to lack of wind.
I've got myself an old Equipe 372, and now everything from + 5 knots of wind is a surfing day. And don't worry, I've clocked + 26 knots on it easily in medium winds with a 8.5. Longboards can be quite quick.

I wonder how the hybrids like the 320 work compared to "real" longboards (380 cm) in light wind.

Old designs vs. new designs? Anybody have experience?

;-) Per

tonymatta
15th March 2010, 07:07 AM
The few occasions I have raced my 320 against old style longboards, I have been doing as well or better upwind than the long boards but not so well downwind. Some of that could be a differnce in skill since the others were much more experienced sailers.

I certainly find it easier to sail the 320 downwind (stability) because of the wider more boyant tail. I am only 64kg, so I imagine a heavier sailer would also benefit from the higher volume of the longer board.

I think the 320 could barely be called a hybrid although it may comply with hybrid class rules. compared to the previous SB hybrid race and SB hybrid formula, The RSX, the Bic Hybrid. It is much closer to a lower volume raceboard than any of the previous hybrid designs. The 2010 phantom 320 detail is even closer to the 380 than the previous model shown in the video.

I think a skilled light person on the 320 would give the longer boards something to think about, but it would always be hard to beat the longer water line in light winds.

Darko_Z
15th March 2010, 03:53 PM
I think Phantom Race 320 can win against classic long boards if wind is strong enough, and I’m sure it can do better than RSX in any case.

ZedZdeD
17th March 2010, 04:20 AM
My impression is that the compact size of the Phantom 320, along with important volume and moderate width, provide really pleasant sensations. I suppose it is less performing than a longer board in light winds, but with more versatility in the high part of its wind range. I also was very happy to discover that you could use it as a kayak, with the very comfortable seat sold by Bic for the Jungle, and also as a SUP for promenade (not for waves). I will illustrate these possibilities in a future video.

Per
17th March 2010, 10:24 PM
The 320 may be more controlled and efficient in higher winds compared to a traditional long board. But anyway in 20 knots a formula will probably beat both of them.
I have both formula and a 372 longboard. What I'm thinking of is if a 320 will give me the best of both worlds? I don't mind loosing some marginal formula planing in favour of the longboards glide and excellent pointing.

The 372 is very efficient in very light stuff due to a very long waterline length. It gives 1 knots of speed per each knot of wind (yes I point 50 degrees to the wind at 8-10 knots of speed in 8-10 knots of wind - and I have fun "killing" any sailing yacht on my spot) Can the 320 beat this?

Will the 320 carry a 10m sail and plane well with it?
Will it compare on speed with a formula on a broad reach (no extremes) in t.ex. 15 - 20 knots of wind?

;-)
Per

tonymatta
18th March 2010, 08:15 AM
My experience with the 320 (09 model)is that it is much more like the longboard than formula.

I have found it to be faster than most of the dinghies upwind, It can easily do 50degrees to the wind, but those with kites and spinikers always win downwind in nonplaning conditions.

It will carry the 10m sail and plane with it very comfortably but will be slower than the formula probably in every direction in winds over 15knots. (for Darko-Z) I have owned and RSX and I would say it would also be faster in every direction over 15 knots.

I find the 320 on par with the longer boards in 8 to 12 knots but a bit slower in lighter winds, and more so downwind.

Per - Your present two board solution is probably the best but if you only want to have one board, the 320 would be a good option.

Remi
18th March 2010, 10:19 PM
Hi All,

You can found photos of the Phantom Race 320 & 380 with the Severne Race-Board on my personal Facebook

All the best

Per
18th March 2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks Tonymatta. Maybe I chould just stay with my luxury option of two light wind boards..

Remi:
I'm not a Facebook member.
Can you show the pictures somehow else?

;-)
Per

Remi
19th March 2010, 06:48 AM
Hi Per,

You should have one, but please see some here, I have a lot more on my Facebook. Photos by Tiesda You.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2829/jpegmg7080.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7741/jpegd9s7147.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2462/jpegmg7110.jpg
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6974/jpegmg7098.jpg

All the best

Per
19th March 2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks Remi.
Great pics.. The 320 doesn't look like a longboard at all. More like a short nosed raceboard (which it basically is).
Looks like a great jiber too.

320 or 380??? Life's complicated ;-)

Per

Per
19th March 2010, 11:05 PM
I have three boards in the 10 to 7.0sail range: Equipe 372 cm, formula 159 and iSonic 122. It looks like the 320 could cover this whole range alone...
Will the 320 be speedy with a 7.0 slalom sail. What's the maximum wind range for this board.
The 122 has almost endless top range in heavy conditions. Where will the 320/122 overlap be.

I don't compete..

rod_r
20th March 2010, 02:30 AM
They look like different boards. Are they prototypes? The first 2 pics seem to show a patchy paint job and the board looks like it has sharper rails. The second 2 with the more even, [ nicer ] paint job seems to show more rounded rails.

ZedZdeD
20th March 2010, 03:16 AM
Superb. Both boards are impressive, but I'm definitly in love with the hybrid. I can't wait to receive my new 320 !

Note : I tried yesterday to find your Facebook by typing "Rémi Villa" or "Remi Villa", but without success, is there another way to find it ?

ZedZdeD
20th March 2010, 03:37 AM
for Per : I have Phantom 320 and Futura 122, I don't think they really overlap.

122 is better if wind is sufficiently strong, sufficiently stable, and for the reaching

320 is better if wind is either not strong or not stable enough, or if you wish to do something else than reaching

both boards are great and complementary (if only the 320 could have the beautiful wooden deck of my Futura ... :-)

7.0 slalom sail may feel a bit small, I tried my 320 with a 6.9 North Duke, at first sight it "felt small", perfectly usable however. In June I will go round the island of Porquerolles with my 320, I willl probably take the 6.9 to have a wider wind range, for security.

For wind range, so far I sailed with it in circa 25 knots, and it remains very pleasant, whereas I guess a traditional raceboard would begin to "feel big". Interesting sensations come notably from the fact that it is more technical than a short board, it is a widely different technique which brings some change, and also jibes are surprisingly cool

rgds

tonymatta
20th March 2010, 08:57 AM
I agree with ZedZedD.

For rod-r,

The first two photos are of the phantom 380 which does have different colouring, lighter carbon construction and sharper rails. the second two photos are the phoantom 320, tough skin construction and more rounded rails.

Most longboards have got the sharper rails for upwind performance in light winds. I was worried that the 320 wouldn't go well upwind when I received mine and noticed the round rails. I was pleasently surprised how well it did go upwind. I assume the round rails make it a bit more responsive and easy to gybe.

Per
21st March 2010, 09:49 PM
Today I had a blast on my Equipe with a 7.0 in 20 - 25 knots. On flat water it was a great blast. On the choppy part it could be speede but also very uncontrolled at times. Just a lot of board out there in the front. On all points my iSonic 122 would be faster when the wind was stable.

The great advantage with the dagger is, that I could go to where the stable wind was (there was huge patches of ice, so I had to navigate quite a lot), as a longboard points in all directions easily.

If the Phantom 320 would be better I don't know, but I think I would prefare the 380 to get everything from the light days. In 18 knots my iSonic will fly anyway.

I could probably do without my formula, and still have a lot of fun.

Cheers
Per

ZedZdeD
22nd March 2010, 04:54 AM
lol, that's it, The missing concept, an Ice Breaking Board (yeah !) :-)

tonymatta
22nd March 2010, 05:56 AM
Per
I dont think you can notice the difference between the 320 and the 380 unless you are racing an other board. They will both do what you want.

The 320 is much less expensive and it doesn't have as much of "lot of board in front " feel that you were complaining about.

Remi
22nd March 2010, 02:39 PM
Hi ZedZdeD,

Of course because my name is Rémi Vila :)

All the best

Remi
22nd March 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Rod R,

Both board are production one, the 380 is in Full Carbon and the 320 in AST the reason why the rail are slightly less sharp. But any way the board work great up wind and very exciting in planning condition.

All the best

Per
4th April 2010, 01:55 AM
Today I did an interesting comparison between my longboard (372 cm Equipe) and my formula (F159) with a 8.5 freerace sail. I used a "small" 60 fin on the F159 which gives excellent slalom like control and speed.
In 8 - 12 knots and fluky wind the longboard did quite well. It pointed fantastically while riding the dagger. I managed to clock 16 knots this way - great feeling. Planing was possible in 15 knots, but never really speedy or powerful (I clocked 23 knots as max).
I switched to formula, and this was not really efficient upwind when not planing in less than 10 knots (4.5 knots compared to 9 knots on the longboard with pointing definitely in favour of the longboard).
The formula went planing way earlier than the longboard though, and it went through the holes a lot better. From steady 12-15 knots of wind the formula was superior to the longboard on any course, and control was a lot better. Planing speed was a steady 3-4 knots higher on the formula.

These two boards represent two different styles. In fluky low wind the longboard (even with a 10m sail) is a fantastic cruiser, and riding the dagger has its own excitement when anything else is schlogging. In planing winds for the formula board, this is where the adrenaline kicks in.

Just my experience. I'll keep both boards ;-)