PDA

View Full Version : *Board loosing lead in Formula???

Unregistered
29th March 2010, 04:35 PM
Formula Worlds ended and no Star-board on top 3. At least unexpected. Sure Wilhem did great job and became lightweight champion, but still first *Board only in 5th Position.
1st - JP (ok, AA can win with any board)
2nd - Patrik Diethelm
3rd - Vapor
4th - F2
5th - *Board (and still it was an 161, not the new ones).

Has anyone had the chance to compare the new Starboard Formula with PD, JP and Vapor boards? Couldn't find any test on formula boards. Happy to hear from the experts in this forum.

viking
29th March 2010, 05:14 PM
Starboard lost its lead when they let Albeau leave, that's all! But many people were predicting that AA would loose this time because he had not run in formula for 2 years, but he is simply the best.

But, besides the Albeau factor, it is true that the overall result of *board, if you consider that maybe 75% of the fleet was on a starboard, this can be called a disaster indeed...

agrelon
29th March 2010, 05:17 PM
Yeah, would be nice to have a JP Formula vs. Starboard HWR/LWR test.

Papounet
29th March 2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, would be nice to have a JP Formula vs. Starboard HWR/LWR test.
JP, JP....

Yeah, you are speaking of the Mikes lab looking like a JP

http://www.mikeslab.com/images/L10page.jpghttp://www.jp-australia.com/2010/fileadmin/pics2010/products/board/single/form.png

Unregistered
29th March 2010, 11:02 PM
Well why wouldn't you take an expert board builder and pay him to design a great board ?

nonopr
30th March 2010, 12:29 AM
Almost the same board. But the JP is longer and has a few more liters of volume.
Mike Z L10 is 162 liter. Jp is 168 liters. Alomst 1/2 a kilo in wieght difference

F4 Fins
30th March 2010, 02:32 AM
Papounet, Antoine was NOT riding a Mike's Lab. He was riding the production JP board. The L10 and the JP are a bit different in shape and definitely different in construction.

Antoine was on the same board that anyone can go out and buy.

Mike Zajicek is an amazing shaper and JP was super smart to get him to shape the Formula board.

Some companies have amazing marketing and put out a relatively poor product. Other companies have no marketing and make amazing stuff. Everyone has their own business model.

When I used to run a windsurfing shop I paid twice as much to get a Mike's Lab over a production Formula. AND the Mike's Lab was a better value without a doubt! Mike always had a good shape and his construction is unmatched.

This will get settled on the water. For now it maybe isn't fair to make conclusions because Antoine is so dominant. But, in my opinion Mike Z's horses are the smart money, whether that be the JP or the L10.

Ben

Unregistered
30th March 2010, 05:50 AM
What brand of fins is AA using on his board?

F4 Fins
30th March 2010, 07:28 AM
He registered two Kashy fins and one Ifju. I think he was also on his old sails. Would not be surprised if to see some different fins and new sails worked into the rotation. Scary to think of him going faster!

Deja Vu
30th March 2010, 09:30 AM
I should have my JP formula and Is131 in a couple of weeks - I'm really looking forward to getting on these boards.

Unregistered
30th March 2010, 05:15 PM
And what about Micah Buzianis?

Papounet
30th March 2010, 05:18 PM
He registered two Kashy fins and one Ifju. I think he was also on his old sails. Would not be surprised if to see some different fins and new sails worked into the rotation. Scary to think of him going faster!

Very old sails => RSR
More power than EVO II & ( ultra ) Limited...
Poor Micah with his new sails....

I heard that A² had Kashy the first day & Ifju the second ( not confirmed )

Papounet
30th March 2010, 05:23 PM
Mike Zajicek is an amazing shaper and JP was super smart to get him to shape the Formula board.
The shaper of CFC is an amazing shaper and *Board was super smart to get him to shape the Speed boards...

Nice, he shapes the JP speed now...............................

Unregistered
30th March 2010, 07:57 PM
Hi,
seems that everyone in the forum is too focused on JP x Starboard (the latter one is obvious).

But Patrik Diethelm boards have won 3 out of the 4 formula races this year. Sure Paulo dos Reis is an amazing formula racer, but still, the board has to be good. Has someone tried it? Someone tried their slalom boards?

nonopr
30th March 2010, 08:14 PM
Same boards as the F2 from last year, and many years before. He was the shaper and keept the same design.

sergio_k
30th March 2010, 11:48 PM
Same boards as the F2 from last year, and many years before. He was the shaper and keept the same design.
Just like with *board, each model year formula is diff, same with F2 and DP, I 've talked
to couple of guys that used F2 before and now riding DP there's noticeable diff and progression in shape...,planes earlier, etc... with ML vs JP - again I talked to guys that use them, the diff from what I understand should be minimal, if i had to pick I would get ML
just because I know the quality would be the best, but JP looked real nice and light too

But, bottom line - all new FW boards could win, it's the rider!

Unregistered
31st March 2010, 12:04 AM
Yep. Same shaper - Patrik Diethelm but definetly not the same boards as last years F2.

Unregistered
31st March 2010, 02:49 PM
Everyone seems to be focused on the boards. Over the years, AA has changed from AHD to Starboard and now JP but he did not change his sail sponsor. Could it be the sail that made the difference or maybe it is just AA and nothing else? I'm not a great fan of NP sail in fact I'm boycotting this brand because they have (had) some serious quality issues with their masts and also for the fact that its rich and powerful boss was able to manipulate the selection of the Olympic board (so i heard). Hence, I'll say it's not the board but AA himself who made the difference. The rest is just marketing.

Papounet
31st March 2010, 09:00 PM
A² makes the différence...

Remenber that he won his first title with an Olllllllld AHD

He can take bigger sails than all other racers ( 3 years old RSR for instance )

BelSkorpio
1st April 2010, 01:22 AM
Hi Papounet,

I'm curious, what's the largest sail size that AA was using in Argentina. Do you know ?

nonopr
1st April 2010, 06:21 AM
12.5 meter sail.

Unregistered
1st April 2010, 08:48 AM
All the more there is a need to make Formula One Design a reality; have it as a PWA event and an Olympic class. No more guessing which board or sail makes the difference between winning and losing.

mark h
1st April 2010, 04:52 PM
All the more there is a need to make Formula One Design a reality; have it as a PWA event and an Olympic class. No more guessing which board or sail makes the difference between winning and losing.

What!!!!??!! Does that mean you also do one design slalom boards, wave boards and freestyle boards? Dont think so:)

BelSkorpio
2nd April 2010, 03:50 AM
Oops, here we go again :)

I wonder, if they can make the sails any lighter, will guys like AA still go over 13m2 sail size in the future ?

sergio k
2nd April 2010, 04:35 AM
Oops, here we go again :)

I wonder, if they can make the sails any lighter, will guys like AA still go over 13m2 sail size in the future ?
Formula rule sail max 12.5 m2, so don't think 13m2 is happening,
but sails are getting lighter and more powerfull latelly. All top guys are using max sail
sizes, not just AA, he's just the best at the moment.

Finn
5th April 2010, 03:43 PM
Drops anyone?

With risk of sliding on the subject of the thread somewhat: Has anyone here any experience of the formula board that Drops registered this season?

It wasn't on the world championships and I can't find any tests yet. I can get a fair price from my local dealer but is really interested in more input before closing the deal.