PDA

View Full Version : bigger footstrap screws - Roger?

dominic72
1st April 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi there

so finally the time has come for me too to break the thread on my footstrap inserts - this time the on a 2008 Kombat

my feeling is it is the smaller screws - those 28mm long - that are causing this problem especially when associated with a pretty thick footstrap (a Dakine in my case, which I'm finding much more comfy than the SB ones)

I've moved the bigger screws from a '09 EVo (7x32 mm) to the Kombat and they work great. Thing is, I need both boards ready to ride and I don't have enough of the bigger ones to fit the two boards. So Roger, where can I buy new 7x32 screws? no shop around here (Italy) seems to have them in stock. Called a few in britain abut to no avail. Should I rather go to a naval equipment shop and look for stainless steel screws in the same size? thanks, domenico

Roger
2nd April 2010, 02:24 AM
Hi dominic,
I will have to consult with Starboard HQ on this.
I do not think you will find 7mm/1.0 pitch x 32mm long PT screws at any local marine
supply stores.
I will write to *bd HQ now and we will see what they can do about getting you some
of the longer/larger dia. (7mm vs 6mm) PT screws.
You need 6 screws (3 footstraps) or 8 screws (4 footstraps)?

Ola_H
2nd April 2010, 01:07 PM
The 09 boards have the 6*32 screw, I think, before that 6*28. But for 2010 also the diameter is up, so now it's 7*32. The plugs in the boards are the same though.

Since you're plugs seem a bit worn, the 7mm screws seems like the way to go, the extra diameter will make the connection much stronger than just the extra length.

As Roger says, these are specialized screws not so easy to find in regular shops. I think your italian importer would be the people to talk to.

If you run out of luck with them, email me (ola.heleniusXXXoru.se, swap XXX for @) and I will post you some 7*32 screws since I have a few spares around).

dominic72
2nd April 2010, 03:54 PM
Ola thanks a lot as usual! I'll check with the local importer. I'm not sure the diameter is 7 mm after reading your message, I guess it's 6 mm since the boards are from 08 and 09. I've got the thread repair and only the outer part of the thread is worn. what I want to make sure though is I've got the longer ones which seem to be much more reliable especially if you use different, thicker footstraps

will keep you posted, cheers for now

Domenico

dominic72
6th April 2010, 06:38 PM
Hi ROger

I am trying to sort this out with Link Distribution which is the local importer here in italy -- if I don't find those screws (by the way they should be 6x32 mm, not 7x32 I was wrong) I'll get back to you. thanks a lot for helping out, and aloha
dom

Roger
6th April 2010, 08:27 PM
Hi Dom,
I wrote to Starboard HQ in Thailand and they are looking for some screws to send you.
Once they find the 7 mm x 32 mm screws we can work out the details on how to send them.
If you get some from Link Dist. or get the ones Ola offered, let me know please.
Hope this helps,
Roger

dominic72
15th April 2010, 04:05 PM
Hi ROger and Ola,

following your tips I ordered some 7x32 mm screws from my local distributor in italy which managed to ship them. I tried one and it seems to work well on the worn rear footstrap screw hole in my 2009 Kombat. Do you suggest I should replace all the old 6x28 screws with the new 7x32 ones? just wanted to make sure I don't make any damage with a longer screw which could dig a hole past the thread. I guess this shouldn't occurr as I am using a pretty thick footstrap from dakine and a pretty thick SB footstrap washer too. but I'll levae it up to you guys.

thanks again, domenico

Roger
16th April 2010, 08:34 AM
Hi Domenico,
Yes, you can replace all your 6 mm x 1.00 x 28 mm PT foot strap screws with 7 mm x 1.00 x 32 mm PT screws.
Since your inserts already have had 6mm x 1.00 PT screw threads in all of the holes you use, if you use a bar of soap (as lubricant) you will have little if any issues replacing your foot strap screws.
I would not worry about the screws being too long. Starboard R&D has tested these longer (32 mm) screws and now recommend then and supply them with all the 2010
Starboard WS products.
Hope this helps,
Roger

dominic72
16th April 2010, 09:19 PM
thanks Roger, I just did did and it worked great.

my 2 cents on the issue of broken footstrap threads: I found it much easier/faster to fix the thread in the old 2008/2009 boards by getting bigger screws. the new 7 x 1 x 32 are perfect for the job. to me, new screws work better that repairing the thread with Loctite

cheers
DOm

Roger
17th April 2010, 08:17 AM
Hi Dom,
I agree completely!
Only reason for suggesting the thread repair kits was that there was no source
for larger (7mm x 32 mm) screws.
Now that we have a solid solution, if you can get the 7 mm screws, its the
best/smartest solution to this long standing issue!
Hope this helps,
Roger