PDA

View Full Version : Best Fin for Futura 93l + 5.8m Sail

agrelon
9th April 2010, 11:59 AM
Hi all,

I got a Futura 93l 2009 3 days ago and have had 2 sessions with it so far. It feels super good and the control and speed is impeccable, even over powered. Just getting the occasional spinout when landing jumps.

I got the board second hand and the fin that came with it is a Drake Freeslalom Swift 30cm. I know that new futuras are shipped with 34cm Drake fins.... would a slightly bigger fin work better with the board overall?

With my Ram F8 5.8m sail what would be the best fin out there right now? (I won't be sailing for the next month and might want to get one for when I get back on the water)

Remi
9th April 2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Agrelon,

Look at this link

http://www.star-board.com/2010/news_events/read.php?threadid=8010

All the best

COACHG
10th April 2010, 08:48 AM
I have the 2008 Futura 93 and it came with the 34 cm Drake fin. Your weight is close to mine and I only use a 30 cm fin with my 5.0 or 4.5. Get a good 33-36 cm slalom fin for your 5.8 race sail.

Coachg

agrelon
10th April 2010, 10:03 AM
I have the 2008 Futura 93 and it came with the 34 cm Drake fin. Your weight is close to mine and I only use a 30 cm fin with my 5.0 or 4.5. Get a good 33-36 cm slalom fin for your 5.8 race sail.

Coachg

Ok, I'm not whether I can get a Drake fin in Hong Kong, would probably have to order it. I might settle for a Select Freeslam 34cm in that case. I can get one of those in HK, and I'll be able to use the 30cm with my 4.7m when bring my board back to Europe.

agrelon
11th April 2010, 11:12 AM
I'm still debating between a 32cm or a 34cm Freeslam.... I think before I make my decision I need to do a lot more testing with my current fin. Now that I have GPS I'll be better able to gauge changes in speed as a result of changing fins.

PrydeMan
12th April 2010, 02:50 PM
I have Futura 93 and 111 2009 models. I use Select SL9 and SL7 fins. For a 5.5m on the 93 I'm using a 33cm or a 31cm SL9. For a 6.5m I'm using a 35cm SL7, some times the 33cm if's falt and windy. I'm 80kgs.
For the 111 I use a SL7 39 for my 7.5m. Some times when its light I use a 41cm RS7.

agrelon
12th April 2010, 04:38 PM
I have Futura 93 and 111 2009 models. I use Select SL9 and SL7 fins. For a 5.5m on the 93 I'm using a 33cm or a 31cm SL9. For a 6.5m I'm using a 35cm SL7, some times the 33cm if's falt and windy. I'm 80kgs.
For the 111 I use a SL7 39 for my 7.5m. Some times when its light I use a 41cm RS7.

Hi Prydeman,

Do you think using these slalom fins really boosted the board's performance? Out of the 31 and 33, which one do you prefer for the Futura 93? Thanks for your input.

agrelon
14th April 2010, 11:06 AM
I might be getting either a S09 or an S07 in either 31cm or 33cm, which do you recommend out of the 4 options?

Thanks.

mark h
14th April 2010, 08:04 PM
Hi Agrelon
The S07 is a powerfull fin so the 31cm will be best (especially if its used for your new GPS). The S09 would need to be about 2cm bigger than S07 for same power. I think the S07 is a better all-round fin c/w the S09.

If you feel good on your current Drake 30cm (board not sticking, gliding/fly is good) then the S07 is probably a safe bet:)

agrelon
14th April 2010, 10:37 PM
Hi Mark,

After reading what Remi said in this thread I'm not sure I'm going to change fin just yet: http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7888

Other than a little spinout, I've haven't really tested the Drake enough to already consider replacing it. It's just that as I can't sail my Futura for the next 3 weeks so I wanted to spend some money in order to get some sort of windsurfing fix ;) I think instead I will put the money aside either for a NP Tempo 6.7, at which point I will need a bigger fin, or for a stiffer boom.

Thanks for the advice anyways.

PS. Have you ever repaired one of your wood iSonics? I've posted another thread about some slight damage my board has undergone and this thread remains unanswered :( If you have repaired one of your boards in the past could you check it out? Thanks again.

Adrien G

mark h
15th April 2010, 02:54 AM
Hi, yeah I'd try and get hold of some gel coat and red pigment (no painting required). Lightly fill and sand. Alternatively, a bit of epoxy resin (araldit) gently used to fill scratches/gaps and lightly sanded will do an decent job. I think I would definetly want to fill the holes to be on the safe side:)

agrelon
15th April 2010, 08:54 AM
Hi, yeah I'd try and get hold of some gel coat and red pigment (no painting required). Lightly fill and sand. Alternatively, a bit of epoxy resin (araldit) gently used to fill scratches/gaps and lightly sanded will do an decent job. I think I would definetly want to fill the holes to be on the safe side:)

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Yeh, I definitely want to be on the safe side, I want this thing to last! Apparently gelcoat can damage boards on bigger dings, as I think it consumes the foam inside the board, but in this case clearly all that's happened is the coating has been scratched off to expose the wood.

Cheers.

PrydeMan
15th April 2010, 12:12 PM
For a 5.8m I would lean towards a 31cm if you are going to be sailing mainly fully powered up. The SL7 are a more all round fin, but at this size I and more sailing for speed so thats why I went the SL9. My SL7 35cm works really well with my 6.5m on the F93, does go upwind with ease.

PrydeMan
15th April 2010, 12:15 PM
Agrelon,

If you are looking at getting a 6.7m NP sail for the F93, I would go either a Hellcat or H2. These sails work so well with the Futura range.

agrelon
15th April 2010, 01:28 PM
Agrelon,

If you are looking at getting a 6.7m NP sail for the F93, I would go either a Hellcat or H2. These sails work so well with the Futura range.

Yeah, I think I'll go for a Hellcat. Should be a breeze to jibe as well after using my 5.8m F8 RAM which is quite heavy. Have you used a 6.7m Hellcat on your Futura 93l or have you just heard that the board + sail combo works well? Thanks.

mark h
15th April 2010, 09:12 PM
Ok. Thanks for the advice. Yeh, I definitely want to be on the safe side, I want this thing to last! Apparently gelcoat can damage boards on bigger dings, as I think it consumes the foam inside the board, but in this case clearly all that's happened is the coating has been scratched off to expose the wood.

Cheers.

Hi, you will be fine with the Gel Coat. Gel coat is only a problem if its on or very near the foam core. There is a 2 or 3 minute window when the gel coat/epoxy generates "self heat", it can get very hot and it can melt the foam core during this short period. But as the scratches are shallow and have the wood between it and the foam, it will defo be good:)

agrelon
15th April 2010, 11:15 PM
Hi, you will be fine with the Gel Coat. Gel coat is only a problem if its on or very near the foam core. There is a 2 or 3 minute window when the gel coat/epoxy generates "self heat", it can get very hot and it can melt the foam core during this short period. But as the scratches are shallow and have the wood between it and the foam, it will defo be good:)

Ok, thanks for your confirmation. I can't wait to have it patched up and back on the water. They absence makes the heart grow stronger, but not being able to sail is just making me an edgy guy... At least with a good repair job I know I can get back on the water with nothing to worry about.

PrydeMan
16th April 2010, 01:08 PM
I use to have Hellcats on the Futura 93 before the V8s. The 6.7m was the biggest I ran and I still could beat my mate on his supersport 10? with a 7m V8 around a one mark course. This could have been due to the futura is quick to plan from the start and the hellcat is great gyber.

agrelon
16th April 2010, 03:26 PM
I use to have Hellcats on the Futura 93 before the V8s. The 6.7m was the biggest I ran and I still could beat my mate on his supersport 10? with a 7m V8 around a one mark course. This could have been due to the futura is quick to plan from the start and the hellcat is great gyber.

Good to hear it. The guy who sold me my Futura sail it worked really well for him with a 6.6m sail. 6.7m would also be my biggest sail for it.

agrelon
25th April 2010, 09:31 PM
Sailed the Futura again today in winds from 10 - 40 knots (no exaggeration) and the chop was the hardest I've ever sailed in. Today I think the 30cm Freeslam Swift felt much too small, as my fin was regularly out of the water and fixing spinout and going upwind was tough.

Also, my board felt really slow to plane, though I think this may be due to my boom lowering while a sailed as I think I rigged my sail the same as last time and I could get planing much quicker before.

I need to do one more test on flatter water to decide whether or not I'm going to change my fin.

agrelon
7th May 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm getting my hands on a JP Super-X 34cm fin for next to nothing. I'm getting it mainly to get a broad idea of how a bigger fin changes the board's feeling. If I like it, I'll probably get a newer 34cm fin.