PDA

View Full Version : 122l Futura able to carry 9.0m2 Code Red?

plaining_exits
19th April 2010, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I'm considering buying a big sail for my Starboard Futura 122l, 2008 model. One options is a 9.0m2 Severne Code Red. Do you think the board is able to carry the sail? I'm an intermediate level rider, weight 75kg. Intend to use the sail with my Select SRX Freerace fin, 46cm.

Thanks in advance for help!

PG
20th April 2010, 12:40 PM
A 9.0 sail on the Futura 122 will definitively overpower it. It might have worked if you would be 10 kg lighter, but now I do think you will get better performance out of a smaller sail (still bigger than 8.0, maybe an 8.5 woould do?).

plaining_exits
20th April 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your answer PG. But I wonder why Starboard markets the range as 5.5-9.0m2 then, if 9.0 will definitively overpower the board? Also, 9.0m2 will definitively overpower, but 8,5m2 might work out? Is it really so "exact science"?

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to understand. Wonder if anybody around my weight has actually tried the combination? Do you have first hand experience?

Thanks in advance for help in my mission to get planing a little bit earlier...

agrelon
20th April 2010, 02:53 PM
Hello,

I'm considering buying a big sail for my Starboard Futura 122l, 2008 model. One options is a 9.0m2 Severne Code Red. Do you think the board is able to carry the sail? I'm an intermediate level rider, weight 75kg. Intend to use the sail with my Select SRX Freerace fin, 46cm.

Thanks in advance for help!

Currently, what's the biggest sail you're using with it?

plaining_exits
20th April 2010, 02:59 PM
The biggest sail that I'm currently using with the board is a 7.5m2 Severne Gator.

LK
20th April 2010, 03:03 PM
I canít see why a 9,0 should overpower the board. It is in the boards sail range and you are a light weight.
The fin choice looks OK too. For a 100 kg rider it would be on the edge, but with your 75 kg it is fine.

Cheers
FU 111 and FU 144

kennatt
20th April 2010, 03:09 PM
the 122 i have will take an 8.5 easily (90 k),but the 9m code red is a heavy sail and probably at the limit of uphauling ability for me but you may get away with it at 75k still enough volumn. That would be the only issue, if there is wind then the board will take a 9metre.I tried a 9.5 severne twin cam on it and whilst it sails ok with the track forwards and a bigger fin,Just feels too big.I found the best set up was with my 7.7 code red.cheers

plaining_exits
20th April 2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for comments everybody. LK and kennatt, you sound like you have some experience on the subject? Actually, I found an older post, where kennatt said that "9 meter full cam race sail" worked "just about ok" for him on a similar board... maybe me being 15k lighter would help here? This is actually quite in line what LK said... Also, isn't the code red supposed to be a light sail, or is it just "light feel"?

Supposed the 9.0m2 sail is too big for the board: what does it mean/how does it feel? More difficult to uphaul? More difficult to sail?

thx

agrelon
20th April 2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for comments everybody. LK and kennatt, you sound like you have some experience on the subject? Actually, I found an older post, where kennatt said that "9 meter full cam race sail" worked "just about ok" for him on a similar board... maybe me being 15k lighter would help here? This is actually quite in line what LK said... Also, isn't the code red supposed to be a light sail, or is it just "light feel"?

Supposed the 9.0m2 sail is too big for the board: what does it mean/how does it feel? More difficult to uphaul? More difficult to sail?

thx

I think one problem is that you increase the sail size, and therefore increase the fin size, but the width of the board remains the same. Ie. the width of the board might not give you sufficient leverage over the ideal fin for this sail size, and therefore the board might be tiring to sail/ keep under control.

Other than that, I'm not sure (and would also like to know) what the "symptoms" are of using too big a sail size for a certain board.

plaining_exits
21st April 2010, 03:48 AM
I was thinking, it would really be great to get a comment from a Star-Board representative: what exactly does the upper limit 9.0m2 in sail range mean for 122l Futura (as an example). What sailor weight and ability, sail type etc... how should those ranges be understood.

So, SB people, please speak up!

and thanks in advance...

plaining_exits
22nd April 2010, 02:05 AM
One more attempt to catch Star-Boards attention... :)

kennatt
22nd April 2010, 03:01 PM
its also that the centre of effort in relation to the fin and footstraps,moves progressively backwards as the sail size increases hence the need to move the track forwards to prevent overloading the fin,Once you are at the front of the track and the fin is still overloaded then that sail is too big,and causes spin out especially when going upwind in choppy conditions.A monster fin overcomes this to an extent,but then you will go slower because of extra drag.One of the benifits of the hypersonic was that you could use smaller fins because of the hull shaping therefor big sails worked on smaller voulmn and didn't overload the fin. So, most brands give a minimum and max sail size but somewhere either side of middle range give or take a metre are the sweet spots for a given wind strength.you can use sails beyond these sizes I'm sure you could use a 10metre on a 122 or 4 but then there would be no point since you would go better with a bigger or smaller board I would suspect that in testing SB used a 9 m 0n 122 and found that this was about as big as the fins supplied and the comfort level of the board could take once above that then you need to go to the next board up

plaining_exits
22nd April 2010, 03:50 PM
kennatt, thank you for the comment! Your explanation on the way SB might determine the sail range makes sense to me. I think I'll just try my luck with the sail and see how it feels...

Thanks everybody!

kennatt
25th April 2010, 02:40 AM
i'm sure it will be fine,but you may need a bigger fin than the one supplied fair winds

plaining_exits
19th May 2010, 04:48 PM
Just FYI, in case anybody's interested: I've now been sailing my futura 122, code red 9.0m2 and 46cm fin a few times and I'm liking it so far. The sail generates far more power in low winds compared to my 7.5m2, so I'm planing maybe 2-3 knots earlier (around 10 knot mark). Gybes need more work, but I'm getting the hang of them too. And the sail definitely can handle a lot of wind, so at the moment, the limiting factor is me. And I'm working on that as well :)

All in all, I'm very satisfied