PDA

View Full Version : Quad - foot strap position and further trim

wallhalla
25th May 2010, 04:02 AM
Hi,
I just got my Quad 81- it just looks great!!!
I have some question (to save some time on the water and to just enjoy it ;-))

Foot strap position
How does the foot strap position affect the ride? What do you recommend?

Fin fitting:
The front fins do not fully fit in, but the fin blades (or however you call it) stick out a bit (1-2 mm). Do you recommend to file them down for better fitting?

Fin Position
my guess is that moving the back fins forward will loosen the drive. But has anybody tried an asymetric setup?

thanks and regards

PrydeMan
25th May 2010, 10:21 AM
I have Quad 81 and for my board the front fins do not fit correctly one way, but if I switch them they fit perfectly. I do however have issues with back fins getting loose during sailing. This can be overcome by slightly tightening them, but I need to remove them to fit in the car.
Other than that the Quad 81 is a great board. It tracks up wind well and can pop off any chop.

wallhalla
25th May 2010, 03:38 PM
thanks for the answer.
Yes, the fins fit better one way - but only better.
On is extremly tight and the base still sticks out out a mm - is ok or should I file it ia bit?

the other fin is thighly in the end but wiggles a bit on the top also sticking out about a mm. When screwed it wiggles hardly any more.

Is 1mm ok to stick out? I'm a bit afraid to file the fins down as this can't be reversed in case they get looser over time.

the small back fins are also loose - so I applies some tape to one side of the base hoping that this makes it a firmer fit.

thanks and regards

Ola_H
26th May 2010, 04:02 PM
Foot strap position
How does the foot strap position affect the ride? What do you recommend?

It's mostly a matter of taste. I run my rear strap in the back position and my front straps in the middle. Tecknically, by moving the straps forward you can calm down the ride a bit and make the board less nervous.

Fin fitting:
The front fins do not fully fit in, but the fin blades (or however you call it) stick out a bit (1-2 mm). Do you recommend to file them down for better fitting?

Do you mean that the "actual fin" part of the fin sticks out from the base? That is not something you should file. Or do you mean that the fin base does not fit in the box? If so first check if there might be some residue plastic in the bottom of the box. If so take it away. If not you may lightly sand the fin base to make for a better fin. There is a trick where you rub the base in (hard) soap, then push it in the box, where the fit is to tight the soap will wear off and this is there you sand.

Fin Position
my guess is that moving the back fins forward will loosen the drive. But has anybody tried an asymetric setup?

Back fins further back add drive and directional stability. Forwards means a looser ride. You can run them assy if you want, but I figure you can just as well adjust both of them the same way for a more noticeable effect.