PDA

View Full Version : New Phantom 380 Owner

symon260z
11th June 2010, 06:06 PM
Hello to everyone on the forum,

Iīve been out of windsurfing for over 15 years due to knee problems. I always prefered longboard to shortboards, maybe I liked the challenge in a good blow :-)

I am now living in the south of China where the winds are generally light to moderate so Iīve just placed an order for a 380 Phantom and a 9,5 Starboard raceboard sail, infortunately I will not receive until early August.

Has anybody here on the forum had experience with the sail that I bought ? is it good in light winds ? Any body got photos of the sail on the water ? Iīve looked everywhere in the internet but I canīt find any info.

Symon

Remi
12th June 2010, 01:30 AM
Hi Symon,

Welcome and you can have a look here and you will discover the Phantom Race 380, 320 but also the Star-Board and Severne Race-Board sailBy the way I recommend you the Severne one

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=81757&id=699380806&ref=pb

All the best

symon260z
12th June 2010, 09:07 AM
Hi Remi,

Thanks for your reply.

I live in China and Facebook is censored here, Iīll take a look the next time I go Hong Kong :-)

I didnīt know that Severne also makes a raceboard sail, I have looked at the Severne website many times but I couldnīt see any reference to a Raceboard sail

Symon

Remi
12th June 2010, 10:09 PM
Hi Symon,

Yes I forgot this, I was 2 weeks ago in China and notice this. On moday I will try to send you a link to have access to this

All the best

symon260z
25th June 2010, 08:08 PM
Hi Remi,
At last Iīve been able to look at your Facebook photos. Some great shots that give a really good idea what raceboarding is about, I particularly liked the onboard shots :-)
Now I am even more impatient to get my board, luckily a mate that lives in Hong Kong wil lget his board in a couple of weeks and has invited me for a test drive !
Thanks for everything
Symon

Remi
29th June 2010, 12:05 AM
Hi Symon,

Give me your impression when you get it, and enjoy it

All the best

vamvanen
26th September 2010, 03:42 PM
hi Remi

I am also a new Phantom 380 owner, coming from ancient years of DII thereafter long boards (mistal equipe and AHD 380) now i hv decided to start over again the longboards experience since Formula became more and more extreme for a middle 40's workoholic.
My questions is since i am a heavyweight (94 kg) is it the 9.5 severne enough or i should look for a bigger one to enjoy my rides?
What are my options in the market between sails companies then, since the formula sails are a bit stiff and "heavy" for longboards?
The 9.5 has to do with the sail design of the sails middle 90's?? looks like from the photos!

regards
Spyros

Remi
27th September 2010, 07:51 AM
Hi Spyros,

I am about 90kgs and the Severne Race-Board is perfect for me for ligth winds conditions, you should look at the Facebook page at post 2 and for more details about it on the Severne Web page.

All the best

smilefixer
27th September 2010, 11:55 PM
Spyro geia sou . eimai o manos symeonidis apo ton NOVouliagmenis an katalava kala mallon eisai o palios mou synathilitis apo tin varkiza !!! An theleis mporw na sou daneisw kai megalyteto Severne Code red 11.7 na dokimaseis . mallon tha agorasw kai egw to Phantom apo to Marko . twra exw mia FORMULA LWR pou tsakizei !!! kai ena exocet sting. An to diavaseis syntoma mporoume kai na milisoume sto tilefwno ... kai sto forum mpika gia na diavasw an proepei na dialeksw PHANTOM 380 i 320 .

symon260z
1st November 2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Symon,

Give me your impression when you get it, and enjoy it

All the best

Hi Remi,

I've had my Phantom for 3 months now, Iīve been sailing it loads.

I think that the Phantom is amazing, good in light winds, good in strong winds, goes upwind like a rocket and on a reach no one has come by me yet. Itīs even good on quite a bumpy sea. Just a shame there aren't more Phantoms here in China so we could put together a decent race series.

Somebody has thought a lot about the Phantom, all the little details are right, even the daggerboard works well ! Footstraps are in the right place. Only thing I would change is to have an infinitely adjustable mast track.

Thanks for the good work

Symon

Remi
1st November 2010, 03:36 PM
Hi Symon

What you mean for the mast track, thanks

All the best

Unregistered
1st November 2010, 05:53 PM
Not in steps !

So you can put it in any position .

Remi
2nd November 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Unregistered,

So add more position basically. This can be done easily.

Where you would like to add? Or simply add all the way.

All the best

symon260z
2nd November 2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Symon

What you mean for the mast track, thanks

All the best

Hi Remy,

What I mean is a mast track like the old Mistral Equipes / One Design where you can put move the mast rack to any position. The Phantom has 6 o 7 positions which is good but every one has their own style and would like the posiiton to be different.

I took the mast track apart on my Phantom and cut more positions :-) Also I find it a bit annoying if I don't get the position 100% right that the track moves unexpectedly until it finds a cut out to sit in.

This is the only suggestion that I can make as the rest of the board is excellent. For example last friday I was out on flat water in quite gusty conditions ( 5 - 30 knots ) with an 8,4 Gaastra Vapor. The upwind speed and pointing angle are very good, reaching is fast but the most amazing angle was broad reaching. The board always behaves itself very well ( unlike the sailor ) even in the biggest gust.

Iīd love to be able to race the board but there is no racing here in China. I'll have to look at going to Hong Kong to join in their series.

Thanks for the great work on this board.

Symon

p.s. If you come back over to China please get in touch !

Remi
3rd November 2010, 05:33 AM
Hi Symon

Thanks for your proposal

We didn't choose the Mistral one for different reasons :
It s almost impossible during a race to put your mast in the rigth position and also durability wasn't good enough
Yes very good that you add position for your own style is a part of tuning :)

Enjoy it and let you know when I will come back to China

All the best

vamvanen
7th November 2010, 12:38 PM
Spyro geia sou . eimai o manos symeonidis apo ton NOVouliagmenis an katalava kala mallon eisai o palios mou synathilitis apo tin varkiza !!! An theleis mporw na sou daneisw kai megalyteto Severne Code red 11.7 na dokimaseis . mallon tha agorasw kai egw to Phantom apo to Marko . twra exw mia FORMULA LWR pou tsakizei !!! kai ena exocet sting. An to diavaseis syntoma mporoume kai na milisoume sto tilefwno ... kai sto forum mpika gia na diavasw an proepei na dialeksw PHANTOM 380 i 320 .

thanks for contact, unfortun. i had a problem with my back so till now didnt had the change to ride the Ph.380 still wating... as the sail concerned i took the NP 9.5 kit from Byron complete, easy, light, and loot forward. I have a 12.5 Gaastra from my last days in formula but it is too heavy for 380. looking forward to see u in the water :)

justforfun888
9th February 2011, 07:13 AM
I am the owner of a 380 of 2008.
Use a sail of 7.8 meters. last Saturday have broken in half. sailing in 15 knots
I think it is a fragile board
I asked the dealer in Argentina if I could make any claim to the factory and they answered no that is not under warranty.
I would like a response from the factory
thanks