PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for deck pads and for boom

RonnieS
7th July 2010, 05:35 PM
Hi , what is best glue for:
1 - gluing deck pads back on ? The one I used the last time didn't last.
2 - gluing boom cover back on to boom? (Aeron aluminium)

sjb
7th July 2010, 08:20 PM
contact cement...follow the directions on the can

nonopr
7th July 2010, 10:38 PM
The real Contact Cement should be yellow in color, Dont let anyone try to sell you the clear option or the not so smelly option is crap.

RadiantX
8th July 2010, 05:20 AM
Selleys kwik grip contact adhesive (smelly yellow stuff). Just (few months ago) put a new rear deck pad on my board and it's holding up perfectly.

RonnieS
8th July 2010, 06:47 AM
Hi Is Selleys an Oz product? i am in UK.

IRL-250
8th July 2010, 09:26 AM
You can get contact cement from any of the big hardware shops like B&Q. Not 100% sure who it's made by (i think it is made by evo stik) but ask any of the staff working there and they will show you where it is in the shop.

IRL-250
8th July 2010, 10:08 AM
This was the stuff i used http://www.screwfix.com/prods/72928/Sealants-Adhesives/Adhesives/Contact-Adhesives/Evo-Stik-Impact-Adhesive-500ml

basher
20th July 2010, 07:43 AM
Just re-gluing pads down here too.

What you want – for board foot pads or boom – is a decent contact adhesive, and one that is not water-based.
So it should be smelly with heady solvents when you open the tin. Enjoy.

First wash the area with fresh water and allow to dry thoroughly.
Then abraid with sandpaper – to key up the surfaces to be glued.
You could first try and remove excess old glue with solvent-based thinners – as in, the nail varnish remover one, not white spirit as we call it in the UK.

Then apply contact adhesive to both surfaces. Let it dry for fifteen minutes (or touch dry). Then press both surfaces together. If the boom grip has stretched you can cut excess off or else sand away later.

Leave glued item for 24hrs to achieve maximum bond strength before using. Ideally.