PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Light Wind Board Recommendations?

iaorana
24th July 2010, 08:35 AM
Looking for the ultimate light wind board to plane effortlessly in 7 to 10 knots in flat water bay with Ezzy 8.5 Freeride no cam sail. I am 5'2", 120lbs. Proficient jiber.

Currently sailing Hypersonic 125 with Drake 44cm fin with Ezzy 8.5 and doing fine, but would like to get up on a plane earlier without much pumping and would like to glide through the rulls more. This will be a dedicated lightwind flat water board for blasting and jibing with maximum speed.

I have been recommended iSonic 121 & 131 wood and wood carbon, Futura of simillar sizes and also JP Supersport 135.

For my small physique, narrower strap placement options work the best .

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Iaorana

My Toys: SB Hypersonic 125, JP Freestyle Wave 84, Ezzy Infinity 7.8, Ezzy Freeride 6.5, 5.5, Ezzy Wave SE 4.7.

sergio k
29th July 2010, 12:48 AM
Not sure if you'll be able to do 7 knots planning with 8.5 m2 sail, but your best bet Isonic 133
in my opinion, that board is super efficient in light winds with relatively small sails.

sergio k
29th July 2010, 12:54 AM
sorry, I guess this year it's Isonic 131 and you'd would have to pump to achive better planning results.

Unregistered
29th July 2010, 12:47 PM
Do you think with Ezzy 8.5, it won't make much diffenece for me to plane earlier with isonic 131 or with my current hypersonic 125? What size fin would work for me? Thanks!

Unregistered
29th July 2010, 12:56 PM
Do you think with Ezzy 8.5, it won't make much diffenece for me to plane earlier with isonic 131 or with my current hypersonic 125? What size fin would work for me? Thanks! Would wood carbon board make a significant difference in early planing in light wind, compared to wood board? Are there any issues with wood carbon boards? My hypersonic is wood and so far I've had pretty good luck with its durability. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

PG
29th July 2010, 02:12 PM
The German Surf Magazin tested "light wind planing boards" in their latest issue: JP Super Lightwind, *board iSonic 150, Futura 155, Lorch Bird 149 and 179.

The conclusion was that the best board for effortless lightwind planing, in combination with spirited performance, was the Lorch Bird 149 at 74 cm wide and 261 long. The lesser width was compensated by a longer drawn out rocker line (compared to the 238 of the JP, and teh even shorter Starboards).

That is, the bird was more efficient than the JP at 90 cm width, and in particular than the iSonic 150 at 93 cm width! However, the iSonic was faster as it is a pure slalom board rather than an early planing machine (more suitable for those who like to pump).

Thus, weight is important for early planing, but length even more so...

If you still go down the iSonic route I think that you don't need to go any bigger than 121 at your weight.

sergio k
29th July 2010, 11:01 PM
Do you think with Ezzy 8.5, it won't make much diffenece for me to plane earlier with isonic 131 or with my current hypersonic 125? What size fin would work for me? Thanks!

Hypersonic was not an early planning board, and I-131 ( and last year's i-133) was exceptional in performance and early planning, I would recommend 50-52cm after market fin.
Short/wide board like I-131 will respond better to active sailing style (pumping, riding the fin),
if you don't like it, pick something longer, narrower like Futura or Lorch , I-121 as some other post recommended.

mark h
30th July 2010, 12:11 AM
Hi PG,

If you have the time, would you type the full iS150 review on here?

John1
30th July 2010, 05:06 AM
I never got friend with the Hypersonic 133 so I now have a Futura 111. I can say that Iīm very impressed about the itīs ligth wind capacity. With my Ezzy freeride 8.0 (yes 8.0), the board is planning in ligther wind than the Hypersonic with the same sail, and in stonger winds itīs of cource much easier to sail.
JJ.

Unregistered
31st July 2010, 11:53 AM
The German Surf Magazin tested "light wind planing boards" in their latest issue: JP Super Lightwind, *board iSonic 150, Futura 155, Lorch Bird 149 and 179.

The conclusion was that the best board for effortless lightwind planing, in combination with spirited performance, was the Lorch Bird 149 at 74 cm wide and 261 long. The lesser width was compensated by a longer drawn out rocker line (compared to the 238 of the JP, and teh even shorter Starboards).

That is, the bird was more efficient than the JP at 90 cm width, and in particular than the iSonic 150 at 93 cm width! However, the iSonic was faster as it is a pure slalom board rather than an early planing machine (more suitable for those who like to pump).

If you still go down the iSonic route I think that you don't need to go any bigger than 121 at your weight.

Thanks for your information. I was thinking about this valid discussion of length advantage more than weight for light wind sailing too. Do you think Exocet Sting 124 is equaly up to the task in super light wind with 8.5? Your commnets are greatly appreciated!

Unregistered
31st July 2010, 12:04 PM
Hypersonic was not an early planning board, and I-131 ( and last year's i-133) was exceptional in performance and early planning, I would recommend 50-52cm after market fin.
Short/wide board like I-131 will respond better to active sailing style (pumping, riding the fin),
if you don't like it, pick something longer, narrower like Futura or Lorch , I-121 as some other post recommended.
Looks like if I don't want to pump too much, I will be better off with longer and narrower boards. Is iSonic 121 enough for planing with 8.5 in 10mph-12mph too? Does wood carbon boards make a lot of diffence in early planing compared to all wood boards? Your comments are appreciated very much!

Unregistered
31st July 2010, 12:23 PM

How did Futura 155 do in this comparison? I don't know that much about Futura, but is it considered equally fast early planing jibing machine in light wind or is it more of a recreational freeride board compared to the other boards you have listed? Thanks for your imput!

sergio k
1st August 2010, 12:47 AM
Looks like if I don't want to pump too much, I will be better off with longer and narrower boards. Is iSonic 121 enough for planing with 8.5 in 10mph-12mph too? Does wood carbon boards make a lot of diffence in early planing compared to all wood boards? Your comments are appreciated very much!

10-12 mph should be no problem with 121+8.5 sail unless you extremely inefficient, I think, lighter and specially stiffer boards again favor aggresive sailing style, with more passive technique(minimal pumping)
you will not see much diff..

Unregistered
1st August 2010, 01:44 AM
10-12 mph should be no problem with 121+8.5 sail unless you extremely inefficient, I think, lighter and specially stiffer boards again favor aggresive sailing style, with more passive technique(minimal pumping)
you will not see much diff..

Thanks for your input! I was sailing a couple of days ago with my Hypersonic 125 with 8.5 in subplaning condition for other sailors, but with my usual pumping galore, I have managed to plane quite often. I have to suffer again from joint pain in my previously injured right elbow though! I'm so tempted to pump at smallest of gusts to maximize my planing. May be that's my problem! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Unregistered
2nd August 2010, 03:06 AM
Thanks for your input! I was sailing a couple of days ago with my Hypersonic 125 with 8.5 in subplaning condition for other sailors, but with my usual pumping galore, I have managed to plane quite often. I have to suffer again from joint pain in my previously injured right elbow though! I'm so tempted to pump at smallest of gusts to maximize my planing. May be that's my problem! Thanks again for your suggestions.

My understanding so far is that iSsonic 131 is much more efficinet in early palning than my Hypersonic 125, but will iSonic 121 be yet much earlier planing than my Hypersonic 125 too? Your input is greatly appreciated!

sergio k
2nd August 2010, 12:08 PM
My understanding so far is that iSsonic 131 is much more efficient in early palning than my Hypersonic 125, but will iSonic 121 be yet much earlier planing than my Hypersonic 125 too? Your input is greatly appreciated!

'Much' is a relative term, I think I131 in wood carbon with a proper fin would be an ultimate light wind
machine for 8.5 sail, I121 would still work well comparing to hypersonic, cleaner bottom with sharper rail
will create better release to plain yearly. That deep double in hypersonic made it sticky to be an early plainer...

PG
2nd August 2010, 01:28 PM
According to the German Surf the Futura 155 in WC planned earlier (easier, without pumping) than the iSonic 150 (and the Manta FR 85). I get the impression that the F155 is about equal with the JP in early planing. But the Lorch Birds are slightly better...

The F155 also gets praise for ease of riding and jibing.

Unregistered
3rd August 2010, 01:00 AM
'Much' is a relative term, I think I131 in wood carbon with a proper fin would be an ultimate light wind
machine for 8.5 sail, I121 would still work well comparing to hypersonic, cleaner bottom with sharper rail
will create better release to plain yearly. That deep double in hypersonic made it sticky to be an early plainer...

Thanks for clarifying it!

Unregistered
3rd August 2010, 01:03 AM
According to the German Surf the Futura 155 in WC planned earlier (easier, without pumping) than the iSonic 150 (and the Manta FR 85). I get the impression that the F155 is about equal with the JP in early planing. But the Lorch Birds are slightly better...

Thanks again for your comments and information!

mark h
3rd August 2010, 10:32 PM
Hi PG, would interesting hear what they said about the iS150.

Unregistered
4th August 2010, 02:02 AM

Sergio K,
Please clarify here for everybody if you have ever:
- SEEN the boards you offered advice on,
- TOUCHED the boards you offered advice on
- SAILED the boards you offered advice on (if you sailed them, please indicate which boards you sailed, what level sailor you are, and how much sailing time you had on those exact boards).
My impression is that you are making up answers based on word of mouth , reading , etc but have not sailed for a single minute an iSonic I131 , or Lorch .Let alone know what fin works best with these boards .

So let's keep it real.

sergio k
5th August 2010, 01:48 AM
Sergio K,
Please clarify here for everybody if you have ever:
- SEEN the boards you offered advice on,
- TOUCHED the boards you offered advice on
- SAILED the boards you offered advice on (if you sailed them, please indicate which boards you sailed, what level sailor you are, and how much sailing time you had on those exact boards).
My impression is that you are making up answers based on word of mouth , reading , etc but have not sailed for a single minute an iSonic I131 , or Lorch .Let alone know what fin works best with these boards .

So let's keep it real.

Mr. Unregistered :)
I did ride I133 few time, have touched I131 and bunch of other slalom and free-slalom boards,
never laid my eyes on Lorch though. I've windsurfed for 15+ years, 110+ days a year,
formula, slalom mainly, living in light wind local, I have plenty of experience with the concept of early
planing and very good at it... I participate in local races, so I have excess and input from others,
plus, I like to experiment with custom boards, fins, etc,... currently custom shaper and myself are designing a slalom board for light/mid wind for me...
Of couse my advise is just my opinion...

Unregistered
6th August 2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks for clarifying it!

I just had a chance to do a little experiment with my friend's iSonic133 and my Hypersonic 125 with my 6.5 & 8.5 Ezzy Freeride in 10 - 17 mph (Ave.13mph) flat water condition. Here's my two cents!

For my 120lbs.body, iS133 accerelated balistically after a couple of pumps and it seems to want to go as fast as I can push it. It is definitely a great board for even lighter winds, which is the norm around here. Although I felt I could get by with iS121 quite fine with little more pumps, since I like narrower boards in general. As for my Hypersonic 125, it was not as early planing and the accerelation was not as balistic as iS133, but it felt more nimble under my feet and more fun to jibe. When I used a chop caused by boats to unstick the board with a big pump, it came extremely alive and acceralated into plane like a bullet and surprised me too. Is it possible that the big double concave of this board make it possible to unstick itself more efficiently than a flat bottomed boards when used correctly at the right moment as it hit the chop?

As for the sails, 6.5 and 8.5 was both quite effective for these boards at a given time, however 8.5 was clearly the optimum of the two I have tested at the time.

sergio k
6th August 2010, 03:55 AM
I just had a chance to do a little experiment with my friend's iSonic133 and my Hypersonic 125 with my 6.5 & 8.5 Ezzy Freeride in 10 - 17 mph (Ave.13mph) flat water condition. Here's my two cents!

For my 120lbs.body, iS133 accerelated balistically after a couple of pumps and it seems to want to go as fast as I can push it. It is definitely a great board for even lighter winds, which is the norm around here. Although I felt I could get by with iS121 quite fine with little more pumps, since I like narrower boards in general. As for my Hypersonic 125, it was not as early planing and the accerelation was not as balistic as iS133, but it felt more nimble under my feet and more fun to jibe. When I used a chop caused by boats to unstick the board with a big pump, it came extremely alive and acceralated into plane like a bullet and surprised me too. Is it possible that the big double concave of this board make it possible to unstick itself more efficiently than a flat bottomed boards when used correctly at the right moment as it hit the chop?

As for the sails, 6.5 and 8.5 was both quite effective for these boards at a given time, however 8.5 was clearly the optimum of the two I have tested at the time.

My guess with Hypersonic using the chop: the analogy would be using the power and smooth face of the wave to get on the plane, doesn't mean that wave board planes yearly, just that you use elements other than wind power.

Unregistered
7th August 2010, 04:37 AM
My guess with Hypersonic using the chop: the analogy would be using the power and smooth face of the wave to get on the plane, doesn't mean that wave board planes yearly, just that you use elements other than wind power.
Thanks for your comments. BTW, I read that Futura is using deeper double concave too. Do you think that would make the ride smoother than iSonic? Is there any advantage to that? Does the double concave make it easier to use the elements other than wind power you've mentioned?

sergio k
7th August 2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks for your comments. BTW, I read that Futura is using deeper double concave too. Do you think that would make the ride smoother than iSonic? Is there any advantage to that? Does the double concave make it easier to use the elements other than wind power you've mentioned?

deeper double concave should make ride smoother, Futura is an easier less technical ride than Isonic,
don't need me to tell you that, that's in star-board board description,
basically, more shape, softer rails, etc.. softer, easier ride, on the downside, response, early planning and speed sacrificed if you're more advance, aggressive windsurfer. As for surf-ability of double concave vs. flatter shapes, not sure... I would think if that was the case surfboards would utilize it heavily.

Unregistered
9th August 2010, 07:10 AM
[QUOTE=sergio k;42770]deeper double concave should make ride smoother, Futura is an easier less technical ride than Isonic,
don't need me to tell you that, that's in star-board board description,
basically, more shape, softer rails, etc.. softer, easier ride, on the downside, response, early planning and speed sacrificed if you're more advance, aggressive windsurfer. As for surf-ability of double concave vs. flatter shapes, not sure... I would think if that was the case surfboards would utilize it heavily.[/QUOTE
] Thanks again for your comments. Yes, I am aware of that Futura being a less technical ride compared to iSonic, however I have also read that in smaller sizes, there were very close to isonic performance, so my musing came about the use of double concaves. I will test that one of these days, if I get an opportunity. Thanks!

ChrisN
12th August 2010, 06:22 AM

Hey PG, check out the latest post on our earlier thread on Light Wind Blasters (http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8687&page=8). I translated the full Test of the SURF magazine and attached it as PDF.
Hope that the subsequent analysis would help to clarify which board fits into which need. I

I'll definitely go for the JP SLW 90 Gold edition OR for the SB iSonic 150 (if SB finally releases this one in WoodCarbon/ other Lightweight construction)...