PDA

View Full Version : Trading a Carve 122 on a ISonic 135

Vinny
12th January 2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Roger,

I think that I am an intermediate level windsurfer. 102 Kg (used to be 107). I have a formula experience board which I??m now learning to use downwind because sometimes it was hard to point back to the point that I have departed. This is my formula 160 problems, no flotation envolved. By the way I??m 42 turning 43 soon. Just 2 years windsurfing so far. Lots of TOW just to fight my own limitations. I am very stubborn learner. I guess I??m not a fast learner....

The question is I have a fine 2006 carve 122 and sometimes I have a hard time staying upwind. Sometimes the wind is too low to waterstart or too high either and I have to try five to six times to get it rigth, by this time I have went to far downwind and it is difficult to return.

I have the opportunnity to exchange this board (carve 2006) by a 135 Isonic of the same year. I??m feeling that I will have more flotation with this one and I bougth a 2007 naish red line sail 8,2 that I think will suit this last slalon board. What do ya think about these perpectives ? I also own a Gaastra Nitro 2 9.3 that is in the range both of the formula 160 tuskin board and the Isonic 133.

What Starboard means when its mentioned that the Isonics are a bit to technical ?

Thanks for your kind attention

;)

Vinny BRA118

Roger
15th January 2007, 07:23 AM
Hello Vinny,
My guess would be there would be a significant "overlap" between your FE 160 and the Isonic 135, but you are a very big guy at 102 Kg. (225 lbs.) and the extra volume in the Isonic 135 vs the Carve 122 might be very helpful.
As far as the Isonics being "technical" to sail, I've not found that to be true.
To get the absolute max. speed from an Isonic, yes, you need to be quite technical about your rigging and tuning, but to simply sail as fast as you can, the Isonics have been pretty easy, for me at least with significantly more experience than you've achieved in your 2 years of windsurfing.
I put quite a few demo sailors on the Isonic 115 last year, and most came back raving about how easy it was to go seemingly faster than they had achieved before.
As far as your getting downwinded on your boards, while trying to waterstart, what prevents you from uphauling?
I can waterstart, no problem, but I most often uphaul as it takes alot less time and energy.
As far as staying upwind while you are sailing, perhaps a larger and more vertical planform fin would help a great deal.
Also, with only 2 years of experience you may not have discovered how to sail "on the fin" to get your formula expereince board to go upwind when fully planing.
You can do the same on your Carve 122, but you probably need a larger fin and you need to be going pretty fast to get upwind "on the fin" on the smaller board.
So, the wider Isonic 135 can easily handle a larger fin, will plane significantly earlier than the Carve 122.
This could be a very good move for your overall progress.
Hope this helps,

Vinny
15th January 2007, 08:00 PM
Yesterday I "gave it a try" ( Isonic 135 06). The wind was blowing so hard (20+) that was impossible to me maintain safe and dry with the chops reaching almost 1 meter high. The board (80 cm) took off various times, This not used to happen with the Carve 122. I think my great problems in highr wind is to water start. Yesterday the owner of the club showed how to do it in this conditions. Also I??m into a diete and loose some kilos (107-100). Gonna start with the GYM so I??ll be lighter hopefully. I think the carve into high winds is easyer to control, and it is more manouvarable too. I??m tires on traping my self into uncomfortable windsurfing. I??ll give it a try in the I sonic 135 in Better conditions..... Thanks Roger....:(

Roger
15th January 2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Vinny,
What sail did you use in 20+ knots yesterday?
In your original post you only mention an 8.2 and a 9.3.
If you were on an 8.2 in 20+ knots you may have been simply "overpowered".
Even big guys like yourself can use smaller 6.0-7.0 m2 rigs when the wind gets up over 20 knots.
If you used the 8.2 m2 rig did you add alot more downhaul and a bit more outhaul to depower the sail?
Give Isonic 135 another try in conditions in the 12-18 knot range and I think you'll find it's very fast and pretty easy to keep on the water.
Keeping the board on the water could be partially rig tuning/sizing (too much power) or also partially mast foot positioning (mast foot not trimmed out to a point that holds the board on the water without increasing it's waterline length.
The Carve should be quite good for a fellow your size in about 16-22 knots.
Beyond 22 knots you need a smaller board like the Carve 111 or 101.
But you will need to perfect those waterstarts before going down to an almost "sinker" board.
Keep working on your waterstarts, that's the key to staying comfortable on smaller boards. Once you have the waterstart mastered, and are using smaller rigs, high winds won't give you so many problems.
The Isonic 135 should be a really good "midsize" board for your quiver.
I just had the '07 Isonic 122 out for the first time yesterday with first a 7.8 (not quite enough for the fluky Florida 8-12 knot winds) and then on a 8.5.
Perfect! I was going really well and had just "headed off" on a speed run when I ran onto a slightly submerged oyster bar at 25+ knots.
A major catapault/yard sale for sure....!
Fortunately I only got one small scratch on an arm, but the boom head exploded, the luff sleeve on the brand new 8.5 m2 was kinda "shredded " on the oyster shells, and the fin is going to need alot of work.
So, even with lots of experience, you can have some problems windsurfing as it's always a very "dynamic" sport.
Fortunately I was able to wrap the inhaul line around the mast and secure the boom enough to sail slowly back to shore about a mile and a half.
Hope this helps,

Vinny
16th January 2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Roger,

I was using a 5.5 Aerotech, majority of the guys where on 4.5 to 5.o sails..... And probably that day the wind was more strong than I can recall and gusts even more stronger.....
Wow. what an accident you had !!! Could be pretty serious....
I??ll give a try into the Isonic 135 again. The matter is that I will be able to keep only one of the two boards. Which one do you think will be suitable for me ?

Sails: 5.5 Charge Aerothech; 7.0 Evolution Naish; 8.2 07 redline Naish; 9.3 Nitro2 Gaastra; 11.0 RS3 Neilpryde.

Boards: 160 FE Starboard; 122 06 Carve Starboard.

Testing an Isonic 135 06

Roger
17th January 2007, 12:01 PM
OK Vinny,
I think you just had a bit of a "mis-match" between the 5.5 Aerotech Charge
(a nice little sail) and the Isonic 135.
I'm sure you would have had more fun with the 5.5 Charge on your Carve 122.
The conditions sound like they were really more in the 4.5-5.0 m2 range for other sailors on smaller boards.
You could probably use the 5.5 m2 Charge in those same conditions, but on a smaller board like I suspect the others sailors were on.
Yes, the 80 cm wide Isonic 135 is really too wide for those conditions with such a small sail.
In conditions where you would be using your 7.0/8.2 and 9.3, I think you will find the Isonic 133 really performs.
Your FE 160 should work well with the 9.3 and 11.0 race sails.
If you get to use your 5.5 and 7.0 alot, then keep the Carve 122 (or look at a smaller Isonic like the 115).
If you spend more time on the 8.2 and 9.3 then the Isonic 135 would perhaps be the better choice and get a smaller board (100-115 liters) to use for high winds and your smaller sails.
Hope this helps,

Vinny
17th January 2007, 05:55 PM
thanks Roger !!!

It??s always a great peasure to learn from you experience !!!!

All the best and keep safe !

Vinny