PDA

View Full Version : Rio to Futura

Mike R
29th October 2010, 08:22 AM
I'm an intermediate wind surfer.

I have a RIO (S), and using harness and straps.

What do you think about upgrading my kit to a Futura 122 ?

:)

PG
29th October 2010, 12:36 PM
Yes, go on and dot it. The F122 is a good intermediate board if you are lighter than 90 kg.

On the other hand, I actually think you should look at the the Carve 121 (or even 131). Less race oriented, but just as fast. Easier and more versatile, better to train jibes with.

COACHG
29th October 2010, 10:11 PM
You should state your ability-straps, harness, transitions, water starts?-conditions-wind & water state-along with your size.

Coachg

Mike R
29th October 2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks Coach G

I'm 195 #.... 58 yrs young, good shape..

I'm good in harness, OK in straps, and can plane on a broad reach well.

I can beach start, but my water starts are work in progress...

Thanks

Mike R
29th October 2010, 10:28 PM
I can tack and jibe slowly... I'm working at speedingup the jibe and tack tiurns... more work in progress...

Roger
29th October 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi Mike R.
Both PG and CoachG have given you good info, but I agree with Coachg that we need a little more
information to give the best possible recommendation.
Are you sailing the Rio S with the centerboard up (as a large shortboard) and are you using the
farthest back and outboard footstraps?
Are you sailing with 7.0 m2 or larger sails?
The Futura 122 would be good, but the new Carve 121 might be easier to learn planing jibes on.
Freshwater or saltwater?.... how much wind?......how much chop?.... sail sizes?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Mike R
29th October 2010, 10:36 PM
I can handle up to 25 knotts weell... Over 30 knots, and it gets more challenging

Mike R
29th October 2010, 10:40 PM
I typically use a 6.5 sail...

My foot straps are in the middle back position on the board... not all the way back.

I sail with center board up, now...

Mostly fresh water sails... but, some salt water experience.

I can handle white caps and chop.... with a max 2-3 ft swell. More than this...and it's a tough challenge.

COACHG
31st October 2010, 05:21 AM
Mike,
I’m guessing the 25 knotts you can handle are gusts, not averages so you are probably sailing in 17-18 knott winds with your 6.5 sail.

I’d say you are on the right track for your next board, especially for size. Initially the 122 will be unstable and difficult to uphaul, especially in chop. For sure you will want to dial in your water start with the 122 to make sailing easier. Go much smaller then 122 and it will be a water start only board, go bigger and you will be too close to your Rio.

Is the Futura the correct board? It’s not a bad choice and will help you progress. It really depends on what you want to do. Go fast-turn-jump-tricks? In the Starbaord line you have the Kode, Furtura and Carve in that range.

Coachg

Unregistered
31st October 2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks Coach G... I like to get the board on Plane... sooner the better, and good jibes and tack turns...
I will not be doing tricks anytime soon...
Tricks and jumps are not high on my " to do " list.

So... 121L Carve or 122L Futura ???

Hmmmmm.... decisions , decisions...

agrelon
31st October 2010, 12:11 PM
Futura - Speed never goes out of style.

If you do opt for the Carve, PLEASE buy it in wood. I tried the Carve 121 Tufskin, and it was not much fun at all. I didn't find it to carve especially, need to be seriously overpowered to plane through jibes.

PG
31st October 2010, 08:12 PM
This will either make your decision easier, or then not... Regardless it is useful reading: http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/120-litre-freeride-boards-intro-2010-138.html

They write, among other things: When the original Starboard Carve was replaced with the Futura, it’s fair to say that we weren’t the biggest of fans. The Futura was certainly fast, but in our opinion it seemed to have lost the essence of what ‘freeriding’ was about. With its thin and wide profile it made the rider feel more like a passenger than a pilot, and it certainly didn’t feel manoeuvrable underfoot.

agrelon
1st November 2010, 10:13 AM
I also noticed the spinout they mentioned in this review. The wood weighs almost 2kgs less than the Tufskin, so this probably makes it much livelier and exciting to ride. I could still chophop the tufskin version, despite its weight, so jumping the wood version would definitely be possible.