PDA

View Full Version : double chicken straps on HWR

ardenalan
13th November 2010, 06:57 AM
Has anyone had experience putting "double" chicken straps (rear strap slightly offset from center) on an HWR, or even LWR. I am planning to add these to my HWR this winter and wanted to see if anyone else has input on placement.

I have ridden the JP formula and I think those are the right placement off center, but a bit too far aft.

Here's a pic of Antoinne using them on his JP:
jp-australia.com/2011/fileadmin/actionshots/showimage.php?thumb=jp10-formula-aa-05.jpg&res=11280

And here's a top view of the board with the black chicken straps:
jp-australia.com/2011/index.php?id=282

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Arden

pfaffi
14th November 2010, 09:45 PM
never tried but I think very good idea!
Position should be found easily by riding the board without any chicken straps and placing back foot to comfortable position offfset.
I tried middle position in that way and found same position as built.
Remi will soon start the 2012 Formula R&D, I hope he will add this feature.
Bye pfaffi

Remi
15th November 2010, 04:14 AM
Hi Pfaffi & Arden

Yes is on the program and found good position yet

But I didn t recommend to do it for the curent board for 2 reasons :

1) Your board will be not class legal anymore and can t race in Formul Windsurfing

2) It might be not enough reinforcement wher you will put the insert and probably brake your board

All the best

ardenalan
15th November 2010, 06:54 AM
I didn't realize modifications make it illegal, but I suppose that makes sense.

Still, I may add inserts anyways to make the board better for me. I'm not racing at international events...

Also, I found out about this "adapter plate" that can be implemented without modifying the board. Perhaps that would still be legal - no permanent mod to the hull. I think I could fabriacte one of those pretty easy this offseason. (Add the www to the start of the link below - I guess I haven't posted enough yet to add links)

totalwind.net/foro/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36900&view=next

SeanAUS120
15th November 2010, 06:25 PM
My understanding of the current FW class rules is you can do whatever you want to the top of the board, as long as you don't remove the serial number. Here's the rule:

C.5.2 MODIFICATIONS, MAINTENANCE and REPAIR
(a) Alteration of hull shape, major underside re-fairing or deliberate
removal of the finishing coat/s is not permitted unless in the case of
the result of local repairs to unintentional damage. The serial
number as required by D.1.1 shall remain legible.

'Altering hull shape' is pretty open to interpretation. I can't see it as being a problem as you aren't touching the bottom.

I tested double chicken straps on the Gaastra Vapor board quite a bit this year and it's a fairly similar width to the HWR in the tail (compared to the larger boards like the JP and PD, which use double straps). I loved it! I've always thought having the strap further forward than the fin means you don't load the fin correctly in high winds and promotes spin-out (exactly what you DON'T want in strong winds) - however, from a manufacturing/marketing point of view it's more convenient to have the strap using further forward so it requires one less plug and less reinforcement which keeps the weight of the board down, so I can see why all the brands don't make this double-strap as standard.

I built a plate myself using the idea from that forum post ardenalan mentioned and used it a lot at the GP in Brasil the other week. You can see it here: http://www.twitpic.com/372ptm.

You can generate much more leverage on the fin when have the straps further out than the centre of the board which means not only can you survive in strong winds, you can actually go REALLY fast downwind compared to a conventionally placed chicken-strap. I discussed this with a lot of guys in Brasil and a lot of people shared this view, although most guys aren't handy enough with carbon to build a plate.

The other benefit is you can start using the chicken-strap much earlier (in lighter winds) as you can still rail the board easily because you have your feet further out than the original strap was. So it's a win-win. The plate I used hardly weighs anything, however putting plugs in would be better as the straps on the plate sit up 1.5cm from the deck so even with the smallest straps I could find on the market, they are still a bit loose because of the height of the plate.

Remi would be right about the reinforcement area though. I would think if you added the plugs yourself I would be adding some extra layers to that whole deck area to keep them in.

ardenalan
15th November 2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the input Sean. I couldn't agree more about the effectiveness of the double chicken downwind.

I am pretty handy with wet layups, so I think I am going to make an adapter with several holes for initial use to determine where I want the strap. After deciding on a location I will add permanent inserts. I got some advice from Bodner too and he had a good point to make sure to use inserts with two holes to allow slight adjustment to the off-center position.