PDA

View Full Version : Starboard Carve

16th January 2007, 02:47 PM
I am looking at buying a carve 144, I weigh around 200 pds. Is the 144 enough volume for me?

Craig

-Lampi-
16th January 2007, 10:00 PM
That depends on the conditions you are sailing in, the sails you are using and how good you are at windsurfing.

crazychemical
16th January 2007, 11:53 PM
If you want to be able to haul your sail out of the water the 144 will do fine. When i asked the question to a number of surfers they told me, take your weight in kilo's, add 10 for the sail (less actually) and then u take about 20 for extra literage. So anything above 130 should do fine. I added 50 to my weight to be absolutly sure, but now that i'm starting to do waterstarts etc i don't really mind whether i can or can't stand on my board. However, you won't be able to go waving with a 144, perhaps really calm choppy waters but i think flatwater would be the conditions where the C144 comes into propper use. Big sail on it (its range is 6.1 and over if i recall) and u can have your fun with it.
Go surf em m8!

Haiko, aka Crazychemical

crazychemical
16th January 2007, 11:54 PM
If you want to be able to haul your sail out of the water the 144 will do fine. When i asked the question to a number of surfers they told me, take your weight in kilo's, add 10 for the sail (less actually) and then u take about 20 for extra literage. So anything above 130 should do fine. I added 50 to my weight to be absolutly sure, but now that i'm starting to do waterstarts etc i don't really mind whether i can or can't stand on my board. However, you won't be able to go waving with a 144, perhaps really calm choppy waters but i think flatwater would be the conditions where the C144 comes into propper use. Big sail on it (its range is 6.1 and over if i recall) and u can have your fun with it.
Go surf em m8!

Haiko, aka Crazychemical

Per
17th January 2007, 03:37 PM
Hi
I'm +210 lbs (97 kgs) an could easily uphaul a 9.4 sail on my Carve 145. Actually it had plenty of float. It basically depends on your skill level. I can uphaul my S-type 115 with a 7.5 sail if it's not too choppy.

I've seen 200 lbs guys uphaul 100 litre boards. Quite a trick:p