Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Advice for change of board and sail quiver (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10473)

Unregistered 31st December 2010 06:41 PM

Advice for change of board and sail quiver

Hi all

I would like to seek advice for changing my current windsurf setup and hope you guys can help me out in this.

Currently, I am sailing on isonic 111 (2007) with a sail quiver of 7.8m Naish Grand Prix and 5.5m Naish Sprint. I sailed at open sea with wind strength averaging 8-12 knots and hits up to 25 knots when it really honks. The water state varies from flat to choppy depending on wind strength. I weigh about 54 kg and stand at 168cm.

I am thinking of switching to the latest isonic 97 with a sail quiver of option (A) NP 6.7m hell cat and 5.3m Severne Gator or option (B) Severne NCX Pro 7m and stick to my naish 5.5m as I felt overpowered sometime and was overtaken by guys who are larger than me on a smaller setup when i am sailing on isonic 111 and 7.8m at about 13-16 knots. I hope to plane as early as my current setup allows as possible if i made the switch.

Should i opt for option (A) or go for option (B). For the board should i go for isonic 107 or isonic 97?

Hope you guys can help me in this. Thanks.

Farlo 2nd January 2011 04:17 PM

At your weight you don't need much more than 97L/64cm for early planing. The iSonic 107 will be way too large for you in 20ish winds. However you may keep the 7.8 for marginal conditions (8-12 knots) and get a Naish Sprint 6.6 in the middle. It will become your favourite sail. Alternatively go for option (B). At 68 Kg I've been using GP 7.8 and Sprint 6.6 & 5.5 from ~11 to 25+ knots on a board 66cm wide. Perfect match.

Remi 2nd January 2011 04:42 PM

Hi unregistered

With the element you give us the iSonic 97 with your 7.8 ; 7 Ncx Pro and your 5.5. 7m is the perfect size for this board and the Ncx is very close to the ridding style of a pure slalom sail.

The 107 is too big in my opinion for you when the wind will pick up and if you take the Wood/Carbon version in 97 your mini will be probably better than your 111 2007.

Happy new year

All the best

Unregistered 3rd January 2011 08:37 PM

Hi Farlo and Remi

Thanks for the reply. For the board, i guess i will go for isonic 97. As for my quiver, I am thinking of keeping two sails as there are limited storage place at my sailing club. So if I am to discard my 7.8m, should i just go for Option (A) NP Hellcat 6.7m and NP Hellcat 5.2m ;
Option (B) Severne NCX Pro 7 m and use my current Naish Sprint 5.5m;
Option (C) Severne NCX Pro 6.5m and use my current Naish Sprint 5.5m / or buy Gator 5.3m.

My concern about option A is that it is using exceptionally short mast length for comparable sail size and if i were to switch out of NP and use other sail brand, I might have to purchase new mast in future. And is it true that for NP no cam sail like hellcat, it's performance will not be compromised if one use non-NP mast?

Many thanks for reading.

Farlo 3rd January 2011 10:11 PM

Option (B) is probably the best if you don't keep the Grand Prix. With option (C) you may loose too much in marginal winds. I don't know NCX but 1.5 mē gap makes sense for a two sails quiver. Naish Sprint 5.5 is already quite small, even for your weight. IS 97 may be too wide / not ideal for smaller sails.

BelSkorpio 4th January 2011 12:01 AM

Hi unregistered,

May I ask why you want to use a NP Hellcat on an Isonic ?

I'm a big fan of NP, but not of the Hellcat :(

If you don't want to go for the expensive NP slalom/racing sails, you still have the NP Heliums as a good alternative. These sails are MUCH better and faster than the Hellcat.

Are you afraid of the cambers regarding jibing ?
Or is it because you don't have the correct NP mast ?

I can tell you that there are a lot of good and cheaper alternatives for the expensive X6 & X9 NP masts.

Unregistered 4th January 2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farlo (Post 45835)
Option (B) is probably the best if you don't keep the Grand Prix. With option (C) you may loose too much in marginal winds. I don't know NCX but 1.5 mē gap makes sense for a two sails quiver. Naish Sprint 5.5 is already quite small, even for your weight. IS 97 may be too wide / not ideal for smaller sails.

Hi Farlo

Thanks for the reply. What is the recommended min sail size for isonic 97? I don't see it on the website? And what size fin do u recommend if i opt for option b since the new isonic doesnt come with fin.

Unregistered 4th January 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelSkorpio (Post 45837)
Hi unregistered,

May I ask why you want to use a NP Hellcat on an Isonic ?

I'm a big fan of NP, but not of the Hellcat :(

If you don't want to go for the expensive NP slalom/racing sails, you still have the NP Heliums as a good alternative. These sails are MUCH better and faster than the Hellcat.

Are you afraid of the cambers regarding jibing ?
Or is it because you don't have the correct NP mast ?

I can tell you that there are a lot of good and cheaper alternatives for the expensive X6 & X9 NP masts.

Hi belskorpio

I tot of using no cam cause it easier to water-start with, gybe and required less maintainence compared to cambered sail. I have a cambered 7.8 2010 np grand prix and felt that it was very stable sail and easy to handle during planning but it is difficult to watertart with. Yup i also do not have the correct np mast and is using the naish 75% carbon mast. By the way, i also did consider 6.7m 2010 overdrive but give it a miss becos it is cambered

Farlo 4th January 2011 04:26 PM

Just scroll the specs chart at the bottom. Smallest sail for IS97 is 5.5 indeed. I would use a 30/32cm fin as recommended. Add a 35/37 cm if you go for the NCX 7mē. You can check on http://www.select-hydrofoils.com/en/...ed-slalom-race for more details. Of course you won't get the very best from iSonic's with freeride sails but you probably know that already. Alternatively you may consider the Futura's 93/101 or the Fanatic Ray 100 which would suit no-cam sails better.

Unregistered 4th January 2011 05:46 PM

Hi Farlo

Thanks. I was using my android smartphone to surf and thats why i can't see the specs. By the way, do you think the 6.7m Overdrive is comparable to the NCX pro 7m?