Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Advice on Board/Sails (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055)

jamespr43 25th January 2007 03:36 AM

Advice on Board/Sails

Hi Roger,

I need a little advice to buy a new board and sail. Im 192 pounds, with 6'0 height. At the beach Im sailing we have around 10-18 knots (normally thats it, but it could get a little higher). Im looking for a board that can "plans on" early with that amount of wind, and the fastest one when the wind gets higher.

I was looking at the carve 133, probably with a NP V8 8.5 sail, It's that a good option ??? My friends here are using Formulas 186 and 175 (2002 boards) ... I try a GO-155 with a NS Natural 7.0, and in high wind it plans ok, but with low wind it's very slow.

Do you think the Carve 133 will be a good option for my conditions here with my 192 pounds ??? Any other suggestion ???

How do you compare a NP V8 with a SW-Retro sail ???

Thanks

crazychemical 26th January 2007 04:02 AM

RE: Advice on Board/Sails

i use a Go139 which is a bit like the carve 133 and i can tell u that this board plans excellently once u get it doing (as long as u don't kick the tail) and with the sail you suggest the Carve 133 should be a great board for you. It will be a bit less stable then the Go 155 but you soon get used to it and you'll be planning in no time.
Can't give you any advice on comparing sails but to check reviews and websites.

hope it helps

jamespr43 26th January 2007 04:39 AM

Thanks for your advice Crazychemical

Cheers

Roger 26th January 2007 08:53 PM

Hi Jamespr43,
I&#39;m not sure how well the Carve 133 will do in < 12 knots, but for 12-18, with a 7.5 m2 rig, it should be very good.
The GO 155 with the 7.0 didn&#39;t perform real well in light winds, probably due to having such a small sail.
Sme board, with an 8.5 m2 would have been alot better I think.
The GO 139 is still a pretty good option, as Crazychemical suggests, but I&#39;ll be he is using larger rigs or weighs a bit less than your 192 Lbs. (87 Kg.)
So, the Carve 133 is still a good choice, but you will need a larger rig to take advantage of the early planing. Same with the GO boards, 7.0 is simply not large enough for a guy your weight.
Other wider boards would plane earlier, but again they need larger rigs to do so.
Hope this helps,

crazychemical 27th January 2007 02:58 AM

i use 7.6 m?? and weigh almost 90 kg :d but i only have good planning whne i hit 4.5 bft or more ... it&#39;s why i&#39;m looking for larger rigs but i&#39;m a cheapscape :p anyway, My advice stays the same, get the carve, great boards, want to buy one myself (the 111) and start investing in big sails like Roger suggests and just have a blast really!

surf em m8