Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why is my futura 101 flying?? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11027)

dippa 26th January 2011 06:48 AM

Why is my futura 101 flying??

When I use my 101 in 20-25knt, with a 6.4 tushy lightning, I find it very difficult to keep it on the water.
The nose is always high, and its very skitty.
Is this a mast base position problem?
Is it a stance problem?
Is it a fin problem? (I use a 36cm vector that Jesper Orth used)
I'm 5'8" and weigh 80kg.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Roger 26th January 2011 07:23 AM

Hi dippa,
Probably some combination of all of the above issues.
Move the mast base forward a little to drop the nose.
Try different stances.
Be sure you are leaning away from the pull of the sail, not back toward
the rear of the board.
36 cm in 20-25 knots on a 101 liter board sounds far to big to me.
28-32 cm and a bit curvy (not a slalom race fin) would probably help alot.
Hope this helps,
Roger

dave 26th January 2011 11:49 AM

also try dropping your boom height. In strong wind a high boom can also make the nose lift a bit to much.

Erik Loots 26th January 2011 08:28 PM

I don't know the Tushingham Lightning at all. But if I guess the sail has too much lift for you when the wind increases. Mastbase, stance, fin is rather hard to say what is right or wrong on a forum, this could be already quite good (I suppose your trim is good below 20kn??).

Therefor I suggest the easiest solution (with high% of succes) would be adjustable harnasslines, just make the lines longer if the nose is too high when the wind increases. Lowering boom can help, but also could have the opposite effect (nose even higher), this mainly depends how much you drive your gear through your harnass. Check out how it works for you.

COACHG 26th January 2011 09:06 PM

I'm with Roger on this one. I weigh 80 Kg and would be on a much smaller fin then 36 cm in 20-25 knts. For that matter, I would also be on a smaller board and sail. Depending on water state 4.5-5.0 with 85 liter wave board in rough water or 5.0-5.5 with 93 liter Futura in flat water. In any case the biggest fin I would be using is 30 cm.

Coachg

dippa 27th January 2011 01:47 PM

thanks for the advice, I think I will start with a smaller fin.

dave 29th January 2011 06:58 PM

as I posted before, I would try a lower boom height first. I use new tushy t4's and lightnings and for some reason I can not put my finger on, I seem to need to have the boom lower than previous models,
(or other sails I have owned for that matter) for exactly the same reason. lowering the boom for me has stopped the nose off the board riding to high, oint higher up wind, feel more in control of the wind and the sails feel easier to handle.
ps.. and this works for me no matter if I am using large or small fins in the board.

Ken 29th January 2011 10:59 PM

Dippa,

The smaller fin will no doubt increase control. As Roger also said, moving the mast foot forward may solve your problem. I assume you have tried this since you are looking for a smaller fin.

As far as boom height goes, there is some conflict with the above posts. As Erik suggests, it depends on how you use your harness.

I sail Formula quite a bit and hanging in the harness (weight on the mast foot) with a high boom is essential to keep the board flat and under control. At speed on a reach or upwind, if you back off the harness pressure and sheet out, one can literally take off. I use the same approach on my smaller boards - boom about neck high and weight in the harness. If I move the boom too low, I occasionally catch my harness line in the harness hook while gybing. Not a good thing.

Don't forget, it you move the mast foot up only a few cm's, you should also raise your boom a little too. If you feel "scrunched up" while in the straps, the boom is too low.

dippa 31st January 2011 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 46781)
as I posted before, I would try a lower boom height first. I use new tushy t4's and lightnings and for some reason I can not put my finger on, I seem to need to have the boom lower than previous models,
(or other sails I have owned for that matter) for exactly the same reason. lowering the boom for me has stopped the nose off the board riding to high, oint higher up wind, feel more in control of the wind and the sails feel easier to handle.
ps.. and this works for me no matter if I am using large or small fins in the board.

Yeah, you are right Dave, the new Tushy lightning seems to be a very difficult sail to to trim right. All my problems started when I bought this sail a few weeks ago, and I just cant get it set comfortably, I've moved my harness lines, bought a new boom and 100 perc. carbon mast, but it still wont rig right.
I think I will go back to Severnes!

Lessacher 10th February 2011 01:01 AM

I work the Rake 30°fins. 28cm , is diagonal 35cm long. Doubleasymm.fin. 100% carbon.Worked in
Germany. No spin out. Please look: www.designlessacher.eu
Wolfgang