Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Evo to partner an Evo 74 ? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130)

Surfmeister 3rd February 2007 04:08 AM

What Evo to partner an Evo 74 ?

Hi there!
I currently have an Evo 74 (2006) and use it with a fully powered 5.3 to 4.2 m2. I would like to complement it with a larger Evo for 5.3-6.0 sailing. Which of the Evo's would you recommend? The Evo 83 (2006), 80 or 90?. I weigh 84 kg and will soon also have a freestylewave board at 104 liters (Fanatic FW104). The board will primarily be used in x-on, 1-2m waves.
Thanx! :)

SIN909 3rd February 2007 02:37 PM

RE: What Evo to partner an Evo 74 ?

Im not the team but this is what I can share about my 2004 evo 92. Im 80kg and use it with a 6.1 wave sail and 24cm fin. This combo allows me to go wave sailing when no one is out because of the light winds. If your goal is to wave sail or get planing in really light winds a 90 evo might be the ticket, especially given your weight. You will lose some looseness with a big set up, but I think it's worth it for what you get. You'll be able to catch waves that you normally can't on a smaller board and the width of the tail pops you over heavy whitewater comfortably. And if you're on this gear it's likely there won't be many others out so no crowds. If other wave sailors are out, you could be the last guy planing.

Happy 3rd February 2007 02:40 PM

Last year I had the Evo 74 (2006) and the Evo 80 (2005) accompanied by a 105 liter waveboard. This worked for me very well. I weighed 84 kg. at the time and sail on the Dutch North Sea. Depending on how gusty the wind was I would use either the 74 or 80 for 5.3 (the more consistent the wind I would use the 74) With these two boards I covered 3.7 - 5.8 (6.0 would have been possible without a doubt). I had some very nice sessions in about 16 knots wind, schlogging out (the E80 is very good at that) and picking up waves. I used a slightly bigger fin for this (MFC Goya On shore 22,9 cm). Having sailed the E83 I would say this board is even better than my E80.

Ola_H 3rd February 2007 02:53 PM

Three good boards there. I'll get Scotty to comment on this. He's your weight.

shangu 4th February 2007 04:14 AM

got E83 and E74 (now E75 xtv )
E83 is big, big enough for sailing 6m but i sail 5.8 to 5.3.
the scoop is flat and rocker is low making the board efficient in low gusty wind, making this board a good challenger when sailing underpowered 5.3.Just hollow 2m waves become hard to deal with E83, preferring 1m/1.5 waves.
I think the new XTV80 is more rockered and lifted, so it should be slightly a more radical beast than E83.
I found E92 is really a specific board for low 12knots wave environment, E83 can catch waves with 14knts generating speed.
hope it help
B)

scott mckercher 5th February 2007 05:10 AM

Hi there
Personally, for the 5.3 to 5.7 range I go for the 80 litre board, but never sail with anything bigger than a 5.7.
I would go the 92 when there is absoltely bugger all wind to be able to go and get waves when it woukld otherwise be imppossile. But It's really a board for bigger weights than ours i reckon.
The 80 is fine in most putting around instances for me to be able to grovel out and get waves.
If you're getting the 104 litre board as well, i reckon i''d go fo the 80.
Ride on
Regards
Scott

Ola_H 5th February 2007 12:22 PM

Surfmeister, I see you're in Gothenburg. We could probably arrange it so you could have a go at my E80 before deciding. With the 104 in the quiver, the 80 indeed seems like the logical choice. It will be a super allround board for you.

As for 80 vs 83, the 83 does have a flatter rocker and actually a totally different bottom layout overall. I would say it handles sails around 6.0 a bit better than the 80. The 80 takes some more punch to get going with these big sails, but on the other hand, once powered up, the 80 rides crisper. The thing that will make the 80 outstanding is that it handles sail power better. Where you sail (Swedish west coast, I assume) this will make a difference since you often have to sail well powered up go get enough drive for riding the mushy waves. For underpowered 6.0 mushy x-on you can tune the 80 with a bigger fin anyway.

Surfmeister 10th February 2007 03:19 AM

Does the E80 handle a 5.9m2 comfortably at my weight? Since the board will be used with a 5.3m2 and 5.9m2, l am a bit afraid to go too small.

Ola_H 10th February 2007 04:07 PM

Tough to say how you will percieve 5.9 on the E80. I use it up to 6.3, but sailor weight is part of the equation. I think that if you're reasonably powered up with the 5.9, it will be OK, but for more semi-planing type (x-on) riding, it will not be that good. But on the other hand, for powered up 5.3 sailing the E80 will much more natural than the 90, so its definitely a tough choice.

Considering the other boards you have, the 80 seems like the best choice. It will give you a healthy overlap with the 74 in the critical 4.7-5.3 spectrum so you'll be able to choose boards depending on conditions in this range (not only sail size). In lighter conditions, the E80 will still be super effective on a wave even in light winds, the better the wave the better it works. If there are not much waves and the wind is light onshore so its more B&J riding, you can take your 104. If you're gonna use the board in Sweden, its very, very seldom reasonable waves to ride when in underpowered 5.9 conditions. But if you want the board to excel in superlight wave days in Denmark for example, you might start to look harder on the 90 again.

But again, try to get a test ride on the 80 and see how you feel about it. Email me at ola.helenius@ncm.gu.se and we can arrange it (unfortunately I don't have a 90).