Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ISonic fine tuning (For Ian and Kevin) (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145)

CarlosD 6th February 2007 01:37 AM

ISonic fine tuning (For Ian and Kevin)

Hi Kevin and Ian ,

Next week I will receive my long awaited new slalom boards (ISonic 87 and 111)

I would like to know (from your point of view) if both boards cover the whole 10/40 knots range for my weight and height with reasonable overlapping , and the recommended mastfoot and straps positions in order to achieve maximum performance.
Also I would like to know about optimal fin sizes and brand for my different sails-boards conmbinations.
I sail in both flat and choppy conditions.

Weight 89 kg (excellent pumping and speedsurfing skills)
Height 1,84m

Sails: Code Red 7.7
Code Red 6.7
NP RS6 5.4

Next sail Code red 9.0

Carlos Duperron
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Phill104 6th February 2007 06:16 PM

RE: ISonic fine tuning (For Ian and Kevin)

Hi CarlosD,

I have the same pair of boards as you (ish, I have the 115, not the new 111) and hopefully this will be great. The 115 works really well with my 8.5 Tush Lightning and even better with the 7.8 Lightning. I have also used it to good effect with a 6.5 but now I have an 87 I would switch to that if it's good 6.5 weather.

At the light end the 115 does take a bit of effort to get going but onece up will stay there easilly. I have used it in nuking winds (before the 87 arrived) and it coped well on the flat but the chop was a problem.

Unfortunately, there has been no wind here since the 87 arrived but the forecast looks good for the coming weekend, bloody cold though.

Take a look at this thread Ian wrote in response to my similar questions.

http://www.star-board.com/forum/view...hread_id=22152

CarlosD 6th February 2007 08:15 PM

Hi Phill.

Thaks for the link
I can see your weight is similar to mine, so we should arrive to similar conclusions, I hope next weekend (our forecast looks good too) we will be able to play with the new toys and then we can share our experiences.

Best regards

Carlos

Ian Fox 7th February 2007 04:48 PM

Hi Carlos,

To add to the comments at the link shown by Phill above, in your weight/sails/conditions the iS111 will be marginal up until around 12 kts (in reality it depends on the quality of the wind and the flatness of water, plus rider skill/energy to get the very bottom of the planing threshold, and with 7.7 you are "OK" but would benefit from more sail size to really get the best chance at a real 10 kts.

Top end, yes, but again it will be marginal and mostly determined by the solidness of the 40 kts, and the water state (flat offshore or rough onshore both in 40kts are totally different situations. In general I would suggest the iS87 is really a bit much board for true 40 kts in anything except very flat speed trial conditions, and even then because actual board speeds will be so high, a smalle rboard would mostly be ideal. Think about the practical top end range being mor elike 30-35 true knots.

Either way, you'll have fun. Let us know how it goes !
You too, Phill !

Cheers ~ Ian

CarlosD 8th February 2007 11:01 AM

Hi Ian,

Thanks a lot for your comments,
Of course I assume that the real range for the IS87/111 quiver is from 12 to 30/35 knots in order to race with the best possibilities with my 89 kg. and my actual sails set
The more specific questions shoud be:

1-May I expect to begin planning at 10 knots with the new Code red 9.0 that I??m just ordering ? (assuming a good pumping ability)

2-Is there enough board overlapping In the middle of the range (18-25 knots ) ?

3- A 4.6 slalom sail would help to sail safely (I??m not talking about reaching ideal top speed, just surviving) on the 40 knots wind range?

As soon as I can sail the boards I will tell you the first impressions (I hope next week):D

Best regards

Carlos

Ian Fox 8th February 2007 12:46 PM

Hi Carlos,

Q1 = May I expect to begin planning at 10 knots with the new Code red 9.0 that I'm just ordering ? (assuming a good pumping ability)A1 = Yes, the extra sail size (over) your existing 7.7m will force the most practical early planing out of the iS111.

Q2= Is there enough board overlapping In the middle of the range (18-25 knots ) ?
A2 = Just enough to be practical, but not too much extra ! You will find 6.7m is still good on iS111, but really the CR 7.7m has a bit too much power for general sailing on iS87.

Q3 = A 4.6 slalom sail would help to sail safely (I'm not talking about reaching ideal top speed, just surviving) on the 40 knots wind range?
A3 = Yes, for survival it will help for sure - and if the water is flat you will reach some crazy fast speeds in that combo, even though 4.6m is smaller than normal for that board/89kg combo. This one again depends on how "solid" the wind is at 40kts - if it's gusty offshore 40kts, (so 25-30 gusting 40) then likely the 5.6m is actually a more stable (if overpowered) power, if it's really solid 40 - then 4.6m+smaller fin (26-28cm) ..and hang on !!:o

Cheers ~ Ian

Phill104 9th February 2007 05:08 PM

Given the current weather here in the UK it may be some time before I get to try the 87:(

http://www.windsurf.me.uk/cpg133/alb...cs/snowman.jpg

mark h 9th February 2007 10:20 PM

Hey Phill
I dont mean to teach my granny to suck eggs, but I think the boom might be to high for Mr Snowman, especially when considering that he appears to have any very short arms:D

Cheers

Phill104 9th February 2007 10:57 PM

:)

Mr Snowman has his boom quite low compared to me;)

Ian Fox 10th February 2007 06:20 AM

And that "87" has also put on a bit of weight over winter.. ;)