Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2009 SUPer 12'6 mast insert/track (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11567)

jacoo 20th March 2011 12:19 PM

2009 SUPer 12'6 mast insert/track

Hi, I can see the 2 mast insert bolts on my SUPer. I have read on another forum that there is a proper mast track underneath the foam pad, is this true? Should I remove the foam to expose the mast track?
thanks,
Jaco

Roger 21st March 2011 11:15 AM

Hi Jacoo,
Yes, there is a mast track with 2 or 3 brass nuts buried under the EVA of your deck.
I checked with Tiesda You (the designer @ Starboard) and he says they put in a
mast track just like on a sailboard, then put in some brass T-Nuts ( 2 or 3) with EVA
plugs seperating the T-Nuts.
So, if you carefully trim the EVA to the width of the track, and extra carefully trim the
access (for the nuts) at the back of the track, you will have a normal sailboard style
mast slot.
Sorry if my previous message (which someone seems to have deleted) was confusing.
This info came direct from Tiesda this evening.!
Hope this helps,
Roger

nonopr 22nd March 2011 09:52 AM

I can confirm that also.

jacoo 24th March 2011 06:39 AM

thank you, Roger.
I removed the EVA plugs and now have access to the mast track. (I dont think it was neccessary to expose the mast track, but it makes me feel more secure now that I can see that the T-Nuts is in a normal mast track)
Jaco O

Andy-Masss 15th August 2011 12:19 AM

Hi,
I kinda/sorta had the same question about my 2010 12' 6" SUP'er.
I can SEE through the two rear inserts into something white, looks like EPS foam.
The front one ?... I have been ASSUMING that is the vent plug, but with no manual I am not so sure.

Anyway, I am nervous of hacking up the EVA pad in case I do it at the wrong spot.
Do I really NEED to remove this, or can I just bolt directly down to those inserts ?
BTW, should I buy a 2 bolt base ?

Any chance of some pics of this, just so I get a better idea of what I would be cutting towards ?

Roger 15th August 2011 01:08 AM

Hi Andy-Masss,
You do not need a 2 bolt base, that's for sure.
2 bolt bases are normally used for wave sailing in BIG waves where the board and
rig get "tumbled" alot.
If you are only sailing in small waves, or in flat cohppy water there is no reason to use a
2 bolt base.
You can simply screw a single bolt (on center if you can find one) mast base into the
holes provided.
I'm not sure that mast position is nearly so important on an SUP unless you are somehow
racing it against other sail powered SUP's.
On a slalom board..... yes, it's important... wave boards also, as well as freeride boards.
Most longboards have an adjustable track and it makes a big difference in longboard races.
I would suggest you NOT cut out the EVA deck until you have sailed the SUP quite a bit
and made your own determination that the provided inserts are not in the right places for
the way you sail your SUP.
Roger

Andy-Masss 15th August 2011 03:04 AM

Well, I crash a lot, but that is more a function of my beginner status than size of waves (-:

I had read somewhere else that IF a mast crashes on the front tip of the board, even with a deviater or other deflecting device, it can cause a single bolt base to pull out - and that was some/most of the rationale for using 2 bolt bases.

OK, I'm on sheltered lakes with very light winds and definitely not getting upside down in mid air.

I would still like to get a peek at a board that has been opened up to reveal the mast track, even just some pics.

Roger 15th August 2011 11:21 AM

Hi Andy-Masss,
I have seen the Deviator pull the entire mast box out of boards with both singel and 2 bolt mast bases.
The Deviator (IMHO) is a pretty dangerous device.
15' of mast + the wieght of the sail + the weight of the boom is a VERY long lever arm when
if comes crashing down on something solid (the roller on the top of the Deviator) that has a
3" to 4" lever arm.
Think about if you ever got a hand or toe caught between the mast and that roller?
Putting a multi density foam pad on the nose, and a boom bra on the front of the boom
seems a whole lot safer for both the board and the sailor to me.
Roger
P.S. I do not have such a photo.
Perhaps Jacoo has one he could send us!

Andy-Masss 15th August 2011 05:03 PM

Hi Roger,
Yes, I agree with you on the mechanics of having a HARD "protective" device on the board nose.
Sorry to have taken this thread off topic, I'll consider (& probably GET) the single bolt base, some sort of nose guard and a boom bumper, though I won't call it a "Bra".

Roger 15th August 2011 07:17 PM

Andy-Masss,
I agree, boom nose protector sounds better, but "bra" is what I have always heard them called! :-)
R