Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Kevin`s Corner (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S-Type Fins (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1249)

Sleepy 20th February 2007 07:31 PM

S-Type Fins

Hi Kev,

Did a quick search but couldn't find the answers posted - so point me in the right direction if it's been covered.

I notice the 2007 ST 126 comes with an upgraded 400mm fin this year, bigger than the 06 version.

I have just brought a 2006 ST 126 which came with a drake freeride flow 390 & a select supercross 360.

What fin size/type should i get that will get me up & going quickest & allow good, fast gybes with my 7.8 xtype?
and any further comments on the best of the fins to use with 6.4? & 5.4?

I'm 93kgs, sail on the sea, flatish water (especially with the 7.8!)

Many Thanks,

Kevin Pritchard 7th March 2007 08:05 AM

RE: S-Type Fins

I have used the Tectonics Tomohawk freeride fin. This fin works amazing! Get them in 36.

Kevin

AlexWind 26th March 2007 01:52 AM

Hi Kevin, I resume this thread since my question is in topic.
I've just got a 2006 ST 93 and I'll use it with 5.0 and 6.0 sails.
I'm 71 kgs, which wuol be my fins choice?
What about the 28 cm drake default fin? Is it too small for the 6.0 sail?

Last quest, which is the "biggest sail" limit for the 93ST?
Thanks in advance, bye

Kevin Pritchard 27th March 2007 02:50 AM

Alex,

I would try and get the Tectonics fin. This is the best fin that I have found for this board. I am actually going to try out some MFC freeride fins as well. I used th 28 cm in the St 93 and was an amazing fin.

The biggest sail that I used with the 93 was 5.6 but i am sure it will work with the 6.0.

Let me know what you think of the board when you sail it!!!

slambo 5th April 2007 08:57 PM

B) Aloha Kevin, I am new on this forum so sorry if I am repeating someone else. I just picked up a pristine '06 ST 93 wood and the fellow gave me a 32 Tect. spitfire to go w/ the stock 28 drake. I haven't tried it yet but I do weigh ~200lbs. Do you think I may need even a bigger fin if I run a 6.0 -6.3 sail? The board looks sweet. Thanks for your comments and advise.

Slams

Kevin Pritchard 6th April 2007 04:09 AM

You could go a bit bigger. That 32 Tect is a great fin and might work just fine. I would try it out and see how it goes. If it is too much spin out then go for a bigger one. Otherwise if it is fun and fast stick with it. I used the 32 on my 115 up to 7.5.

KP

slambo 6th April 2007 10:40 PM

:D Aloha Kevin, I really appreciate your quick response. BTW, I met Matt in Kanaha a couple of years ago and you were there doing a starboard shoot. Made me feel bad cause Matt launched just before me and he blasted off & looped right in front of me, it was awesome. You and the kids were doing some amazing moves. Too cool!!!
Well, the guy who sold me the board actually included 2 other spitfires 34 & 36 for me to try and offered a great deal for them. Too cheap to pass up. The 34 may be better for my fat ass.

Mahalo and warm winds,
Slams

Chusss 7th April 2007 01:09 AM

Hi Kevin,
I weight 65 Kgs. and windsurf into choppy waters with a ST115 (2005) and a 6.7 saber. Since sometimes i find it hard for me to start planning i am thinking about buying a 7.8 North X-Type and to complement my Drake 32 freeride fin with a 40 Tarifa Fin Company freeride fin.
Do you think i'm pushing my ST115 a little bit to the limit? will that work with my weight?
Thanx in advance.
Chusss

Kevin Pritchard 8th April 2007 03:04 AM

Chuss,

I used my Stype with my Maui Sails Switch 7.5, possibly my fastest combination with a 32 Techtonics. I dont think that you are pushing it too much because you are pretty light and that board should have pleanty of volume! If you could find a techtonics freeride fin I am sure it will provide you better plaining in lighter winds. Check out the Maui Sails, If you try them I am sure you will like them, especially the Switch for the Stype is something special.

KP

AlexWind 12th April 2007 02:42 PM

I've tryed the board with a 6.0 Naish Edge and powered conditions!
Despite my doubts, the 28 fin worked great and I have two really nice windsurfing days!
That's me chasing an S-Type 115 ;)

http://www.cdsliguria.it/misc/p042007.jpg

Thanks again for the advice!