Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Starboard Go 151 - beginner (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12587)

petevdz 11th July 2011 12:28 AM

Starboard Go 151 - beginner

Hi.

I am looking at buying a board and rig in the next couple of days and could do with some advice. Here's some info that could help in answering my questions:

Weight: 85kg
Fitness: Good
Water: Inland lake
Wind: 8 - 20 knots
Experience: Tried once on an old F2 with daggerboard and managed to sail, turn, go upwind etc. Used to kitesurf.
Board I'm looking at: Starboard Go 151 2011 model
Other users: Hope that my kids will be able to learn on it.

Questions:

Is this the right board for me?
Should I go with more volume?
Will my kids (7 years) be able to learn on it?
Will I be able to uphaul?
Will the centre fin enable me to go upwind in light wind?
What size sails do I need for the wind range (for myself, not my kids)?
Will one mast fit all these sails?
Will one boom fit all these sails?

Lots of questions, but I've done a lot of research and think that this is a better board for me than a Rio M as it will allow me to progress further. I just hope that I will be able to sail upwind in light wind using the centreboard.

Thanks!

Peter

Roger 11th July 2011 04:05 AM

Hi Peter,
It would be better if you had a little more experience, and I really think the Rio M might be better for your conditions on fresh water, but the Go 151 is a very close 2nd choice in my opinion.
Yes, the center fin will enable you to go upwind in very light winds, but as soon as you are in enough wind to plane, you will have to take the center fin out and figure out how to stay upwind on the rear fin only.
You will have to learn to "rail" the GO 151 without the centerfin if you want to progress, but you could learn the same thing on the Rio M.
On the Rio M you have a retractable centerboard so you can ease into the transition from longboard to short board technique a bit more smoothly.
Sail size for 85 KG (187 lbs.) on the Go 151 for a virtual beginner?
I'd suggest getting a 6.0-6.5 m2 as your small sail, and a 7.5 a little later in your learning curve.
Yes, with good technique you will be able to uphaul te GO 151 at your weight.
The volume is marginal for a person with bare beginner skills.
Your kids will be able to use the GO 151 quite nicely, but you will need to purchase a seperate kids rig for them. I would not go below 2.5 m2 as with the fixed centerboard on the GO 151, they may not get any upwind drive with rigs < 2.5 m2.
If you choose carefully you should be able to find 6.0-7.5 sails that will rig on the same 460 cm IMCS
24-26 mast and a good adjustable freeride or slalom size boom.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Perry 12th July 2011 02:55 AM

Peter,

I have the go 151 for two months, my wife and kids (8y,6y,5y) use it with low winds with a 2,5m rig indeed with less square meters is will drift and delivers no power to go straight even with the large fin in the middle.

I use a 9.0m and 7.5m SCS freerace sail on it, manage to gain a speed of 49km with 5Bft wind. I understood it can go faster, have to try it. I am no looking for a Ultrasonic 147 for low winds and a RRD Firerace 122 for more winds starting from 5 Bft.

Its is a good start for the whole family and dad can enjoy also as a freerider.

Regards,

Perry

petevdz 12th July 2011 02:41 PM

Hi Roger! Thanks for your help!

With a nights rest and a bit more info I also started to move my thinking to a Rio M, and now you've settled it! Thinking of a Hellcat 8.2 to go with it as well as possibly a slightly smaller sail.

Thanks again!
Peter

Ken 12th July 2011 09:37 PM

Pete,

I think Roger will confirm, but an 8.2 is a LARGE sail for someone at your skill level and weight. Something around a 6 meter will be best for you to learn, but you could probably manage with a 6.5 or 7.0, but it will be a little more challenging.

Most adult beginners start with a 5.0 to 6.0 sail and after they become pretty proficient at tacking, light wind gybing, daggerboard use, plus upwind & downwind work, they will want to move into planing (including harness use & footstraps) and more speed. This either takes 20+ knots of wind (not a good idea) or a larger sail. A 7.5 is in the range of a second sail. A third sail may depend on where you live and the typical conditions, plus - your family needs. Since you have 7 year old, a 5.0 will be BIG to learn on, so there are a lot of options as you build your quiver. A 4.0 for your 7 year old or an 8.5 for you and 12 knot winds to plane?

Now it's Roger's turn to offer a few suggestions.

Roger 12th July 2011 09:39 PM

Hi Peter,
The Rio M will suprise you when you get things sorted and want to go planing.
It's a much better "super size" shortboard (with the centerboard tucked away inside) than
most folks give ti credit for.
The 8.2 Hellcat will be good when you've developed your skills, but right at first, even with a 100% carbon
mast, it will be alot to uphaul (which you will be doing quite a bit of I'd guess.
Stick with something in the 6.5 m2 range on a lightweight 100% 460 mast and you will be able to sail significantly longer in your initial sessions.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. I didn't see Ken's posting.
I agree with his analysis EXCEPT the 4.0-5.0 regular rig for your 7 year old.
Get a 2.5 or 3.3 Sailworks Retro Ripper rig for your little ones.
These are very light weight sails/rigs with plenty of power.
Nothing will discourage or turn your kids off to windsurfing faster than a rig that is too big
and heavy.
When they are teenagers and have grown, THEN maybe a 4.5-5.5 m2 regualr free ride rig.

surfnewby69 19th July 2011 05:03 PM

Hello, I have more or less the same question as everybody else here... WHAT BOARD??
I learned to windsurf only in the last few (2) weeks (on holiday) but it really is love on first sight!!!!!! (apart from the 12 open blisters on my hands and lots of other strange things happening on them too).
I am 42 years old, female, 1.80 meter tall (5.9ft ??) 71kg, lots of sailing experience as a kid so wind is not a problem for me, I learned first on both a very old longboard and also a very stable wide but shorter board, both with centerboard. In the last days I went a smaller board (but not a sinker and still with centerboard, I have no idea about the liters...) and with 5.7m sail. This was allright with not too big waves, wind around 15 knots with strong gusts. With big waves I would still fall quite often and regret the larger&wider board. I started to plane (WOOOOOOWW), I am quite able to pull the board into planing but not always to keep it for long. (often loosing it when messing with the centerboard while pulling it up). Have not yet tried straps & harness because they were not available but according to the teacher I should have. I don't know if this is relevant info but when I pull up the centerboard and try a power-jibe i now succeed in making a very nice sharp turn pushing the board with my feet, feels like skiing, before turning the sail.
It would be great if my kids (7 & 9 years) could also learn on the board, they already go a bit but only light wind and smaller gear of course.
We would mostly be going on the Garda lake (we are italian) or on the adriatic sea in Croatia, with medium strong winds and some but not very big waves.
Would the GO board be a good choice? What volume do you think I should look at? I would be very grateful for your advise!
Thanks a lot in advance!
Henriette

Roger 19th July 2011 08:36 PM

Hi surfnewby69,
OK at 71 Kg (156 lbs) you do not need a whole lot of volume.
The Go 151 is more than adequate volume.
Yes, the GO 151 would be a good board to start out on, but you could go a bit smaller and get one of the Carve boards or a Futura in the 120-140 liter range if you are sure you no longer need the centerboard or a center fin.
As far as having problems with the centerboard on your last sessions, perhaps it would be better to keep the centerboard up all the time and see how much downwind you get pushed.
As soon as you are planing, you can rail the board slightly and come back upwind quite nicely.
Save the centerboard for if you get seriously downwinded and need to sail backupwind more slowly.
If it feels like skiing when you are going into a jibe, that is good, but you need to learn to move your
back foot across the board to nearer the lee side rail and "bank" the board in a manner similar to a snowboard or "edging" you skis.
Since you are a lady, I would suggest spending a bit more money on a high carbon content very lightweight mast. The mast is the single heaviest part of a sailboard rig and if you take care of it , it
will serve you for many, many years and all those years you will appreciate the light weight.
Hope this helps,
Roger

surfnewby69 20th July 2011 04:37 AM

thanks!

Hi Roger, thank you!!
Now I start looking further into the carve & futura ranges. You still think my kids (9 years / 38 kg & 7 years, 30kg) would be able to learn on these boards too? -with smaller gear of course.

Thanks again, Henriette

Roger 20th July 2011 06:29 AM

Hello Henriette,
No, these boards would not be good (right at first anyway) for your kids to learn on.
Why? No centerboard!
For that you would need the GO 151 with the center fin option.
Could be very good for you as well, but with the center fin (vs a retractable centerboard) you cannot
simply step on the pedal and retract the center fin. You would need to remove the screws and turn the board over to work the center fin out of the Tuttle fin box in the middle of the board.
It had seemed like you might be "on your way" to having the skills to sail a shortboard without any center fin or centerboard.
If you want a great board, with a retractable centerboard, at your weight I would suggest the Rio S (Small).
It has great performance as a BIG shortboard with the centerboard retracted, but the centerboard is there if you need it and for teaching your kids with small rigs.
There are pros and cons to every board, so you need to select the board that will do the most in your conditions with your skills, but avoid getting something that will limit your skills at the level they are now.
Hope this helps,
Roger