Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Windsurfing Dominican (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287)

Guest 27th February 2007 01:50 AM

Windsurfing Dominican

My wife and I are planning a trip in March/April but she (a non-windsurfer) is giving me grief about wanting to stay in Cabarete. I'm a beginer/intermediate windsurfer from the Canadian prairies and these trips are my only opportunity to really improve and get the benefit of some instruction... So my intent is to spend my days on the water. My wife wants to enjoy the place even if she doesn't windsurf.

She will be happy as long as the hotel is nice, she feels safe, and their are some other activities. Has anybody windsurfed elsewhere in the Dominican (than Cabarete)?

We've also considered Varadero in Cuba. Any comments/advice are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest 27th February 2007 06:48 AM

RE: Windsurfing Dominican

Try the Velero in Cabarete--right on the water--beautiful--short walk to Vela and others. Jim

Del Carpenter 27th February 2007 09:15 AM

In March 2003 the all inclusive resort we stayed at in Cabarete had a sister resort in Sosua. We could travel about 1/2 hour between the resorts in mini-vans and have meals at either one. The one in Sosua was at the end of a bay which had pretty decent snorkeling (good enough large sailing catamarans brought in 30-50 tourists at a time who had paid for the privilege of snorkeling in a area that was reachable by swimming from the resort). Unfortunately I don't remember the name of either resort. We felt safe all of the time though we were not late night party-goers. We had good food and good service. I did some windsurfing in the bay at Sosua but the rental equipment there was pretty minimal and the wind there seemed to be not as consistent.

I'm a flat water sailor and I had enough problems with the ocean "waves" that the first of my 5 days windsurfing in Cabarete ended with a long walk back from Bozos Beach (even though the small waves I encountered would not have interested a wave sailor).

Guest 28th February 2007 01:09 AM

I was with my girlfriend (now wife...) in Cabarete back in -01. I was hoping that I could go for some surfing during the stay, but sadly the conditions seemed a bit too touch for a beginner that had only been surfing real old stuff (like -90-ish 190liters...). Heard that there was a lagoon for beginners, never checked it out, because it felt a little too beginner-ish... So instead there was two weeks in the chairs on the beach, just looking out on all the happy people... The beach sellers was abit annoying, always mentioning their commision... You'd better just say "Hola, not interested and look another way", and they'll keep on walking... Also watch out the time-sharers that will promise you stuff for coming and listening to their stories... Overall we felt safe, but some of these "sellers" was great pain in th *ss, so it actually started to feel a bit uncomfortable (for me that is, my first far-away-trip...)
Stayed on Villa Taina, you walked through a rental center on your way to the beach...
That was then, now is now, don't know what has changed there since, but I know that I have changed so much that I would definitely go out surfing if/when I go back... at www.club-mistral.com, you can order a free (excl shipping) DVD with their destinations (Cabarete is one...), and from what I saw on that, maybe I could have had some surfing when I was there anyway, the conditions seemed "softer" if you went further east from where we were staying...

Guest 28th February 2007 10:37 AM

i have gone to cabarete twice with a few other locals, who also windsurf.
the conditons were challenging when the wind picked up. inside the reef it at times resembled a big washing machine.
Some people had trouble others were Ok. It was not a flat water venue.
Downsides, there was a wind line that you had to get to. Sometimes I swam to it . If your lucky to be a lightweight , you could schlog to it . Best practice was waiting for a good gust to make it out to the wind, at times you get a gust and only make it halfway out to the real windline then be back in the drink waiting for another gust, no worse then kanaha beach though.
The waves were very forgiving not maui like at all, and you could avoid them easily. the water was warm.
The best thing about cabartrer is that it is still relatively cheap we stayed at a place called WWW.cabartesurfcamp.com , owned privatley by a german fellow, kiters stayed there. It was a bit of a walk to the beach, but tolerable and cheaper. We cooked for ourselves or ate out at the many good places there. and there are many !!
The scene is very eruo and americans arent common.Locals do hassle you, but no worse then many other places in Puerto Plata they are much worse. So getting geographically away form Peurto Plata is a good thing.
there is cheap horseback riding either beach or upland in the hills. MAny tourist outfitters are present i did not personally like them, one out fit left us standing in the rain one morning . Only gave us a 5 bucks doscount for our misery.
the thing you have to remember is that getting hassled by the locals IS NOT THE NORM for people here . Only in the touristy areas. It an easy way for them to make money. You have to be a bit thick skinned and not support begging( i know it sounds dumb but its true).. . Domincan people are very generous kind well behaved and religious.
a trip down the coast a few hours where tourism is scarce and Noone bothers you.
google cabarete on the "groups" setting there lots of info on rec.windsurfing, as well
shredulato;)