Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   early planing board (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13250)

refrus 22nd August 2011 06:27 AM

early planing board

Hi SB team,

I'll apreciate your help regarding next issue I have and current search for my new early planning board.

I am 110 to 115 kg, 40 yaers old and 194 cm, not quite ideal for the windsurfing:(!

Currently I use Tabou Rocket GT 145 (2008) and NS S-Type 9,5 for light winds. As even with this combination it takes more than 15 to 17 knots for planning I am looking for board that will allow me to plane much earlier (10 to 15 knots) with already mantioned sail. Other things that are important is durability of the board (e.g. Carbon is to fragile for my way of use - sometimes my wife and kids are also taking the board)

Please be so kind to recommend me the earliest planning/durability SB but not the Formula.

My thougts are US 147, but I am affraid of next things:
1. are the footstraps to much outboard (pure slalom board has outboard straps and I am not confortable with this)
2. would US147 be Ok if wind during the session picks up to 17 to 20 knots and water starts to be choppy?
3. Due to concave deck Is there enough volume to tack (somtimes I jibe but sometimes I tack!)
4. Is the wood option durable enough.

My other kit is:
JP allRide 116
NP Hellcat 7,7
NP Excess 6,9

Thanks you in advance:)

Remi 22nd August 2011 09:19 AM

Hi refus,

The UltraSonic 147 should be good for you.

For the insert due to is not a Full iSonic board who can fit PWA format, we make this board more accessible with in board position for the foot-straps, so you will be comfortable.

With 9.5 the board will be perfect and you can expect to plane in 10 knots, you can even if you want to increase again your light wind performances take bigger. I am 92 and plane at 8 with it with 9.7.

Wood prove already are quiet enough strong so should be ok except you finish in the rocks ;)

If you don't stop on the nose volume will be enough.

All the best

PG 22nd August 2011 01:22 PM

Not a SB, but it might make sense to consider a Lorch Bird 164? Lots of volume for a heavyweight, designed explicitly for early planing.

refrus 22nd August 2011 03:56 PM

Hi Remi

[QUOTE=refrus;52223]Hi SB team,

You almost convinced me, I am very close to make an order:D, but!

Only open issue left is:

Would US147 be OK if wind during the session picks up to 20 knots and surface starts to be choppy or it will result with board lift offs... menaing bord will be out of control.

Baiscally I want to use US147 between 10 and 20 knots and above 20 I will take my JP 116 allRide.

Is there any specific nose protectore for US as this would be wise investment against mast crash to the nose. Also is there any spcific boardbag for the US.

Thank you once again, and I would like to believe next thread will be my delight description of how my new US is exciting and early planning;)

Remi 22nd August 2011 05:57 PM

Hi Refrus,

Whit out any problems particularly for a guy heavy like you.

I am more than 20 kgs lighter and use it in more winds than 20 knots.

Yes it's possible to Order with it a nose protector.

All the best

refrus 22nd August 2011 06:35 PM

Hi Remi,

Thats what I want to hear:):):):)

by,by old Tabou Rocket 145, you served well:(....welcome new US147 Wood :):):):)