Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GO 133 as progression board? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13912)

imbrooks 26th October 2011 07:46 PM

GO 133 as progression board?

Hoping to get some advice or feedback...

I own a Rio M, recently put a larger (58cm) fin on it. Interesting in progressing to a 2nd board, something lighter than the Rio and bit more "oomph" -- speed, early planing, performance, etc.

How does the Go 133 stack up? There is one available used, at a fair price. I am 5'7" 155lb. male, and currently on the Rio M I can tack/slow-speed jibe, intermediate footstraps, use the harness (but not fully committed to it yet)...my catapults are "falls" to the side... Usually if planing, I am in front footstrap (w/ rear foot on the board). Sail in light/med winds, sail sizes 5.7-7.5, don't use the centerboard much anymore. Some beachstarting, no waterstarting yet...

How would the Go 133 fare given my skill/progression level? At my weight, is it uphaulable? Easily uphaulable? Can it be used in light winds.... or would a 150L volume be better?

Also available is older Futura 144L. My understanding is this is lighter board, but more fragile. Any pros/cons or recommendations? My interest is flat-water/chop. No waves for me :)

Thanks -
Brooks

Roger 26th October 2011 08:49 PM

Hi Brooks,
The GO 133 will be OK, but at your weight you might look for something in the 110-115 liter range.
That will be more in line with your sail sizes.
At 155 lbs, you can uphaul any board > 100 liters and probably uphaul 90-100 liter boards but not as easily.
There is a dilemma here.
You have small to mid size sails for the light/medium conditions you suggest,and if the winds are steady @ > 12 knots, you (at your weight) can go a bit smaller and still get some planing performance.
But, for truly light winds (I.R. < 12 knots, a wider board and larger rigs would be what you need to plane more of the time.
The Futura 144 sounds like it's more the "light wind planer" you want (vs the GO 133), but getting an 8.5 m2 rig would sure help with your light winds.
Yes, lighter boards are a bit more fragile, but when you get fully back in the footstraps (you will need this skill for either the Futura or GO 133) and are not getting catapaulted rig onto the nose, you won't have any durability issues with the Futura.
As far as what works to plane in < 12 knots...... wider boards and larger sails!
Roger

Ken 26th October 2011 09:48 PM

Brooks,

Roger offers good advice.

There is never one correct answer because ones progression in windsurfing depends on many variables. Things like - typical winds, number of days sailing per year, plus dedication and commitment to mastering the sport. 95% of us never "master" the sport, but we become hooked on the enjoyment and excitement of the sport.

So, look at yourself and project where you think you want to be in a year or two. Basically, a board in the 110-115 range as Roger suggests is a good recommendation if you "know this is your sport". If you are content with just enjoying the outdoors and cruising around with little stress, the the bigger boards may be a better option.

The smaller boards take a higher level of commitment to master, but the payoff can be much greater. Many of us that have a couple of decades under our belts, usually have between two and four boards so we can maximize our time on the water in any conditions. Where you live also plays a huge role in what gear you have because of the winds and venues. Boston means a shorter sailing season so it's hard to accumulate a lot of days. I don't know about the winds there, but that's where it may be to your advantage to check out what the other Boston windsurfers are using most of the time. Keep it up and you will be hooked. Careful it doesn't mess up your family life.

imbrooks 26th October 2011 11:23 PM

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Let me 'drill down' a little further.

Roger -- I'll take your comment as a "yes" that 133L is plenty of volume. I don't think I'm ready to go down to 110-115 yet. I'm coming from the relative comfort and dryness of a 200L board :). Also, wouldn't a 110L board need some decent wind. At this point in my progression, 25+knots scares the cr*p out of me still...

Granted, I need to get a bigger (ie 8.5m2) sail next season... given that, how much more early planing/performance will I get from a Futura vs. Go? The Go is pretty much brand new (2010). The Futura is 2007, well-used but no repairs to the board. Priced similar to each other.

Ken, I'm pretty sure "this is my sport", but I also have family considerations. So I'm more of a TOW guy and happy to just get out and cruise around, w/o being full-fledged fanatic w/ 4board quiver. Although Rio + SUP + new board would put me at 3 already....:rolleyes:

Sailboarder 27th October 2011 12:11 AM

Are your keeping the RIO?

If yes, you should follow Rogers advice. I'm at your technical level, but heavier at 210lb. I tried a 139l GO and don't feel like buying one since it is similar in usage to my Kona longboard. And I find that a longboard is better in low wind since it is here very inconsistent. A longboard is better in these conditions since you never need to swim back to shore, and it is much nicer below planning threshold.

I am now using a 115l Starsurfer (similar to Kode Tufskin) that I bought for the kids. At my weight, it is difficult to uphaul, and I'm in fact focusing on waterstarts now. But once running, it is much nicer in the chop when powered on my 6.0. A 115l board for you would be great since it will be quite different from your RIO, while being uphaulable.

imbrooks 27th October 2011 01:19 AM

Sailboarder --

Aargh, this seems conflicting advice ;) I contacted one shop, the owner recommended going w/ a 140-150L board as a progression.

My fear w/ 110L range is that I'd need strong winds to have fun w/ it? I don't want to buy a board that only functions in "nuclear" conditions.

Probably I should wait til Spring and try to demo different sizes before deciding. Then again, I probably should not have gotten into wsurfing in the first place..

Roger 27th October 2011 04:53 AM

Brooks,
If you get the larger sail, you can still use it just fine on a 110-115 liter board.
AND
You can get a wider 110-120 liter board that will plane significantly earlier.
Almost any > 100 liter board can be used with your 5.7 m2 and 7.5 m2 rigs, and any board > 115 liters (and fairly wide (I.E. > 75 cm) will work with all of your sails, abeit better with the 7.5/8.5.
For > 20 knots of wind, you would need a smaller board and probably could sail up to 22 knots with your
5.7 well tuned for high winds.
Sounds like you need a smaller board (you are light in weight @ 155 lbs.) but the normal range of your windspeeds is >10- <20 knots which suits the 110-125 liter boards prefectly.
Also suits you sail sizes for an advancing sailor. Might want to pick up a good 6.5 m2 at some point as there's a bit of a gap from 5.7-7.5 particularly is the 5.7 is a freeride sail and the 7.5 is a free race sail.
Hope this helps,
Roger