Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Windsurfing School (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   sail for 20-30 mph wind (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465)

ed 22nd March 2007 11:18 PM

sail for 20-30 mph wind

Hi Roger
.I am looking for a good,cambered,100%XPly, 7.5 sail,with wind range
from 20-30 mph....I am 185lbs.,good longboard sailor,I sail a Mistral Equipe,1998 version,3-30 mph,I was using a NP,VX,RBC sail,7.5,up
to 24mph,it is now beyond repair,it was monofilm(1997) Can you
reccomend a good sail?

Thanks Ed

Roger 23rd March 2007 05:07 AM

RE: sail for 20-30 mph wind

Hi Ed,
Are you racing?
It sounds like it if you had a "RBC" specific (Race Board Class) sail.
Sounds like you simply must have cams.
I haven't done much racing of any kind lately, but toward the end of my "racing career" I was doing well with camless Sailworks Retro's on my longboards.
I had some RBC sails available, but found the Retro was overall faster and lighter.
You might try any of the following:
Sailworks Retro 7.5 (they even made a 7.5 m2 RBC Retro a few years back), Sailworks 7.2/7.8 m2 NX slm (4 cams), Severne Overdrive 7.5 m2, of perhaps the venerable NP V8.
I'm a bit suprised you are looking for a 7.5 m2 for 20-30 mph (17.4 -26.0 knots) as it would seem you'd be faiirly overpowered in 20 knots + with that large a rig, but you are the guy that has to hold it down, not me.
You might also want to take a look at the Aerotech Dagger which is a longboard specific sail, but not all X-ply.
Hope this helps,

Peterk 23rd March 2007 05:08 AM

Wow. I weigh 165lbs and I am sailing a 4.0 to 4.6 rig in those winds. How the heck do you hold on?

ed 23rd March 2007 08:30 AM

Hi Roger
No I do not race my Equipe,but I like to go fast,and cruise up the coast. I have used a friends 2000 7.5 retro,it was a solid 25 mph,I
thought I would get overpowered,the sail handled very nicely,I was
amazed,I did not get overpowered. It is not an absolute must for a
cambered sail. Roger I think you may be right,the new retro 7.5,is
probably lighter,and has more range,then the 2000 I used.

thanks Ed

ed 23rd March 2007 08:40 AM

Hi Peterk
the Equipe isa 12ft.long longboard,and about 31lbs,including everything,so it is a fairly big board,it handles larger sails in strong
wind very well,the olympic one design people would sail in 40knots with a 7.5,and the formula guys are holding onto 10.5 meter sails in 30knots

Peter take a sail on an Equipe,you might give your short board up!
lol,have a windy day Ed

Peterk 24th March 2007 04:36 AM

Ed,

Funny you should suggest the equipe. I took a break from sailing for about 8 years and decided last year that it was long enough. Wondering why? Well, I was on a local lake where my dad sails his Nacra. It was blowing nice for this area and I was itching to do some windsurfing. The guy who runs the sailing club owned a nice equipe and 7.5 Gaastra rig. I stole both and had the time of my life. Of course the wind was taken out my sails when a guy from another part of the lake showed up with this bizarre wide, door looking thing. He was flying! So I ran out and purchased a big Carve 145 and a 9.0 Retro. I'm back and I don't have to sit on shore anymore!

By the way, the equipe is a great board.