Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Evo or kombat (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1467)

pietro 23rd March 2007 04:21 PM

Evo or kombat

Hi,

i am looking for my second board. I have got the carve 122 and i would like to bye a definitive little board: for medium and strong wind for the lake and for the mediterranea sea

I am quite heavy (84 kg) and i usually sail in the lake. For this second board i will use sail from 5.8 to 4.2

I though the right definitive board for me could be the kombat 86 but i wuold be sure to use it also (not many times) with strong wind and waves condition (not really big wave, maximum 2, 2.5 meters)

What abuot the evo or acid?
I need a board good for waves but the most of the time i use it with strong wind but at the lake. Wich one is better in your opinion for me?

thanks for your response!

Bye

Pietro

geo 23rd March 2007 05:33 PM

RE: Evo or kombat

Hi,

I'm about your weight and have an Evo 83. I can say it is really a great board, very easy and forgiving, but probably a bit slow to really enjoy on a lake. Consider it as a great wave board, but no more than a good compromise when in flatter conditions.
Of course you can't have everything. I choose the Evo knowing its possible shortcomings and I don't regret it, but my sailing is always in sea waters and my using of the Evo in flat conditions is really limited (Evo + 5.8 wave and Sonic + 6.6 race wind ranges do greatly overlap). The main advantage of the Evo is in that it does not limit my home spots wave and wind upper range despite a limited board quiver.

Ian Fox 23rd March 2007 06:53 PM

Hi Pietro,

Both boards are very good, but important to understand the subtle difference for boards designed to ride (surf) waves (actual surf wave riding) and the boards designed for more chop sailing across waves/chop.

In this case, the Evo is a design more truly focussed on surf wave performance, whereas the Kombat has some surf potential, but extra efficency which helps it be more fun in bump and jump / chop waves conditions. Also, being a slightly (but not overly) more efficent board in general than the super turny Evo, the Kombat86/87 will size (in "performance range", rather than simply absolute volume) closer to your Carve 122. That should create a more practical range overlap in your quiver.

PureAcid86 could be another good option, more wave oriented than the K86/87, but carrying a little more efficency, speed and B&J character than the more surf Evo, both the PA 86 and 80 extend very well into higher wind B&J in choppy water.

Hope that helps the decision, the discussion is open if more info is required.

Cheers ~ Ian

pietro 23rd March 2007 07:00 PM

Thanks!! to you both Guys

Anyway i hope to use a lot the little board and not sooftne the big one ;–)

Pietro

zots 24th March 2007 12:02 AM

Evo is a pure wave board. I have the 07 80 which I love in the surf. But for flat water for your weight, the Acid 80/88 is a good board. Any trad wave board is 100 % on crazy flatwater chop and high winds. The JP FSW 85 is also a magic board for what you want and your sail range. I use the JP FSW 98 from 4.7 - 6.5. I am 85kg. Cannot comment on the Kombat.

Floyd 24th March 2007 12:20 AM

If it helps at all I went for kombat 96 (I weigh 98kg) Tried biggest Evo and loved it but thought kombat would give a bit more time on water. (Coastal use ) kombat is more than up to task. Its an excellent heavies waveboard. (IMO for my weight better than EVO) By time I`m maxed out on k96 I should be on 80 litres or so anyway.. Thinking ov smaller Evo to go down to but did not want 4 board quiver. (K 96 current smallest)