Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   hybrid formula (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1498)

rob m 28th March 2007 01:04 AM

hybrid formula

Hi, I was curious if the 2007 and 2006 Starboard hybrid formulas were the same design? If not what are the differences.

Cheers, Rob.

Guest 28th March 2007 03:22 AM

RE: Hybrid formula

Hi

Is there some one how has sailied the Hybrid Formula, and can you tell about the sail and sailor (kg.) range for it.

Best regards

jacob

JJay 28th March 2007 07:07 PM

RE: hybrid formula

Hi,
I own a 2006 model, and another guy at our sailing club has the 2007 model. We have had to mark which is which! They are identical. Also if you scroll under products, then archives, then 2006, you will see the spec on the 2006 is the same as posted by SB for the 2007.

As far as the performance of the board is concerned, "amazing" best describes it. I use, mostly, a Northsails 9.5m R-Type 2 cam freerace sail. However it can handle up to 11m easy. The setup is very similar to that of Olympic class RSX, which also use 9.5m 2 cam sails as a rule.

(The performance, in my opinion, of the Hybrid is far superior to that of the RSX. Particularly while planing.)

My weight is between 88 to 90 kg. Of course i struggle a little when pumping upwind in the forward straps compared to the lighter guys. But the difference is not too bad. However when the wind picks up, the Hybrid Formula really comes alive. It planes up so powerfully. It feels like a board half it's size. Mainly due to the duck tail. I can honestly say that in 16 to 20 knots, it feels like riding a speeding train!!!!! Very stable and solid as a rock. Upwind, downwind, any angle, no problem. Due to rails that look like the corner of a box! "SHARP"

Not the sexiest board in the world. But it grows on you.

If you want something that you can sail in any conditions. Then it does just what Starboard say it does. And more !!!

Regards,
A very satisfied Hybrid owner.
JJay.

Guest 29th March 2007 02:43 PM

Hi JJay

Super thanks ...nice to hear. Do you think it can be sailed with 6.5 to 8.5 m2 of af sailor around 50 to 75 kg.

Best regards

Jacob

JJay 30th March 2007 03:54 AM

Hi Jacob,
8.5m will be no problem. 6.5m will also give the board forward motion, but only just!!!! Don't forget that at just under 16kg, the board is no light weight.

I guess you already have sails in the sizes you mention. If so, I suggest 8.5m is the one to use.

If you are thinking about which sail to buy? Then you should really think about a 9.5m freerace sail. The board is more than able to carry this size sail. I could even say that on the Hybrid, a 9.5m sail feels much smaller than it is.

At 75kg body weight, you will be fine.

However you mention 50kg also???? I am guessing that you are intending to use it for free riding? Maybe for smaller members of your family???? If so, then it's just a matter of logic.

In sub planing conditions anything from a tissue to a bedsheet will be fine. With 230 litres of volume, almost any size sail will get it going. The size and weight of the board, (don't forget it's 82cm width) conbined with its stability, makes it possible to control larger sails than you would perhaps use on other boards. So don't hesitate to rig up something a little larger.

I hope this will help you. It's a great board, and often under rated. It will last forever, and become more enjoyable each time you sail it.

Happy sailing,
JJay

P.s With the new phantom race boards now being introduced, I guess time is running out for the Hybrid. So if you want one, now would be the time to get one.

Guest 7th April 2007 08:21 PM

Hi All,

If my information from 2006 is right the Hybrid Formula was planned to be in production until the end of 2008 or 2009 because it class legal for I believe the French hybrid Class...

I am also a very happy 2006 Hybrid Formula owner and have sailed the board in al kinds of conditions with racesails between 6.6. and 11 meter without any problem and al lot of fun. It realy does it all!

It even works as an firsttime learning platform for my kids (8 and 6) and as an family lightwind watertoy without any damage due to the solid construction.

Greetz

Albert

2006 Hybrid Formula
2004 FF 158 & HS 111
Norhs warps's of several years between 5,3 and 11 meter

Guest 9th April 2007 03:59 PM

thanks a lot for the feedback and it sounds fun.

Have you teste the fin range, thinking of going up around 60 to 65 cm. What model of fin do you think will work ?

Best regards

Jacob

Guest 11th April 2007 03:10 AM

Hi,

For me the stock 60cm fin does it all for me from 6.6 to 11 meter sails, but I still have to test what the pro's are of using my biggest 70cm fin in light wind conditions. I expect that de daggerboardup track back performance will increase and that the balance for upwind daggerboarddown track almost in the front position will suffer a little bit. I will post a message when I have this tested this. In this just started new surfseasons I used the board twice inconditions I could have sailed with my HS111 as well. Due to the cold water and air temperature and my bad fysical condition (to less sport during the winter) I found it saver to use a big board and I had to realy two amazing funny and enjoyable highwind surfing sessions on my Hybrid Formula. As other already mentioned before the board surprises you time after time and is never boring.

Greetz,

Albert

Guest 26th May 2007 09:00 PM

For balance I have to say that I have never been so dissapointed as after a few sessions on a HF. I think the shape is probably good and non planning it's ok, but the weight really makes it reluctant to plane and physical when it does. I guess that in a blow that weight will hold it down over/through the chop. I also accept that none of the other hybrids seem better (not tried the Bic). But for me I will keep using a Gsport lifter on a Free Formula for these conditions. Light and simple is the windsurf way , no ?

Guest 27th May 2007 05:54 AM

IMHO longboards and formula boards are both fun to sail and race, but their "hybrid" offspring are more suitable as beginner boards than performance machines.