Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Freerace vs Slalom (Light to medium wind) (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15340)

RadiantX 12th March 2012 10:26 AM

Freerace vs Slalom (Light to medium wind)

Hi All,

I have been thinking of buying a Isonic for a little while now. I Currently own a Futura111 and 7m cambered sail, I'm 82kg. I find I'm mostly sailing underpowered to only moderately powered up in our typical seabreeze conditions of 13-18 knots. More often the lower end of that range. To have more power available to make blasting upwind easier and just generally sailing more "powered up" in those conditions what type of setup should I be looking at. Should I be looking at the Isonic in a similar size with a larger rig or a larger board and rig? Are there any benifits to choosing the Isonic over the Futura? I would say I'm at the bottom to mid end of advanced in terms of level but I'm wondering if using a slalom board is as difficult as everyone tends to tell me. Also, I generally sail in chop and swell, not so much flat water. Thanks!

Gyurmo 2nd April 2012 10:51 PM

hi radiantx,

with your weight the 7,0 and the futura 111 is very small for you for this wind range.
isonic faster than futura. futura more comfortable, easier to handle, easier to use the straps and jibing like a machine. :D for your objectives and your skills futura is much bigger fun. (by the way is cheaper too… )

i think the best set up is futura 131/76 wide and severne overdrive 8,5 would be for you. if you want to replace your 7,0 and you want to have not more than two sails, overdrive 7,5 is good. you can thinking on the severne reflexIII 8,6/7,0 too. reflex has better top end speed, but more difficult to use it and rig it – and more expensive.

cheers,
gyurmo

joe_windsurfer 3rd April 2012 12:53 AM

here's one for ya ...

does the Futura 111 handle a free-race sail/2 cams in an 8-oh ??
if so, why get another board
boards are $$$

happy sailing

BelSkorpio 3rd April 2012 10:58 AM

I think I agree with Joe.
First issue is your sail size. Add at least 1 m2, so 8,0.
Afterwards you still can think about another board.

On the other hand, don't be afraid of an Isonic in this wind range, because there will be almost no chop.
It's only the chop that makes an Isonic harder to ride, compared to a futura.
Isonics get a little bit rougher starting from 20+ knots because of the increasing chop.
Just my thoughts.

COACHG 3rd April 2012 05:38 PM

You are under boarded & under sailed for 13-15 knts which appears to be your predominate wind range.

Cheapest fix is get an 8.0 that rigs on your 460 mast. Next up would be a 490 mast with an 8.5 or 9.0. Third option would be a new board & final option would be both larger board & sail.

Futura or Isonic? That really is a personal choice that only you can answer. Isonic will be faster upwind, faster down wind & have greater VMG. Futura will be smoother in chop, more comfortable ride overall and easier on transitions, especially tacking as the Isonic has very little volume in front of the mast.

I have both. I use my Isonic for racing & long distance blasting. I use my Futura for short reaches with general freeride-different types of jibes &tacks, upwind & downwind 360’s.

Coachg

RadiantX 5th April 2012 09:23 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice!

I've decided the Futura111 is the way to go and get a 7.8m freerace sail (Loft Switchblade) that will work with my current mast. I just hope this is enough for the wind range I mostly sail in.

Haggar 6th April 2012 06:27 AM

Yeah Radiant, I'd stick with the F111. I sail in choppy bay conditions and I just changed from iSonics to the Futura, much better in these conditions and I am faster on this board in these conditons. I'm also looking at getting an 8m sail. Make you sure that you have the right mast so that you get the best efficiency from your sail, so for the Loft that will be constant curve. Enjoy !

Gyurmo 10th April 2012 05:09 PM

hi radiantx,

if you have the opportunity to try a switchblade 7,8 (or similar) on your Futura 111 before you buy do it. try with your mast, check are the cambers able to rotate, how open the leech and how can you get into plan in 13 knots? (10cm wider board gives much earlier planning than extra 0,8sqm sail) if you have good feeling take it! ;)

cheers,
gyurmo

RadiantX 10th April 2012 08:35 PM

Thanks Gyurmo. You have a very good point there and I was curious about it also. I think in the end I just have to make a decision and go with it. Thanks for your advice!

Gyurmo 15th April 2012 08:10 PM

come back with your experience. let us learn from it!
thanks,
gyurmo