Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Settings - iSonic 127 (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15778)

Pelegrin 24th November 2012 02:55 PM

Settings - iSonic 127

I have an iSonic 127 2011, my weight is 77 kg, I never sail in open sea conditions, I mostly use Gaastra Vapor 7.6 but sometimes TR 2 9.3 and i will use F-Hot fins 46 or 52 cm.

I wonder wich settings of mastfoot and footstraps will be the best for speed on reach = freeriding?

SeanAUS120 26th November 2012 09:49 PM

Hi Pelegrin,

I used the same board in 2011 on the PWA. I was 80kg at the time. I think us lighter riders need to work to get more weight on the back of the board over the fin which a heavier rider can do more easily. So I have my back straps in the back holes and my front straps in the middle holes.

Depending on your height, you can change the distance between your straps by just moving the front ones forward/back: having them in the back holes (same as back straps) gives you a nice comfortable stance. Having them in the front holes (back straps still in the back) gives you a very wide stance which might feel weird at first but you can have much more control over the board in stronger winds as you have more leverage over the pitch of the nose of the board.

Mast track I had generally in the middle or 1cm behind middle. I saw other riders like Alberto Menegatti putting their mast track all the way at the back, but I found my board would fly away when I did this.

46 and 52 fins will be perfect. I used 46 with my 8.6m nearly all the time for downwind slalom. For cruising and with the 9.3m, the 52 will be nice.

Enjoy :-)

Pelegrin 27th November 2012 07:29 AM

Sean - ThankYou for quick answer! That was exactly the details I was interested in. I do not miss anything and I will follow Your advice in spring when the ice has melted here in Sweden. From now on the winterseason starts with iceboarding wich is just as fun as windsurfing, but much easier.

SeanAUS120 30th November 2012 07:48 PM

Can't relate to that... 38 degrees here in AUS !! :-))))))

Pelegrin 2nd December 2012 01:08 PM

That sounds nice. We have - 8 degrees, wich is 46 below what You have!

Pelegrin 5th August 2014 02:06 PM

I pick up this thread. My experience:

1) iSonic 127 works well with 9.2 sail and 51 Select S 10 51 cm fin. F-Hot 52 cm is about the same but it wibrates over 20 knots speed. The speed is ok.

2) The board works well with 8.4 and 7.6 sail with Slect S 10 46 and F-Hot 46 (also wibrates) but I think the board could go faster.

It seams like the fins over 50 cm is a bit faster than the 46 cm and I do not know why it seams almost impossible to run the board over 25 knots speed in chop. I think my scills are ok and I have ok racing TR-sails: 7.6, 8.4 and 9.2.

Please help me to go faster! I sail at sea but not at open sea. There are islands all around my home spot. Should I try other fins or what?

Pelegrin 7th August 2014 11:32 AM

NO ANSWER - Hopeless case or....?

mcross19 7th August 2014 12:15 PM

The short answer is to get a smaller, narrower board, that is the only way you will go quicker!

If you do not want or cannot afford a smaller board then you need to use the smallest sweptback fin that you can plane with without experiencing spinout.

Pelegrin 7th August 2014 12:52 PM

cmcross19 - Thanks, I will start to try with a Lessacher Duo Weed 36 that I have tried some times without any great results. Maybe a smaller (42-44 cm) Select VMax would do?

Perhaps you are right that the only way to get faster is a smaller board. I have one but I have not been abel to try it for real. It is a JP Salalom 108 l but I am very pleased with the iSonic 127 carbon so I mostly use this board and a JP SLW.

mark h 7th August 2014 11:03 PM

Hi pelegrin,

I'm surprised that the f hot fin vibrates. I have six f hot fins for my iS107 and iS137 and none of them vibrate or whistle. Do your fins fit tightly in the fin box?

I mainly use the 46cm with an 8.6m and 9.5m, and the 48cm in lighter winds. The 52cm only get used in very very light winds. I am surprised that you can not get faster than 25 knots! It should be going much faster, even in open waters. It would be hard to say why if is going so slow.