Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   do i need a daggerboard (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15815)

Unregistered 16th December 2012 07:23 PM

do i need a daggerboard

i tried windsurfing for the first time last summer and loved it. for xmas, i want my parents to help pay for my first windsurfing kit. should i get a board with a daggerboard, if so where can i get a used board with a daggerboard? also, can i connect any rig with any board or do they have to be the same brand?

Unregistered 17th December 2012 09:13 AM

tooo many questions
NOT sure u r ready 2 buy
and especially NOT your parents

PrydeMan 17th December 2012 09:52 AM

For first time beginners yes a daggerboard is recommended. Most stores with schools will have second hand beginner gear.
Small sail like 4.5m for beginners and any brand is fine

Roger 17th December 2012 11:16 AM

unreg,
As suggested, a smaller sail and a larger, wider board will speed your learning process.
Having a daggerboard/centerfin is very helpful when learning the basic maneuvers (i.e.
tacking, flare jibes, beach starts) and will help you to stay upwind when you are learning
as your board will "rig steer".
Without a daggerboard/center fin, you may be frustrated as it's difficult to stay upwind
at slow beginner speeds, and the board will not "rig steer".
So, boards without a daggerboard/center fin are considered a bit more advanced and it takes
more advanced techniques and a bit more speed to stay upwind.
As far as the rig attachment to the board there are 2 or 3 basic "systems" (I.E. Chinook, Euro Pin,
Bic Rubber joint) but once you decide on a system, you can buy the mast bases and adapters
to fit most boards.
Many beginner boards are provided with the universal joint and pin system that fits the adjustable
mast track for that brand of board, but the attachment to the mast base extension can be varied.
Some beginner boards come with a basic mast slot, in which case a standard twist on universal
joint and a Chinook/Euro Pin/ Bic adapter cup on the top of the universal will adapt your rig to pretty much any board with a mast slot and any compatible mast base extension.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Sailboarder 20th December 2012 11:55 AM

Something you might want to do is to rent / borrow boards before buying. There are two reasons for that.

First, the great beginning boards (Start) are good for the first few times only. Once you figure it out, you will want a board with more glide, like the Rio maybe. So a beginner board is not a great long term investment if you don't plan on starting many other on it.

Second, renting boards will allow you to try different things, and figure out better what you want before buying.

You can rent boards at schools, shops, and many clubs. Research what's available in your area.

Unregistered 20th December 2012 01:46 PM

OR if yur really lucky
you can take some lessons in your area
where we live there is a local club for rentals
butt NOT much in terms of windsurf lessons - one place and NOT well known