Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ask the question again !! (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15873)

Martin.M.A 12th January 2013 06:26 AM

Ask the question again !!

Ask the question again! is there no one who can explain if there is any difference in the shapen isonic 2011 and 2013 107.

Phill104 12th January 2013 07:21 PM

Not easy for me to comment as I have a 2012 and before that I had the 2011. The 2012 has the same bottom layout as the 2013 though.

For me I could barely tell the difference on the water TBH. Both boards are fantastic both on the flat and in the close chop I often sail it in. Even sails side by side the changes are hard to pick out. That may be greater between the 2011 and 2013 and the look of the 2013 is stunning.

I'm going to hang onto my 107 for a few years as it is such a dream to sail I can see no reason why I would change it. I would still be interested to hear from those who have sailed the new on compared to the old.

NWF 12th January 2013 09:06 PM

I have replaced my 2012 Isonic 107 with a 2013...... In the main.... The board gybes and tracks better, with enhanced board control in overpowered choppy waters with the new cutouts which have increased the acceleration and top speed overall. Just making an excellent board even better.......

Phill104 13th January 2013 08:24 PM

Thanks Allan, always good to hear your thoughts.

Martin.M.A 14th January 2013 02:08 PM

But the question remains, when I still have read that there is a difference as below:

how much difference there is in the rocker and between a Isonic 107 2011 and the new Isonic 2013? It was Flat Vee to Double Concave to Vee Flat in 2011 and Flat Vee to Double Concave 2013 ?

Ian Fox 14th January 2013 06:46 PM

Hi Martin, you may be missing a key element of the discussion / response here; one of the main improvements in the 2013 board over the 2012/2011 is the way it runs more freely (over chop) with less impact under the mast foot area. This contributes to better top speed potential and a less tiring, less physical impact ride for the rider.

These are attributes (improved trim at speed) one normally associated with variations in rocker (!!).

In fact, the biggest gains in 2011>13 have been the result of pinching in the very back tail outline (2012 update over 2011) and new tail cutouts (2013 over 2012 and 2011), all of which allow the trim of the board to improve and run more freely, delivering high/er top end speed and more comfort/control than previous while still retaining the "maximum efficency" iSonics have become renowned for. There is a lot more going on here than simple "rocker" or bottom shape variance.

Rocker normally refers to the centreline template (often - as in this case- itself does not tell the story)..

As usual, doesn't sound like much in theory (and it does not represent a significant mm variance in rocker);
one can argue "no real difference, what's to bother about..." but for those who have tried it, the result/s are quite clear.

Not sure if this resolves the background to your question....or not ? A quick ride on both boards will.

Cheers ~ Ian

Martin.M.A 14th January 2013 08:18 PM

Thank you! it was precisely this answer I've been looking for. Thank you for a detailed and good answer :)
Martin Sweden