Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Equipment for Beginner - Go or RIO (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16287)

Adi 1st May 2013 07:31 PM

Equipment for Beginner - Go or RIO

Dear All, I would like to purchase a Starboard wind suring board. I relatively new to wind surfing, with 40 hours of surfing equipment, 53 years old, 6'6" tall and weighs 220 pounds. Please advise which of the following would be better - The RIO or the GO WINDSUFING, Thanks

Unregistered 1st May 2013 08:21 PM

you have given information about yourself
where do you want to sail - wind speeds, salt water, waves/chop, lake, etc

since you are a heavyweight, we are a special breed with special needs - check this post :

joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2011/05/heavyweights-and-windsurfing.html

good luck !!

Adi 2nd May 2013 01:33 PM

Rio or go

Hi, thanks for your reply. I usually surf in the Mediterranean Sea, waves of no more then 80cm, winds at no more then 12knots ( as I am a beginner)
Can you recommend which is better for me? What about the size of the sail? 6 square meters?

Regards,

Adi

Unregistered 3rd May 2013 01:12 AM

i am about 6'1" tall and 210 pounds
today i was out with a longboard and an 8.4 in about 12 knot winds
i have used a 10-oh and 94 cm wide freeformula in the same winds
i rarely use a 6-oh now ...
in other words - if you are strong enough do not start with anything under 7-oh
my most used sail is 8.x, but that would be difficult to start with
80 cm waves are pretty big in my book - i sail inland lakes and rivers
i have no experience with RIO nor GO
i do know that people speak about Fanatic Vipers as great first boards - sorry SB
some say the KONA ONE is an option, but i am NOT so sure ...
hope others chime in with more personal experiences
i started with a BIC Dufour WIng many years ago and people strongly suggest against that now - with all the better starter boards available
hope you find something that works for you NOT too expensive and you stick it out !!!
i have become a fanatic and now windsurf 60 times a summer and about 40 in the winter on ice and snow on sleds that i built myself :-)
it is a GREAT sport that encourages outdoor activity and forces one to think/eat healthy
GOOD LUCK !!!!
go take more lessons ?? rent stuff ???
talk to the locals ???

Adi 3rd May 2013 05:42 AM

Equipment for Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply. I took about 12 surfing lesson with qualified instructors. Currently rent the equipment from a local surfing club. As I got addicted to this wonderfull sport, I decided to purchase surfing equipment. The cost in Israel for a complet set to include Starboard RIO/GO 171 liters, 6quare meter Pilot sail from Gaastra, Harnees etc is about $2,000

Unregistered 3rd May 2013 08:58 AM

on an earlier post Roger answered for another heavyweight on lakes

put a post on the SB forum to see what Roger Jackson says for Starboard longboards to start back with as a heavyweight.

Roger has responded and suggested the SB Phantom 320 as a first choice, the RIO L as second and he reluctantly suggested the GO windsurfer as third.