Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rio, Go or Apollo (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1817)

jakob Helbig 10th May 2007 05:26 AM

Rio, Go or Apollo

Hi,

I am just starting to learn the great sport of windsurfing. I am pretty much a beginner, but I am getting well into planing and using the trapez.

I have tried out a Go 155, that semed to me as a great board.

So, now that I am considering buying a board, I have looked at Go155, Rio S and Apollo. Apollo might be total overkill for a semi-novice like me? Which of the other boards (Go 155 or Rio S) has got the most speed and planing ability?

Thanks,

Jakob

o2bnme 10th May 2007 08:38 AM

RE: Rio, Go or Apollo

I agree that the Apollo is overkill for what you need.

I guess one thing to consider between the Rio S and the Go 155 would be the centerboard. Choose the Rio if you want the safety net of the centerboard (makes it easier to head upwind) or the Go if you don't.

Roger 10th May 2007 10:32 PM

Hi Jakob,
You didn't give us much information here.
What is your weight?
What wind conditions do you sail in most often, and what size rigs are you looking at for your new board?
I pretty much agree that the Apollo would not be a real good choice.
It's pretty fragile, and has a limited range of use (up to about 15 knots.
If you liked the GO 155 and weigh < 80 Kg that would be a really good choice.
Adding the centerboard (the Rio) will detract from the early planing and make the board heavier so if you don&#39;t rely on a centerboard to stay upwind now, there&#39;s very little reason to add one.
If you are heavier than aboout 75 Kg. then the GO 170 might be the better choice.
Hope this helps,

jakob Helbig 11th May 2007 02:04 AM

Excellent, thanks guys. I am about 83 kilos, might have to consider Go170...
Just got an offer to get a used Formula board, is that about the same as the Apollo, or would it be a better choice than Apollo?

Jakob

barks 11th May 2007 02:27 AM

It would be a better choice than the Apollo (as that board is a pretty specialized piece of equipment that takes some skill to get the most from) but not a whole lot. Formula boards (and the Apollo) are rather fragile boards to start out on. I believe one of the GO boards (probably the bigger one) would be your best bet for a new Star-Board. Make sure to get a decent size (i.e. big, between 8 and 9, preferably 9) sail too. That&#39;ll get you on the water during a lot of days in the danish summer, and after all time on the water is what will make you learn to sail. Too many people suggest way too small sails for beginners, especially when said beginner is a guy with a strong sports background.

Roger 11th May 2007 04:02 AM

Hi Jakob,
The used formula board is probably a bit too advanced, as well as being far too fragile, for a beginner at your level.
I think the GO 170 is your best choice here.
Or look for a used GO board (if you can find one).
Hope this helps,