Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dagger Board Sailing (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2138)

WSguy 25th June 2007 09:23 PM

Dagger Board Sailing

Last week, I took an old Bic Calypso out in very light winds. I was having trouble with my gybes and found that when I put down the dagger board, all the difficulty went away. This board was a transitional and probably the most boards made in the world of the same type were these. It's 330 cm long and about 170 liters so it handles differently than a regatta racing board. Did I discover a hidden secret? I do have a lot of practice with this board with the dagger up and down, but haven't been using it much since I optained modern boards.

Roger 25th June 2007 09:56 PM

RE: Dagger Board Sailing

Hi WS Guy,
No, don't think anything was discovered here.
Putting the centerboard down changes the physics of jibing and sailing upwind "on the centerboard" from inside rail down in the jibes (w/o centerboard) to outside rail down in the jibes (w centerboard) and from upwind rail down to go upwind (non planing here) to lee rail down to go upwind "on the CB".
All boards with centerboards, center fins and daggerboards follow this change in physics vs shortboards with no provision for a CB.
Only difference (and you may not have discovered this) is that single fin shortboards (especially big wide ones with large span fins) can be sailed upwind most effectively with the lee rail down slightly and the lift from the fin (canted over so the root is slightly downwind of the tip) taking you upwind.
You need to lift with your front foot slightly and push hard across the top of the fin (push the tail of the board to leeward) to get the max. upwind drive from the fin here.
Hope this helps,

WSguy 26th June 2007 07:21 AM

Roger, if there's anything I'm fully adept at in Windsurfing, it would be upwind sailing both with and without a dagger. I may be a novice at all other aspects of the sport, but this is one skill I've honed. Now, I also have been able to cut gybes with daggers and without, but once I returned to this board after a long hiatus, I discovered that in low winds, I could sucessfully gybe it with the dagger down every time while I had some trouble, again, in light winds, with it up. Now, could you please translate your post into plain English.

Goomba 26th June 2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Posted on 25-06-2007 23:21 WSGuy Quote
Roger, if there's anything I'm fully adept at in Windsurfing, it would be upwind sailing both with and without a dagger. I may be a novice at all other aspects of the sport, but this is one skill I've honed. Now, I also have been able to cut gybes with daggers and without, but once I returned to this board after a long hiatus, I discovered that in low winds, I could sucessfully gybe it with the dagger down every time while I had some trouble, again, in light winds, with it up. Now, could you please translate your post into plain English.

You're right. I'm a WiSe Guy.
Brucie,

It is written in English.

It's quite simple even a Goomba could understand it:D
You are supposed to be a Wise guy:o

To help you out, perhaps Roger should Type slower for you;)