Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Free Forum (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Race sails (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2213)

Guest 9th July 2007 01:48 AM

Race sails

hallo guys, hope youre up for some inputs on race sails..i wanna "upgrade" my np rs slalom
quiver to some more "real race" sails. And im pretty fresh on something else than NP,
so i was thinking Maui Salis TR3´s or North Warp..Does anyone knows if np X9 masts works
on Warps? by the way...Or does anybody has better suggestions?..
Boards are 101 + 122 isonics...I dont race competions etc, just for "kicks"....

thanx in advance....

AJ

geo 9th July 2007 07:25 PM

RE: Race sails

Hi,

I have better suggestions. TR-3 and SRS masts. They are plenty fast AND are designed to work nicely even with "normal" body frames, not just the hulks like AA or BD. They look weird, and work great.

Screamer 10th July 2007 08:30 AM

I think that North & Pryde masts/sails won't work well interchanged, tried some combinations a few years ago.

LK 10th July 2007 02:38 PM

Severne Code Red is a option too.
Super easy rigging, 4 roller pulley, best and smoothest cam rotation I have ever tryed. Same performance level than North, NP, MS.
Sailed 6,1 and 7,7 for a month now. Feels light and stabel and fast. Downhaul without tool and you find no better cam rotation.

X9 and Code Red should be OK, was Jesper Orths anwer in a threat on the Team forum.

Cheers

Egor 10th July 2007 05:07 PM

I recently changed from RS slalom to TR3. The RS is a great sail, does everything np says but it aint a race sail and I missed the extra top end stability of my old race sails. I would highly recommend the TR3 but only with the recommended SRS mast.

Guest 11th July 2007 12:19 PM

Yea. Severne is good. If you like looking at painted monofilm. They are a load of crap.

LK 11th July 2007 02:22 PM

Mr. Crap

Yea sure, you prefere nonpaintet sails which fall apart cause to much tension, they hold for 3 month, and thats longer than the mast, or the mast extension.:p

My car is painted too, not made of colored steel. :D

:D:D:D

geo 11th July 2007 03:02 PM

In plain non painted film, all of the material thickness and weight are used for strength and stability.
In painted/coloured/laminated films, part of what you carry around is just for fancy colours.
One may like one way or the other, but it is not the same thing.

TR-3s rigged on the correct masts (MS SRS 100, Gaastra Ignition) deserve a try. They are different. You don't need to trust my words, so I do not use many; but you can trust the signature under the sails.

Guest 11th July 2007 07:30 PM

geo,

there is a big difference between laminated monofilm vs painting.

EVERY sail that I can think of uses laminate monofilm at least in some areas - such as X-ply. But I only see one sail covered in a layer of paint.

For the 'glue' laminates that you talk about, I own 8 of those sails and at least based on my experience, they do not seem to crease and seem more stable. One thick single layer of monofilm seems more brittle and hence more susceptible to creasing. I don't think the benefits of laminated films are fully and widely understood.

Guest 11th July 2007 07:33 PM

LK,
The reason that your car is painted is because it would rust otherwise.