Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ask Our Team (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   5 to 10 knots: what board? (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2306)

emil 23rd July 2007 04:34 PM

5 to 10 knots: what board?

Unfortunately I live in a place where the wind is often light.. too light, but I love windsurfing.
I own slalom boards to cover from 12 knots up and I very happy with these sets. But the wait for the next good wind is too long and I can’t keep myself in a good shape. That’s why I’m looking for a board to go in 5 to 10 knots. I remember the old long board nearly could do the job.
Anything new in this range of wind?

I just read the news about Mercury board.
http://www.star-board.com/news.php?readmore=148
Is this an answer to my question?

steveC 24th July 2007 12:05 AM

RE: 5 to 10 knots: what board?

Any reason why the Serenity wouldn't fit the bill here? Seems perfect for your target wind range of 5-10 knots, especially since it doesn't rely on super expensive jumbo sails, masts and booms. Seems very unlikely that a planing style board can be developed that will be able to deal very effectively with lighter winds under 7 knots, especially if they're a tad gusty in nature.

emil 25th July 2007 03:02 AM

well Serenity looks like an option. I should find the way to try it first. But if I'm not wrong it doesn't ever plane and you can't retract the daggerboard.
What about the APOLLO? just found out today.

Jean-Marc 29th July 2007 02:59 AM

Emil,

I presume your 5-10 knots venue is flat water. It will depend on what is your largest sail and your weight. Serenity in one gliding only option for sure, the other I can see is Phantom 380 with a mix of gliding and planing and fully retractable daggerboard.

I don't think Apollo will be planing as of true 5 knots of wind, even with a jumbo sail...

Cheers !

JM

emil 29th July 2007 01:40 PM

How is the Phantom 380 compare with the old F2 380? I remember it as a wonderful light wind machine and that time sails where around 7.5 m. Was less competitive with board like the Fanatic Mega Cat when the wind was stronger but in my case I don't care. As soon the wind move to 12 knots I move on a slalom board. Plus nowadays we have even a different kind of sails: bigger, lighter and easy to handle so a 9.5 on these boards could be a standard and maybe let us go in 5 to 10 knots.

emil 4th August 2007 02:29 PM

Has anyone experience to compare the boards, Phantom 380 and old F2 380 or the old Fanatic Mega Cat?
Why should I buy a Starboard Phantom 380 instead of the F2 or Mega Cat?
I'm please to pay 2 or 3 times the price of an old second hand longboard but I'd like to know why and what I get more.
Thanks

Remi 4th August 2007 05:32 PM

Hi Emil,

I know perfectly this 3 boards. I compet on them many years ago and this year develop the Phamtom race.

The Phatom Race is develope from the best Race-Board that we get in 1995 : The Van Den Berg(many World Tittle). With the modification that we add to this board, it's get planing earlier and more stable. The performances are better in non planing and keep is legendary speed up wind and dow wind in planing condition but with a better angle.

This board is perfect for a 9,5m² but you can put even bigger sail to plane even earlier but that will never beat a Formula 162 or an Apollo 2008.

The new Formula and Apollo plane realier earlier, but you need a sail of 11m² minimum full race like Rs Racing, Code Red, Tr3 etc.

The option to go fast with out planing from 2 to 10 knots is definitely the Serenity. Personaly I get 14 knots in less than 7 knots wind with an Overdrive 11m².

Hope this can help you in your choice.

All the best

Jean-Marc 5th August 2007 06:13 PM

Rémi,

Which is faster in 5 knots of wind with say a 11 m2 sail in non planing conditions : I bet Serenity > Phantom 380 >>> Apollo.

Same in 7 knots of wind in planing conditions : I bet Apollo = Phantom 380 = Serenity, i.e., not faster than twice the wind speed ?

Same with 10 knots of wind : I bet Apollo > Phantom 380 > Serenity.

Cheers !

JM

Remi 5th August 2007 09:48 PM

Hi Jean-Marc,

In speed only :

In 5 knots : Serenity > Phantom Race > Apollo
In 7 knots : Apollo > Serenity > Phantom Race
In 10 Knots : Apollo > Phantom Race > Serenity

All the best

Jean-Marc 5th August 2007 11:17 PM

Thanks Rémi !

Very instructive indeed... I guess my next challenge for 2008 will be to find somebody with an Apollo and/or a Phantom Race and do light wind drag racing with the Serenity...! Light wind windsurfing is back, can be pretty challenging at times, is highly rewarding and for sure makes tons of fun.

Cheers!

JM