Starboard Forums

Starboard Forums (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/index.php)
-   ProKids World (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Question for Kiri on Gecko diablo (http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286)

Russell 11th September 2006 01:24 AM

Question for Kiri on Gecko diablo

Hi Kiri.

I am trying to work out a Gecko diablo. I can do a flip 360 diablo but this does not seam to be working with the Gecko. I am trying to duck the sail at the beginning,.any suggestions.

At the moment this is my favourate maneuver and I am working out many variations and combining it with other moves after seeing what you did in Fuerteventura.

The Gecko is one of the maneuvers people enjoy the most learning when I am teaching. All age groups can try it.

Congratulations on your results and the best of luck for Sylt.

Russell

Russell 2nd November 2006 02:56 PM

RE: Question for Kiri on Gecko diablo

I still can not get the ducking of the sail at the beginnig to make a diablo.

But after the nose has gone into the water and the board comes back out I can get some good height now. Also I can duck the sail then so it is a duck in the air and you land and finish the gecko clew first. Still having problems at the end with the control but semmi complete.

Can this be called a new maneuver?

Also you know the Funnel. Well if you do this not planning it is a switch stance duck gybe folowed by a gecko. It feels realy good.

Again can this be called a new maneuver?

Russell

Bernd 3rd November 2006 01:27 AM

Aloha Russell,
Sounds like you are taking the Gecko to new places. That rocks. I love the Gecko also and try to do different things with it. One of my favorites is to just keep going around and around as many times as I can. See ya.
Bernd B) B)

Russell 3rd November 2006 02:55 AM

Hi Bernd.

Thanks for the reply.

I have just thought if you put the begining of the 2nd move together with the first move you get another new move.

I am also working on the light wind grubby. but I still end up doing a no wind forward. you have this problem when you are learning the normal grubby, you end up doing forwards so I know it will come.

So I know the next time I`m on the water I have a lot off work to do as I believe a lot of the planning tricks can be done not planning. You only have to have a good think about it.

Try it and let me know how you get on.

Russell

-Lampi- 30th November 2006 01:09 AM

Can you tell me how to do even a normal gecko? I think it's really cool so i want to learn it myself but i don't have a clue about it so anyting would help...

Bernd 2nd December 2006 01:05 AM

Hi again Lampi.

Kiri is the expert on this one but I learned how to do them awhile back. OK here goes....feet in straps...slow down....way down....point down wind a little....push heels down and hang on the boom....arms apart on the boom....nose sinks...look where you want to go and back wind it around. The ending is a little tricky but if you get the nose sink and the back winded part you'll get the rest in no time. Good luck.
Bernd

-Lampi- 3rd December 2006 09:38 PM

Hi again Bernd.

Which board do you use and how much do you weigh?
What kind of wind is good for learning this move?

Thanks

Bernd 5th December 2006 11:20 AM

Hi Lampi

I weigh 70 lbs. and the best conditions for this move would be light winds. I like using the Acid 47 Pro Kid. Good luck with the Gecko.

-Lampi- 8th December 2006 01:04 AM

HI

I went sailing yesterday (30 knots wind:D) and i tried a few with an 80 ltr evo .... once i hit the bottom with the nose ... lol ... but sometimes it worked out pretty good, but i'm still having trouble with sinking the board, especially the nose....it just doesnt want to go down :( ... any advice on that? my weight is 55 kg (i don't know anything about lbs...)

Sarah-Quita 21st December 2006 08:14 AM

helloo

Actually it's good that your nose hits bottom....You get up higher like that.
Just make sure there aren't any rocks or stuff on the bottom

Sarah-Quita